Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock 2011 Customer Report

Stardock's Annual 2011 Customer Report (Adobe Acrobat format) has the private company's latest public assessment of where they stand. They discuss game plans, their desktop apps, and the sale of Impulse, which the report's conclusion says will lead to visible results:

Conclusions 2011 was Stardockís most successful year since its incorporation in 1993. It used the capital gained from the sale of Impulse to bring in world-class talent and evaluate the accelerating trends in consumer software. Over the next 18 months, it hopes to begin announcing a wide range of new products, games, and technologies.

For our industry, itís a time of transition. The PC consumer market could potentially see a consolidation in which virtually all PC games are sold either through Steam, GameStop Impulse, Battle.net, or Origin while non-games end up on a Microsoft Marketplace type system.

While these changes are taking place, the mobile space is exploding. Developers who were once PC developers are migrating in ever greater number to either iOS or Android. And Apple, with AirPlay, is setting itself up to compete head-to-head with the next generation console offerings.

It is a good time to be a software developer. Itís an even better time to be a software consumer.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 23, 2012, 15:16 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 23:08:
Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:52:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:07:
I interned there for three months.
Any stories from when you interned there?

Bees.
Oh come on you are gonna leave us with that?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 23:31 draginol

I still use icon developer regularly. Great for making game png objects too.  

32. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 23:08 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:52:

Bees.

31. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 23:07 Sepharo

Brad's a great guy and he runs an awesome studio right in Michigan, even if he did go to wmich and I went cmich Never heard him mention politics while I was there once... about as political as it would get is SDC vs Steam. But I'm glad to see Stardock titles on Steam finally.

And even though I may rag on that app a bit it's the experience and proof-in-the-pudding that got me the great job I have today.

Oh... hey Brad!

Wish you all success man. (Re)make Windows 8 awesome.

30. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 21:50 draginol

Hi guys, Just to set the record straight because I notice this happens on BN every time there's a Stardock article, I have never watched Glenn Beck or "supported" him. I'm not particularly political (no more than the next person). If I had to classify myself, I'm somewhat of a libertarian.

Also, I can assure you that Stardock is committed to PC game development for the long haul.

29. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 20:52 Dev

28. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 20:07 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 16:13:
m0deth wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 13:02:
Stardock's money maker (before the one-time sale of Impulse/SDC) was their Windows customization products. I wonder how that fits into Windows 8.

If their app to bring back the start menu is any indication, they are still writing bloated, buggy, non-useful software as always. Oh yeah, and they are proud of this all somehow....gotta love marketers

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Objectdock and Windowblinds are awesome.

He's not totally incorrect... They're still selling the very first thing I ever coded for $20. I did it by myself, with not a clue in the world, as I interned there for three months. It gets the job done but yeah lol.

I don't really feel too bad calling them out on that one because... that shit should be replaced

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 23:09.

27. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 19:12 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:03:
MS has said they are unifying the OS across platforms. When you "unify" two platforms where one is vastly less capable, that means you end up dumbing down the more capable one. Dumbing down the windows 8 interface to match tablets, removing options for advanced users to tweak it back, and removing familiar options like the start button is kinda stupid.
That simply isn't what they've done. Metro Start is designed for high resolution displays and customisability as much as it is for tablets, while options have been ADDED for quick access to advanced functionality (Device Manager, Disk Management, Network Options, Power Options, System, etc). Having used it with a 2560x1440 resolution monitor I have to say it's a definite improvement over the Start Menu, at least for me.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 17:25 Beamer

Dev wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:03:
coldcut wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 02:10:
dubfanatic wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 23:05:
Dev wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 22:18:
... useless gibberish here ...

Maybe you should try the Windows 8 Preview before you make yourself look like a fool.
This. Any further words would be wasted.
And yet you still felt the need to reply? You might want to check out the changes MS has done in the latest preview.

MS has said they are unifying the OS across platforms. When you "unify" two platforms where one is vastly less capable, that means you end up dumbing down the more capable one. Dumbing down the windows 8 interface to match tablets, removing options for advanced users to tweak it back, and removing familiar options like the start button is kinda stupid. Now you just hover over where the start button used to be. Yeah no one at all will be confused by that.

All this aside, your original statement was that they removed the classic desktop. They did not.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 17:03 Dev

coldcut wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 02:10:

Maybe you should try the Windows 8 Preview before you make yourself look like a fool.
And yet you still felt the need to reply? You might want to check out the changes MS has done in the latest preview.

MS has said they are unifying the OS across platforms. When you "unify" two platforms where one is vastly less capable, that means you end up dumbing down the more capable one. Dumbing down the windows 8 interface to match tablets, removing options for advanced users to tweak it back, and removing familiar options like the start button is kinda stupid. Now you just hover over where the start button used to be. Yeah no one at all will be confused by that.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 17:18.

24. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 16:13 Creston

m0deth wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 13:02:
Stardock's money maker (before the one-time sale of Impulse/SDC) was their Windows customization products. I wonder how that fits into Windows 8.

If their app to bring back the start menu is any indication, they are still writing bloated, buggy, non-useful software as always. Oh yeah, and they are proud of this all somehow....gotta love marketers

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Objectdock and Windowblinds are awesome.

Creston

23. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 13:02 m0deth

22. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 08:59 spindoctor

either through Steam, GameStop Impulse, Battle.net, or Origin

Look at them pretending that they belong on the list alongside Steam or BNet. I'm almost certain gog and Gamersgate do more business than Impulse, and heck I wouldn't be surprised if even the new Green Man Gaming beat out Impulse sales in the last year.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

21. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 07:10 Dmitri_M

Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 22:10:

MS has removed the ability to go to classic windows mode from windows 8 to lock in everyone into the new metro UI (in other words, dumbing down PC's to make them closer to phone/tablet style). Everything is going to be full screen now. I don't even know why they bother to call it "windows" anymore. So yeah, if stardock can restore some of that, then they will make a pile of money.

Stardock are on Microsoft's UI fuckups like a fly on shit.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

20. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 05:36 Silicon Avatar

Is anyone else making a Galciv style game? That's all I really want. GalCiv 2 was a lot of fun with its ship customization (that was awesome) but it is getting long in the tooth.

Oh and if this guy supports Glen Beck I definitely need another place to get my 4x fix from.

19. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 04:55 InBlack

Oh look some MS fanbois. What a shock! Ahh the memmories of you guys screaming how Vista was the end-all-be-all operating system still brings a smile to my face when I think about it

It is a good time to be a software developer. Itís an even better time to be a software consumer.

Translation: So long PC gamers, and thanks for all that cash! Its time to move on to greener pastures, console and mobile development! Cya!

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 02:10 coldcut

17. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 02:02 JohnBirshire

I really wish that kid from A Christmas Story would take his picture out from underneath his name, nobody wants to see some nerdy looking ugly dork everytime they come to bluesnews.

16. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 21, 2012, 23:58 NegaDeath

Release Galciv 3 and I'll gladly pad your profit margin.  

15. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 21, 2012, 23:49 Dev

The "most successful year" is from the sale of impulse. The above quote essentially says that as well.  

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo