Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Angry Birds Space and Demo Released

Rovio Entertainment now offers Angry Birds Space, the new variant on the airborne exploits of their very popular, if temperamental birdies. This includes a Windows PC edition for which a playable demo is provided. The demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell, and here's word on the game, and its inclusion of the (Laaaanaaaa!) danger zone:

Angry Birds Space introduces you to new adventures on planets and in zero gravity, resulting in spectacular gameplay ranging from slow-motion puzzles to lightspeed destruction. With brand new birds, brand new superpowers, and a whole galaxy to explore, the sky is no longer the limit!

Also featuring the DANGER ZONE, the most difficult Angry Birds levels ever! Can you master the Danger Zone?

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 17:00 Creston

Btw, the space levels are pretty awesome. The gravity effects are fun to figure out, and they lead to some cool new tactics.

There are even some Asteroids levels

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2012, 17:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 10:54 Creston

J wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 06:02:
beigemore wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 03:46:
But what if I'm not on an airplane? That's lying!

Try holding it higher and running around whilst making spitfire noises. Then it's more like stretching the truth than lying

Hehehehe. Bravo.

It might also add a challenge to playing!

Like someone said before, Angry Birds comes at a cost of exactly zero dollars. For that amount of money, it's pretty fun. Plus they're designing some wickedly hard levels nowadays, where you really have to strategize to get through them.

<3 Angry Birds.

Creston

18. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 10:18 Beamer

nin wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 09:58:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 23:01:
This is the dumbest game. What is the attraction to it?

People think it's fun?

Successful mobile games really need a few key factors:
1) Very intuitive (and simple) interface
2) Very intuitive (and simple to observe) mechanics
3) Depth behind those mechanics, and a feeling that you do better with planning and skill rather than luck and cheapness
4) Short rounds with quick failure, as they're often played to pass time (e.g., waiting room, on a bus, etc.)
5) Replayability, which is done best by having a star system demonstrating mastery. Sure, you beat that level, but did you get 3 stars?

Angry Birds was one of the first games to do all of this and have personality. It's a ton of fun if you're killing time but may have to turn it off at a moment's notice. It doesn't feel cheap, and getting 3 stars on some levels does require planning.

Is it a great game? For what it is, yes. It's nothing I'd sit at a desk playing, but I'll damn well play it on my phone when I have nothing else to do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:58 nin

People think it's fun?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:55 Ant

No kidding.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:53 VogelAP

I am somewhat over ANGRY BIRDS. Well, completely over it, really.  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

14. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:49 Alamar

Ecthelion wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 09:24:
If I were a suspicious person I might think those "rip off" comments were just trolling... I'd like to see some names to back up those claims.

I believe the genre is 'catapult' (games)... A google search will list a bunch, like crush the castle.

I don't know the relative launch dates, but I played a handful a good bit before Angry Birds showed up.. In my opinion, they pulled a Blizzard; took a fairly new genre and made a game with a lot of production value.

So basically, AB is not the first, or the best, but it does have mass market appeal (that mostly just means it's cute : ).

-Alamar

13. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:45 Frijoles

It's a ripoff of Crush the Castle, I believe. I give them credit for their artwork, though. It's cute enough to have mass appeal and get toys in to Toys R Us. I enjoy the game. It's cheap and entertaining. And lots of other games rip each other off.

If the devs are egotistical, though, then fuck them.

12. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:24 Ecthelion

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 23:09:
Rovio is the Nickleback of game development. They take a genre others have done far better things with before, make something in it that's serviceable at best, take no risks with it whatsoever, make it as dumbed down and mainstream as it can possibly be, iterate only as little as they have to each time, get rich off it and then prance around like their god's gift to the artform. Angry Birds was a lucky hit for them but to hear their CEO talk, you'd think he practically invented video games.
I certainly don't think Angry Birds is a revolutionary game (although its success is impossible to deny), and egotistical developers/publishers get on my nerves as much as the next person. But the game series is enjoyable for what it is - a casual phone game to pass the time between more serious gaming sessions.

Also, I keep seeing people say Angry Birds ripped off earlier, better games, yet nobody ever mentions those games by name. I'd like to know what games Angry Birds ripped off. If Angry Birds is a poor example of the genre, I'd certainly like to try the better ones.

If I were a suspicious person I might think those "rip off" comments were just trolling... I'd like to see some names to back up those claims.

11. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 09:12 theyarecomingforyou

SectorEffector wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 06:16:
I don't think it's free on the other hundreds of platforms.
Yeah, but 99p / 1.99 is hardly breaking the bank now, is it?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 08:13 NoyzRulz

Really? It's the new Super Mario Brothers for the mobile phone. Ridiculously simple and entertaining. The difference is I currently own 3 Angry Bird games and new levels are added for free. My total investment for literally hundreds of hours of play? $2.97. Have you played it? I get a little bored with it once in a while but in the long run I can't think of any game that gives you countless hours of play for a few bucks.

9. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 06:16 SectorEffector

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 02:58:
SectorEffector wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:18:
Give us all of your money all over again, we disabled gravity in the debug!
Hardly. It's free if you play it on Android, which is just about cheap enough for me.

I don't think it's free on the other hundreds of platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

8. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 06:02 J

beigemore wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 03:46:

Try holding it higher and running around whilst making spitfire noises. Then it's more like stretching the truth than lying

7. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 03:46 beigemore

6. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 03:38 jdreyer

Also, if you put your phone into airplane mode when you play, no ads will show.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 23, 2012, 02:58 theyarecomingforyou

SectorEffector wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:18:
Hardly. It's free if you play it on Android, which is just about cheap enough for me.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 22, 2012, 23:09 Parallax Abstraction

Rovio is the Nickleback of game development. They take a genre others have done far better things with before, make something in it that's serviceable at best, take no risks with it whatsoever, make it as dumbed down and mainstream as it can possibly be, iterate only as little as they have to each time, get rich off it and then prance around like their god's gift to the artform. Angry Birds was a lucky hit for them but to hear their CEO talk, you'd think he practically invented video games.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 22, 2012, 23:01 Ozmodan

2. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 22, 2012, 22:53 Creston

"What would you call this zone, in which you might run into danger?"

"A zone with danger in it?"

"Oh, come on!"

Archer FTW.

Creston

1. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 22, 2012, 22:18 SectorEffector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo