Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors

Dutch site PSFocus reports hearing from multiple reliable sources that Bethesda Softworks has cancelled plans for Prey 2, Human Head's first-person shooter sequel. Game Informer contacted Bethesda and were told they had no comment. They also note that Game Developers Conference talks about the game were cancelled months in advance.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Apr 15, 2012, 17:36 Quinn

That ridiculous direction they went for left me cold since the first trailer I saw. It had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey, which I loved.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Apr 15, 2012, 15:18 Spektr

Well if the game is anywhere as good as it looks to be, they'd better go on with the development and sell it to another publisher with another brandname after removing everything Prey-related. Heck you are supposed to play a bounty hunter in a sci fi environment I would have talks with Lucasart to make it a Star Wars game.  

27. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 25, 2012, 13:35 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 03:49:
More realistically, Bethesda cancelled the game because it wasn't making the progress they wanted. Probably a few missed milestones and/or had disagreements on the game's direction. When someone refuses to give a comment, it almost always means "yes." After all, if the game wasn't cancelled, why wouldn't Bethesda just confirm the fact? They'd have no reason to hide the fact that a game they've already announced is still in development.

Yeah, no comment means it is dead. The game looked great but it was carefully designed to be seen the ways it was, the core game might have been complete shit.

26. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 16:38 Teddy

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 10:44:
It looked like a mainstream version of E.Y.E. If they got the PC version right without gimping it for consoles I would have gladly picked up a copy. Unfortunately we may never know. Thanks again, Bethesda!

1st strike: Rage
2nd strike: Prey 2

So releasing a game that wasn't very good earns a strike in your book, and refusing to release a game because it's not very good also earns a strike? That's pretty faulty logic.

25. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 15:17 Tehol

may be bethesda looked at the ending(s) of the game and fearing the backlash it will generate, decided to cancel the game.  

24. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 11:14 everyone

Hope this isn't true. The game sounds great.  

23. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 11:14 Kajetan

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 10:44:
Thanks again, Bethesda!
Maybe they did us a favor by cancelling another turd? As already mentioned, someone at Bethesda probably learned from previous failures.

22. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 10:44 Mad Max RW

It looked like a mainstream version of E.Y.E. If they got the PC version right without gimping it for consoles I would have gladly picked up a copy. Unfortunately we may never know. Thanks again, Bethesda!

1st strike: Rage
2nd strike: Prey 2

21. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 08:46 Dmitri_M

Yeah it looked nothing like Prey. Based on the concepts they could rebrand it as a Bladerunner style cyberpunk game and no one would be any the wiser. I think the art style drew more attention than the Prey connection.  

20. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 08:03 Ray Marden

Well...hopefully this is not the case, but this really was never much of a sequel to Prey. That aside, it would have taken a fair amount of skill and work to ensure that this was a deep, open, sandbox-style world in contrast with just having numerous "run and gun" levels.
Even then, would it have tested well with the CoD/BF players?
Guessing time will tell,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

19. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 06:23 Golwar

I wish to see a good Prey 2. But even it should be canceled, which I doubt, I still could manage to see a positive aspect. It would mean that someone at Bethesda learned from the recent desasters. And the first step to better games is to recognize that you shouldn't try to sell crap.  

18. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 04:21 Jerykk

Well, it's not like Prey wasn't rewritten umpteen times and delivered years late... oh wait, it was

Actually, it wasn't. Development on the original 3DRealms version of Prey was stopped years before development even began on the Human Head version. They were completely separate games by different developers. Hell, the 3DRealms version wasn't even much of a game. It was more of a tech demo for portals.

Duke Nukem Forever would have been a more accurate comparison.

17. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 04:16 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 03:49:

Although that would be nice, I seriously doubt that's the case here. Updating the game for next-gen consoles would require a significant amount of time and resources, as the engine and assets would all need to be upgraded and/or redone. Also, I wouldn't expect new consoles until at least 2014.

Well, it's not like Prey wasn't rewritten umpteen times and delivered years late... oh wait, it was

16. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 03:49 Jerykk

elefunk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 02:48:
They're probably cancelling it for current consoles and pushing it as a 2013 release with new consoles. The game looked great, but there's probably a lot more work to do, so at this point if it'll take them another year to finish, it would make sense for them to ride the wave of a console launch (plus PC sales) rather than limit the game to horribly aging tech.

Although that would be nice, I seriously doubt that's the case here. Updating the game for next-gen consoles would require a significant amount of time and resources, as the engine and assets would all need to be upgraded and/or redone. Also, I wouldn't expect new consoles until at least 2014.

More realistically, Bethesda cancelled the game because it wasn't making the progress they wanted. Probably a few missed milestones and/or had disagreements on the game's direction. When someone refuses to give a comment, it almost always means "yes." After all, if the game wasn't cancelled, why wouldn't Bethesda just confirm the fact? They'd have no reason to hide the fact that a game they've already announced is still in development.

15. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 02:48 elefunk

They're probably cancelling it for current consoles and pushing it as a 2013 release with new consoles. The game looked great, but there's probably a lot more work to do, so at this point if it'll take them another year to finish, it would make sense for them to ride the wave of a console launch (plus PC sales) rather than limit the game to horribly aging tech.  

14. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 02:38 jacobvandy

It's a no-name site trying to get attention. Good job indulging them...

Well, either that or it's Bethesda trying to gauge everyone's interest. Good news there is that they'd see everyone going all Darth Vader...

13. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 00:33 Sepharo

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 23:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 22:23:
silentsammy wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 21:06:
That's too bad...their CGI trailer for the game at least had me interested in the general concept behind the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvkt0QNboSk&feature=related

Just like Dead Island's CGI movie right?
If you doubt the game can match the trailer, why not check out the gameplay video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZva__rU14

Ugh definitely didn't need to see that after hearing the game is possibly canceled

12. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 00:16 Jerykk

The CGI movie looked great, the gameplay from E3 looks like any generic shooter game just with more neon lights then normal.

Generic? How many open-world shooters are there? How many have platforming mechanics? Or the ability to fly around with jet boots? Or make moral choices? Or have non-violent interactions with NPCs?

Call of Duty is generic. Battlefield is generic. Ghost Recon is generic. Medal of Honor is generic. Prey 2? Not generic.

11. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 00:07 The Half Elf

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 23:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 22:23:
silentsammy wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 21:06:
That's too bad...their CGI trailer for the game at least had me interested in the general concept behind the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvkt0QNboSk&feature=related

Just like Dead Island's CGI movie right?
If you doubt the game can match the trailer, why not check out the gameplay video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZva__rU14

The CGI movie looked great, the gameplay from E3 looks like any generic shooter game just with more neon lights then normal. Nothing in the game stood out as exceptional.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 23, 2012, 23:57 Jerykk

Shame if this is true. Prey 2 looked to be one of the more interesting shooters as of late and I enjoyed the first game.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo