Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns

The Wing Commander Saga Website is in low-bandwidth mode in an effort to stay online amid the demand for the promised release of Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, the fan-created project based on the Wing Commander series of space combat games. The Windows version is the first to be released, and they say the Linux and OS X editions are still in the works. They have a list of mirrors and the download can also be found on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell. Here's what they have to say to mark the occasion:

On many occasions, we have referred to Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn as a labor of love. That is truly what it has been for us. Many years ago, Chris Roberts and his team at Origin ignited our imaginations with their innovative, blockbuster Wing Commander series. Our hope has always been that with Wing Commander Saga, we could recapture that excitement and magic to some degree and share it with all of you. Our ten year development process has certainly taught us even more respect for just how innovative and brilliant Chris Roberts and his team are. Our development of Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn is meant as an homage to them and what they achieved, and we would like to thank them and EA, who holds the intellectual property for Wing Commander. We would also like to thank all the sites who have generously offered to provide mirrors for Saga.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

6. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 17:38 Prez

Understanding that it is based on Freespace 2 engine, which didn't use cockpits, I still miss the cockpits from the early Wing Commander games. Yeah, I know, they were actually a way of limiting how much had to be rendered on-screen at one time in the days when processing power was limited, but I just don't feel quite like I'm playing a WC game without them. Even today I am very fond of cockpit views.

Small complaint though - I'm thrilled that this made it to release.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 17:21 Dev

What with this project calling attention to itself from EA, and naming other projects going on, probably a good idea to get this while one can.
Wildone wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:58:
So hows the flight mechanics? Arcadey, Newtonian or mixture of both?
Its been a while since I played wing commander, but as I recall it was a mix of both. I recall a certain key one could hold to disable thrusters so you could do a slide/strafe type of maneuver.

Now as to what this one is, I don't know.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 17:39.

4. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 15:58 Wildone

So hows the flight mechanics? Arcadey, Newtonian or mixture of both?  

3. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 15:36 Prez

Thank God for torrents. Downloading now - so glad this made it to release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 15:26 Verno

Looks cool, I'll check it out when I get home. I really miss the WC and Freespace franchises.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

1. Re: Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn Dawns Mar 22, 2012, 15:14 Tumbler

Anybody see a Torrent for this? Seems like a perfect fit for Torrents.

Over 3GB of goodness!

Nvrmind, That Gamershell link has a torrent option.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo