Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?

An interview on Eurogamer.net talking with Ubisoft's Chris Early offers hope that Ubisoft is taking a different view on digital rights management from the outlook that inspired them to create the strictest DRM scheme in the game industry. Chris talks about the addition of value as a way of combating piracy, though some of his comments on this value seem focused on the cloud, which doesn't seem that separated from online DRM. He does, however indicate a shifting position, and while he doesn't promise DRM-free titles from Ubisoft just yet, he doesn't rule them out for the future:

"Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no," he said. "Otherwise, other than works of charity, there would be few games made. The balance, however, is, how do we do anything about that and not harm the person who is giving us value for that?

"That's been the delicate balance that the industry has walked over time. It continues to be one that we grapple with as an industry. How do we create content and receive good value for that, and at the same time, not inconvenience the player who has given us value there?

"I don't know that there is a perfect answer today. There are some technological answers. There are some design answers. There have been different approaches from different publishers at times, some doing no DRM and just assuming it's the cost of doing business. Some are doing a very strict DRM. Some doing an on-going content revision. I don't think we have a single, good answer yet. The interesting thing will be, how do we create enough value that that need for DRM goes away?"

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 16:23 TurdFergasun

perhaps ubisoft just needs to stick to consoles then. indie devs could use the miniscule vacuum left in their wake. nobody of actual consequence within the pc gaming community buy's ubisoft's BS anymore anyway. the people that tend to fund ubisoft's filth no matter how far they go down the DRM toilet are glorified console users in the first place. just cause they have a keyboard and mouse, doesn't make them pc gamers. pc gaming is a stone that will yield no blood, they need to stop squeezing or they're gonna have an industry wide stroke.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 15:46 Dmitri_M

Dev wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 11:24:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 08:37:
Dev wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 19:46:
And yet I don't see notch crying about it. I don't see him putting crazy DRM into his game
Notch and Minecraft are an anomaly. You think he even expected the level of success he got? Obviously he's not crying about piracy.

You can't compare the occasional hit indie game to products developed for a specific target market with investors, publishers and deadlines. High budget titles are designed to succeed EVERYTIME, they're not created for "fun".
I wasn't the one that started the comparison.

Shrug. I wasn't aiming anything specifically your way. There's enough people bringing indie games into this conversation though. I don't think those titles have much relevancy. Unless you're an idealist that believes large scale for profit enterprises should behave like mom and pop operations and do things for the "love of it".

47. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 11:24 Dev

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 08:37:
And yet I don't see notch crying about it. I don't see him putting crazy DRM into his game
Notch and Minecraft are an anomaly. You think he even expected the level of success he got? Obviously he's not crying about piracy.

You can't compare the occasional hit indie game to products developed for a specific target market with investors, publishers and deadlines. High budget titles are designed to succeed EVERYTIME, they're not created for "fun".
I wasn't the one that started the comparison.

46. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 08:41 Dmitri_M

Jivaro wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 02:06:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 00:28:
Exactly. It's been proven time and time again that a game's success or failure has nothing to do with piracy.

True, however if you prevent or at least delay piracy you might be able to sell more of a completely crappy game then if people can test it first. That is why we get less demos...and demos that expire after a game launches. Hide how crappy it is so you can still pawn it off. Again..screwing over the legitimate paying customer.

Actually most devs don't sit in large leather chairs with cats on their arms strumming their fingers on a mahogany desk thinking "Don't release the DEMO or they'll realise our plan for world domination!"

PC market isn't important enough\PC gamers sample games in other ways = not worth creating a PC demo.

45. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 08:37 Dmitri_M

44. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 02:06 Jivaro

Jerykk wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 00:28:
Exactly. It's been proven time and time again that a game's success or failure has nothing to do with piracy.

True, however if you prevent or at least delay piracy you might be able to sell more of a completely crappy game then if people can test it first. That is why we get less demos...and demos that expire after a game launches. Hide how crappy it is so you can still pawn it off. Again..screwing over the legitimate paying customer.

43. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 24, 2012, 00:28 Jerykk

You can make the best game in the world, and people will still steal it because they can.
Minecraft for example, has sold millions of copies, but at the same time it has millions of pirated copies out there being played.

Exactly. It's been proven time and time again that a game's success or failure has nothing to do with piracy. If piracy were a significant factor, then the most pirated games would also sell the worst, which is almost never the case. The games with the most hype and marketing always sell the most and get pirated the most. That's why trying to stop pirates is a waste of time and resources. You can't stop them without resorting to draconian methods that hurt your legitimate customers, so why bother? Hell, such DRM likely loses more sales than piracy. I know that I haven't purchased any Ubisoft games that use UbiDRM, even when they were dirt cheap.

42. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 20:16 Clancy

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 18:31:
You can make the best game in the world, and people will still steal it because they can.
Minecraft for example, has sold millions of copies, but at the same time it has millions of pirated copies out there being played.
And a large percentage of those millions bought it because it was DRM free--which allowed them to play it on any machine, they want, at any time. Novel concept these days.
If you listen to your customers, instead of beating them down with a DRM stick, they tend to reward you in return.

41. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 19:46 Dev

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 18:31:
And yet I don't see notch crying about it. I don't see him putting crazy DRM into his game. Its an outstanding indie success, and the piracy hasn't seemed to slow that down. It also doesn't have AAA level graphics, and isn't on consoles (yet anyway).

IMO the biggest problem an indie game has is marketing and exposure and word of mouth (same as indie music etc), basically just getting people to know about it. And I think it could be argued that in that case, piracy could actually benefit.

The wasteland 2 blog had an interesting post about a few experiences Fargo has had so far during the funding. One of them was from someone who formerly pirated the game and he decided to make it up to Fargo by donating $10,000.

40. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 19:26 Prez

Like others have mentioned, there really is no basis from this interview for the "DRM Stance Softening" assumption. It merely sounds like the whiny bitches at Ubisoft crying about piracy and defending their indefensible DRM. I expect no change from this embarrassment of a game publishing studio.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 18:40 Closed Betas

Too late, Ubisoft, is and always shall be banned in this household.. Gamers hold our grudges, as its all we have. FU Ubisoft.. We have missed nothing from you!!  

38. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 18:31 The Half Elf

gilly775 wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 11:16:
The perfect answer is to fund and publish games that people want to play and overall have fun with. Adding DRM enticed crap won't bring in massive sales. I think I spent more money on indie games an projects in the last year because they are fun and don't prevent me from playing them when a DRM service/service goes down.

Honestly, the last Ubisoft game I bought brand new was
Silent Hunter V and I stopped buying Ubisoft games new since because of the hell I had trying to play the game without getting disconnected from their servers.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 17:40 Dev

Veterator wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 17:33:
You'll notice they aren't going back and removing DRM from their older titles to let people put their money where their mouth is and buy the games DRM free.
Yep, exactly. If they actually DO something like removing the always on internet requirement from some back titles, I'd be inclined to take this more seriously. Until then, its blithering.

36. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 17:33 Veterator

You'll notice they aren't going back and removing DRM from their older titles to let people put their money where their mouth is and buy the games DRM free.

I think that's because they are afraid they will find out that they actually earn money from that action and it might expose the FUD the industry keeps spreading about the need for DRM because otherwise EVERYONE pirates instead of buying.

Say it, do everything in your power to make it true, repeat it, then get laws passed to insure your revenue stream in spite of anything you may do. That's the US media conglomerate way.

35. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 17:06 Jeraxle

Every time Chris Early says the word "value" replace it with the word "money". It will make more sense for you because that's exactly what he means. He isn't talking about adding anything to their games. He's asking the question of how much more money Ubisoft would have to charge their loyal customers in order to make no DRM cost effective.  
Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

34. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 16:53 Armengar

My steam directory of 136 games fit on a 1tb drive so 291 isnt too much of a stretch to fit on a 3tb external hard drive. As far as pen drives I reckon if I kill the big hitters such as shogun 2, TF2 and skrymm then 100 would fit of a 256gb pen (although £350 for a 256gb pen drive is fair lunacy!)

I havent bought anything from Ubi since they put the DRM there. Thats settlers, assassins creed and silent hunter. Remove the DRM and i'll buy all three. Plenty of other games out there to spend my money on.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

33. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 16:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Maybe they'll like...remove it from some other games. I'm still waiting to pick up settlers 7.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 15:42 ochentay4

m0deth wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 13:50:
@ochentay4

Show me a pen drive that can fit 291 games with installers and I'm there!

Do you even hear yourself? Maybe you might not know this, when you purchase a game license(and that's all it is)...you are protected from such nightmare situations, as even upon dissolution, either Valve, or the Publishers that signed on with them, would have to provide a way for you to access your licensed content. One way or the other.

Yeah, it would be a total pain, especially for that many games, but to say the fear is there because they may go under is like saying you shouldn't buy a Ford because your local dealership may go under. Kinda silly.

Now if Congress/SCOTUS continues to think they way they do lately, maybe those protections would be gone, I dunno, but then, Valve wouldn't exactly be to blame for that would they?
Is it that difficult to understand to you that there are 1TB portable USB Hard Drives (which I have many since I need them) available crying for DRM free games?

31. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 15:38 Dmitri_M

No solution to any of this, beyond perhaps publishers resigning themselves to piracy.

Publishers will always see pirated games as lost sales even when that isn't the case.

There's a large group of gamers who will freeload regardless of how good a title is. Although I hesitate to call them "gamers". There are a lot of people who just pirate anything because they can.

These "gamers" who pirate major titles aren't the ones buying indie games. Gamer's boycotting titles because of DRM are way in the minority. Publishers probably lump you in with the pirates. No amount of arguing is going to change their view on you, no amount of stating that you're boycotting a game over the DRM is going to change much beyond your ego.

Sadly, those of us willing to pay for PC titles are stuck in the middle. It's going to be that way for the foreseeable future.

30. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 15:27 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 12:41:
Haven't bought a UBI game since the DRMless Prince of Persia and will not give them a single cent until they remove the DRM.

Ditto.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo