Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found

The BioWare Social Network has the good news that the face import bug in Mass Effect 3 is solved, though the bad news is they are not certain when the patch with the fix will be released (thanks Computer and Video Games). Here's word:

Ok, I have what I hope is some good news.

We have fixed the issue of faces not correctly importing into Mass Effect 3. It will be included as part of the next Mass Effect 3 patch.

The not completely good news is that I do not yet have a confirmed date for when the patch will be available. A new patch gets heavily tested by BioWare, EA, Microsoft and Sony before it can be released to the public. We all want to be sure that it fixes the issues it is supposed to fix and doesn't start any new issues (this is called testing or certification testing ). If a patch fails during testing, it is sent back, fixed again and retested until it passes. Then it is released to gamers. Until we know that the patch has passed certification testing, I don't want to give even a rough idea of the date, to prevent disappointment should it need further testing.

So I'm sorry I don't have the full answer you all want and are waiting for yet. When I can give you the date when the patch will be available I will.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 25, 2012, 16:31 Dev

Flatline wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 17:36:
That is, of course, assuming that the EA servers are responding. 60% of the time they aren't and multiplayer isn't an option.
Don't worry, given EA's past history with multiplayer game servers they will shut down the servers after a year or two and you won't be able to access it at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 25, 2012, 01:34 Jerykk

I keep getting locked into place at random/odd times. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it: i have to go back to an earlier save.

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times after talking to Joker. I think it was related to triggering the dialogue while sliding down the ramp to his chair.

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 17:36 Flatline

I keep getting locked into place at random/odd times. Saving/reloading doesn't fix it: i have to go back to an earlier save. This usually happens in the bridge of the Normandy, but has happened other places as well. It's even happened in multiplayer, which blows.

That is, of course, assuming that the EA servers are responding. 60% of the time they aren't and multiplayer isn't an option.

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 16:34 Creston

Wikidd wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 07:01:
Deus Ex. In DX, you had three endings: control the world by joining the Illuminati, destroy all technology and bring the world back to the dark age or merge with an omniscient AI and become a hybrid god.

Actually, it's starting to look like that's not what really happened. There is an explanation that resolves all the plot holes and the crazy ending: Shepherd was being indoctrinated and the final ten minutes - everything after being hit by Harbinger's beam - was in his mind. There's actually subtle indications at certain points in the game that he's being brought under the influence of the Reapers.

So they didn't just steal the ending from DX, they stole it from Neon Genesis Evangelion too!

Short explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg
Longer one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

If that turns out to be the correct explanation, it turns Bioware from assholes in a bad way to assholes in a good way.

Bioware has basically admitted that that's not what happens. It's a nice theory after the fact, and I'd heartily suggest that Bioware takes it and pretends like they really WERE doing that, but they meant the ending exactly like it happened.

Creston

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 15:51 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 02:10:
What 10 year old game was that? For once it seems appropriate to have an ending featuring a kind of machine god, given they're central to the whole Mass Effect story.

Deus Ex. In DX, you had three endings: control the world by joining the Illuminati, destroy all technology and bring the world back to the dark age or merge with an omniscient AI and become a hybrid god. ME3 basically has the same three endings: control the Reapers, destroy all synthetic life or merge synthetic and organic life.

The key difference is that the endings in DX were all consistent with the main theme of the game. DX was all about conflicting philosophies of rulership. By choosing to join the Illuminati, you agreed that the world was best ruled by a small group of people hiding behind the scenes, able to alter the course of civilization without needing to answer to the people. By merging with the AI, you believed that the world was best ruled by a single, all-knowing and all-powerful entity, removing any political or ideological barriers that would hinder progress. By destroying all technology and decentralizing the world's leadership, you were saying that people should ultimately rule themselves, free from the influence/restrictions of a larger government.

Conversely, the endings in ME3 all revolve around a side-theme (the conflict between organics and synthetics) which was never the focus of the series. The theme of the series has always revolved around the ability for people to overcome biological and cultural differences and unite for the greater good. That's one of the many reasons why people didn't like the ending of ME3. It didn't really correlate with what you did throughout the series.

Wow... Excellent post, Jerykk.

Creston

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 15:47 Creston

I'm pretty sure Bioware knew about this "bug" beforehand, and never had any kind of intention of fixing it. Several comments from their devs basically said "Yeah, customer characters made in ME1 aren't going to import properly in ME3. Suck it."

But they're suffering enough negative backlash that they fixed this and hope it's a bone that takes the heat off a little.

Creston

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 12:55 deqer

Yet again, another game rushed out with broken/unfinished/untested shit because of 1) non-techie amateur management with unrealistic deadlines. 2) greed.  

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 11:07 Dev

Wikidd wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 07:01:
Actually, it's starting to look like that's not what really happened.
Or it could be fans desperately wanting to believe that bioware are less arrogant jerks than they are, and so are grasping at straws for reasons to believe they didn't just blow off the ending.

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 09:21 shinchan0s

All the custom faces I've seen (on Youtube) look like ass. Who cares? Just use the default face.  

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 08:25 hello newman

yawn effect ...
Risen 2 coming
pirates!

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 07:01 Wikidd

Deus Ex. In DX, you had three endings: control the world by joining the Illuminati, destroy all technology and bring the world back to the dark age or merge with an omniscient AI and become a hybrid god.

Actually, it's starting to look like that's not what really happened. There is an explanation that resolves all the plot holes and the crazy ending: Shepherd was being indoctrinated and the final ten minutes - everything after being hit by Harbinger's beam - was in his mind. There's actually subtle indications at certain points in the game that he's being brought under the influence of the Reapers.

So they didn't just steal the ending from DX, they stole it from Neon Genesis Evangelion too!

Short explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg
Longer one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

If that turns out to be the correct explanation, it turns Bioware from assholes in a bad way to assholes in a good way.

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 05:59 wonkawonka

To add to @Jerykk's point, the fact that the reapers are synthetic is completely irrelevant to the story.
I haven't played ME3 yet (waiting for a suitably fixed version), but to me the only reason they made the reapers synthetic is to show a massively advanced and god-like enemy. Because at our current level of knowledge, it is easiest for us to visualize advancement to the singularity through man-machine bonding.
After all, is anyone today discussing adding neurons to the brain or finding ways to make their connections faster?

11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 03:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 03:11:
Is the patch that makes the endng not suck?
Not yet.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 03:11 Cutter

Is the patch that makes the endng not suck?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 02:55 Jerykk

...against the threat from synthetic or synthetic-controlled enemies.

The only time it's not organic life vs. synthetic life is when and if you convince the Geth (minor synthetic bad guys) to work with you against the Reapers (major synthetic bad guys).

In ME1, the majority of enemies are Geth. In ME2, the majority of enemies are mercenaries. In ME3, the majority of enemies are either human Cerberus soldiers or organic indoctrinated beings. Your primary goal in all three games is to convince the different species to cast aside their differences and unite. That's the main theme of the series and what you spend the majority of time trying to do. The Reapers are simply a catalyst for this. It's like zombie fiction. In any zombie movie, fighting zombies is not the central theme. The central theme is the conflict between the survivors and how they cope with the breakdown of society.

Really, the fact that the Reapers are synthetic is completely irrelevant to the central theme of the series. They could be organic and the games would be exactly the same. You'd still be trying to convince the different species to unite for the greater good. Star Control 2 and Dragon Age had the exact same theme and the main threats in those games were organic.

8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 02:39 Ruffiana

Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 02:10:
Conversely, the endings in ME3 all revolve around a side-theme (the conflict between organics and synthetics) which was never the focus of the series.

Except for it being the major protaganist for 90% of all 3 games.

The theme of the series has always revolved around the ability for people to overcome biological and cultural differences and unite for the greater good...

...against the threat from synthetic or synthetic-controlled enemies.

The only time it's not organic life vs. synthetic life is when and if you convince the Geth (minor synthetic bad guys) to work with you against the Reapers (major synthetic bad guys).

7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 02:10 Jerykk

What 10 year old game was that? For once it seems appropriate to have an ending featuring a kind of machine god, given they're central to the whole Mass Effect story.

Deus Ex. In DX, you had three endings: control the world by joining the Illuminati, destroy all technology and bring the world back to the dark age or merge with an omniscient AI and become a hybrid god. ME3 basically has the same three endings: control the Reapers, destroy all synthetic life or merge synthetic and organic life.

The key difference is that the endings in DX were all consistent with the main theme of the game. DX was all about conflicting philosophies of rulership. By choosing to join the Illuminati, you agreed that the world was best ruled by a small group of people hiding behind the scenes, able to alter the course of civilization without needing to answer to the people. By merging with the AI, you believed that the world was best ruled by a single, all-knowing and all-powerful entity, removing any political or ideological barriers that would hinder progress. By destroying all technology and decentralizing the world's leadership, you were saying that people should ultimately rule themselves, free from the influence/restrictions of a larger government.

Conversely, the endings in ME3 all revolve around a side-theme (the conflict between organics and synthetics) which was never the focus of the series. The theme of the series has always revolved around the ability for people to overcome biological and cultural differences and unite for the greater good. That's one of the many reasons why people didn't like the ending of ME3. It didn't really correlate with what you did throughout the series.

6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 01:40 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 21:24:
Wake me when they release a patch that fixes the Deus Ex ending they ripped off from a 10 year old game.

5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 00:40 Slashman

Dev wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 21:56:
My guess is it could take almost a month to get certified by MS.

They could bypass that and just release the PC one right now as a beta, let the customers beta test it.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Surely you jest...

4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 23, 2012, 21:56 Dev

My guess is it could take almost a month to get certified by MS.

They could bypass that and just release the PC one right now as a beta, let the customers beta test it.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo