Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was going to comment on the National Day of Unplugging today (thanks HARDOCP) except it turns out it was yesterday. I guess the result is the same for me, I wasn't going to be any more unplugged yesterday than I would have been today. Oh well, there's always next year (who am I kidding?)

Plugged Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Stealth Hunter 2.
Clickplay Rainbow 2.
Links: Gaming Then & Now.
Long Fall Sneakers.
White-Out News. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Borat anthem stuns Kazakh gold medallist in Kuwait. Thanks brother19.
Japan tsunami 'ghost ship' drifting to Canada. Thanks brother19.
Challenge: Don't Watch - Just Listen.
HDMI cable with antivirus protection? Thanks reddit.
Media: If Angry Birds were an 80's home computer game.
Battlestar Galactica Viper Flight Simulator.
Doors.
Animated History Of Aviation.
Pacman hiding spot demonstration.
The Funnies: Brains! Thanks reddit.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2012, 22:45 xXBatmanXx

Pacman hiding spot demonstration.

Didn't everyone already know that?
That feature does not exist in Ms PacMan (which sucks when you have to pee)

You can also hide behind your score in Asteroids and not get killed.

You can also get Galaga to not shoot at you, they will only dive bomb you.

There are lots of tricks like this from 80s arcade games. It was the only way they could test things was to build this type of stuff in. I thought this one was common knowledge. I can tell you though, not ALL Pac Man cabinets do that. Newer versions of the pacman board had that code taken out, and the ghosts follow a different path set.

The Ms Pacman board that I have also has updated data and the ghost paths are rather difficult. I can get almost 2x my score at other machines than I can at home.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 21:27 Prez

By any definition of the word I can find, the Space Shuttle can be flown. Keep in mind the first Wright bros. plane was every bit as ungainly and inelegant, but it got the job done.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 20:38 Jim

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2012, 12:00:
Um.. why is the Space Shuttle absent from the History of Aviation?

There was a lot of stuff missing from that "History of Aviation" video. I wouldn't call it any kind of comprehensive set of technological firsts (although it seemed to start off that way).

One of the most puzzling aspects was mentioning the wreck of the Hindenburg (the end of the rigid airship era) while never mentioning rigid airships to begin with, which were already fairly well developed flying machines back in the Wright Brothers era.

As for the Space Shuttle, it did what it was designed to do, allowing its pilots to land it on a runway like any conventional fixed-wing aircraft after spending up to 16 days in "flight". I would say that is worthy of mention in any list of technological achievements in aviation.

Jim

9. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 17:48 Lorcin

They should really include R.Kelly in that list shouldn't they?

Joking aside where was Concord?

8. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 16:49 eRe4s3r

True.. the gliders fit under aviation but the space shuttle doesn't glide. Gliders can stay aloft with proper direction and using wind currents. The space shuttle, can not. If you call the space shuttle a flying vehicle and part of aviation, then you might as well start calling catapult projectiles that. The space shuttle just uses a slightly more powerful catapult.

Not saying it is not a great achievement.. of space development. But of aviation? Are ICBM's part of aviation? What about Saturn or Ariane rockets?

7. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 15:10 nin

It's more or a gliding brick than anything else and that's not very history worthy.

Countless experiments aside, it did help us establish our first off planet base, in the form of the ISS.

Indeed, even calling the space shuttle flight-able is a joke, it can't start on its own power, and it can't actually fly, it just sorts of falls.

Then that would put it in line with a number of gliders seen earlier in the video.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 14:24 eRe4s3r

Indeed, even calling the space shuttle flight-able is a joke, it can't start on its own power, and it can't actually fly, it just sorts of falls.

If they had given the space shuttle a place there, they'd have to nominate actual bricks. ^^

5. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 14:02 Halo

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2012, 12:00:

It's more or a gliding brick than anything else and that's not very history worthy.

4. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 13:03 Prez

Bah- unplug THIS. I don't get to game very often, so when I get time I'll usually be at my PC. Of course, I could unplug my electric guitar, and go acoustic for a day. Hard to play Avenged Sevenfold that way though...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 12:00 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 11:22 Jim

I had no idea that was going on either. Maybe next time they can schedule it for when the sky is clear. Oh well, I got a lot of work done yesterday so it wasn't a waste.  
Jim

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2012, 11:16 nin

Challenge: Don't Watch - Just Listen.

Wow, that was about 45-50 seconds too long...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo