Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware Reviews

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 19:01 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:10:
That new card looks awesome but I do not see any games on the PC as of right now or in the near future that even remotely worth upgrading my PC for. If I were building a new PC I'd get that 680 for sure but otherwise, my GTX570 can run the stream of console ports just fine.

Totally agree - I haven't turned on the factory set overclocking speeds on my alienware since I got it 2 years ago, been waiting for the pc to struggle and it doesn't, even with what on paper seems an ageing card (ati 5870).

Hopefully by next year with the new consoles nearing our PCs may start to get pushed again but atm they're pretty overpowered.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 16:10 Ray Marden

Rumors are the 680 was going to be the mainstream performance model, but that AMD's new line was so lackluster that the 680 was able to compete with the 7970. As such, we were stripped of a mainstream card and Nvidia is allowed to slap a $500.00 tag on it.

AMD will be pushing a dual-GPU solution and trying to come out with some faster models, but NvIdiA already has its own dual-GPU solution in the works and - again, based on rumors - the true high end card from nvidia trounces anything AMD can come up with.

That aside...I just purchased a 7870. I was running a 2GB 6950, but my wife got a new system so I tossed that into hers and bought the 7870 for $350. As others have noted, there is no real need for this, especially on the PC side of things, and I would not have purchased this if not for the overall situation. And a $500 card? Two $500 cards? A $800+ card? Forget it.
New cards with $$$ premiums just barely beating year old cards. Yay.
Nothing that the $300+ market has to wait another two months or so for its model,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 15:41 jacobvandy

Well I've heard that the GTX 680 isn't even their high-end Kepler... Their naming scheme becomes more and more convoluted with every new product launch.  

4. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 15:33 killer_roach

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:10:
That new card looks awesome but I do not see any games on the PC as of right now or in the near future that even remotely worth upgrading my PC for. If I were building a new PC I'd get that 680 for sure but otherwise, my GTX570 can run the stream of console ports just fine.

Pretty much... I'm running a 560Ti (pretty heavily overclocked), and haven't had need to go with anything faster. I was hoping that the 680 was going to scorch through compute benchmarks, so maybe I could justify it for video encoding work, but it looks like it may be slower than the 580 in that respect, so I guess I'm sticking with my current card for the foreseeable future.

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 15:27 Verno

Yep, pretty much no need for that now or the foreseeable future unless you're doing crazy high rez multimon setups. Next gen console launches is a smarter time to buy.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 15:10 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 22, 2012, 14:27 Bucky

This is what I've been waiting for. Once Intel gets Ivy Bridge out the door, I'll wait a month or two for those initial release premiums to disappear, and then it's time to build a new rig with the GTX680 powering it.

I was really hoping NVIDIA would put out a good card, and they have. It seems like they've flipped roles with AMD this generation, with the NVIDIA card being the more efficient of the two now. I've also had less problems with NVIDIA drivers, my 5850 has suffered from numerous driver issues over the last couple of years. So long as NVIDIA was competitive I was jumping ship, and it turns out they've got the better card right now.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo