Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vanguard Going Free-to-Play

The March 2012 Vanguard Producer's Letter announces Vanguard is going free-to-play. Here's word on the MMORPG jumping on the free bandwagon, or off the sinking subscription ship, depending on your outlook:

At SOE, giving players choices is the theme of how we're moving forward as a company. We see free-to-play (or as we refer to it, Free to Play. Your Way.) as a big part of our future and we like the flexibility it offers players. Therefore, I'm happy to announce Vanguard will be the next in line of our AAA games to make this transition. Since we've literally just begun on the work, I'm not ready to go into much detail. However, I will say that you can expect something similar to EverQuest®, EverQuest® II and DC Universe™ Online

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 23, 2012, 22:20 Dev

Don't they mean Pay 2 Win?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 23, 2012, 09:27 Ant

MuzixMon wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 18:45:
Everytime I see the title "Vanguard" I think of the old arcade video game "vanguard" from the 80's. I could still remember it well, music and all. I think it was suppose to be the sequel to Defender, it sure looked and played a lot like it.
Me too on Atari 2600! I am surprised they can use that old name. So is this MMOG any better than its beta days? It was OK back then.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 MisterBenn

Yeah I remember Vanguard from the Atari 2600. The music was from the Flash Gordon birdman attack!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

11. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 18:45 MuzixMon

Everytime I see the title "Vanguard" I think of the old arcade video game "vanguard" from the 80's. I could still remember it well, music and all. I think it was suppose to be the sequel to Defender, it sure looked and played a lot like it.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

10. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 15:34 wtf_man

Drezden wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 14:18:
SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:23:
SOE - Where MMOs refuse to die.

I'm surprised they haven't acquired Horizons (http://www.istaria.com) yet.

Oh my god that game was sooooo bad. My Planetside outfit was looking for something else to do once PS started dieing down thanks to Core Combat being asstastic. And we beta tested that load of dung. Holy shit. I thought it never made it out the door, I didn't know they changed the name and released that failure of coding.

Actually... it released as "Horizons"... went through being sold and bought by 3 different companies... and finally ended up with a company created by some of the original devs, who then changed the name.

9. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 14:18 Trevellian

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:23:

Oh my god that game was sooooo bad. My Planetside outfit was looking for something else to do once PS started dieing down thanks to Core Combat being asstastic. And we beta tested that load of dung. Holy shit. I thought it never made it out the door, I didn't know they changed the name and released that failure of coding.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

8. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 14:05 Umbragen

....Maybe when they start paying me to play it.

7. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 14:03 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 13:14:
This game could have been so good! Anyway, I'll give it a whirl when it's F2P. I seem to recall I enjoyed the bard class a lot in this game.

The concept of the game was very promising...it just suffered from moronic management and a troubled development team.

6. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 13:14 Cutter

This game could have been so good! Anyway, I'll give it a whirl when it's F2P. I seem to recall I enjoyed the bard class a lot in this game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 12:29 Acleacius

I would love to go *WOOT!* but this is soe. They gave us EQ2 and EQ1 F2P, which are both fails compared to the system of LotRO and so many others.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 12:24 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:03:
Wow, Vanguard's still around????

I was about to type the same thing.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 12:23 SimplyMonk

2. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 11:03 nin

Wow, Vanguard's still around????

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 11:02 Illumin

I don't think this game even had 1 expansion did it? Maybe they will get 3 or 4 people waiting on guild wars. Then loose those and the other 3 or 4 people that are playing.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo