Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer

Ubisoft has released a new trailer from Far Cry 3 showing off gameplay centered on the Dr. Earnhardt character in the upcoming first-person shooter sequel. Here's their description: "Check out the action-packed shooter gameplay and immersive world of Far Cry 3 through the troubled eyes of Dr. Earnhardt, the island's resident 'pharmacist.' Use an arsenal of weapons, explosives and vehicles to fight against the island's ruthless and deranged inhabitants. Explore a stunning and treacherous environment, filled with diverse terrain, exotic creatures and mind-bending botanicals." See if you can convince the bouncer you're old enough to view this:

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 23, 2012, 02:32 Jerykk

Apparently I am the only one that is sick to fucking death of this one man army shit.

So basically, you want every game to be either a squad-based tactical shooter or a survival horror game?

Anyway, I just hope they learned from Far Cry 2. If they still have generic side-missions, retarded enemy respawn logic and stupid pressure mechanics (such as needing to take malaria pills), the game will fail just as hard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 19:55 Sepharo

Yeah games need to stop with this hero bullshit. I wanna be the nameless grunt in platoon 32 who dies on the first mission when a friendly grenade goes off, and that's it, roll credits.  

21. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 18:19 venomhed

"Does it have to be sick and demented to get across that the head bad guy is crazy?"

If you want to sell big in America this is a must. Throw in some ultra thin, perfectly built but anatomically impossible big titted, bubble butt woman that can miraculously beat the shit out of grown men 5x bigger than her and you have the game that has been selling for the past 15 years.

Rinse repeat.

Apparently I am the only one that is sick to fucking death of this one man army shit.

20. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 14:55 Shataan

For me, it`s about the visuals, freedom of movement, and the overall setting. Gonna be amazing immersion factor... much like FarCry 1.

19. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Rigs wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 09:19:
3. I'll probably get lambasted for saying this, but it's pretty fuckin' violent. Does it have to be sick and demented to get across that the head bad guy is crazy? Yeah, yeah, I know, Who cares? But damn, it's like every FPS has to up the last one on the violence meter. I can see it if it relates to the story itself, but watching bad guys murder innocent, tied-up civilians, or drowning them in a cave pond...c'mon...
Killing innocent civilians, often en masse, is pretty routine for your average tin-pot dictator anywhere in the world. Yeah, it's brutal, but it's also pretty realistic.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 09:27 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 09:19:
I was thinking the same thing about the shadows in the greenhouse. Glad I'm not the only one being nit-picky! I assume this is on the CryEngine3?

Bad assumption. Ubisoft and Crytek split, which is why Crysis is an EA game and Far Cry 2 wasn't Crytek and had nothing to do with Far Cry.

This uses the Far Cry 2 engine, which was based on the Far Cry engine but pretty heavily changed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 09:19 Rigs

I was thinking the same thing about the shadows in the greenhouse. Glad I'm not the only one being nit-picky! I assume this is on the CryEngine3? In the two years since Crysis2, you'd think they could've worked the engine a little? Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but it just doesn't go over to...great. Almost, you can see the potential, but it's just a little short, IMO. Plus, my nit-pick list...

1. First off, the good: Those cutscenes in the first trailer were fuckin' awesome! Very realistic, very amazing! I like that they're getting away from the 'plastic face' look, finally...not that has any bearing on the gameplay or the current trailer, I'm just sayin'...

B) Along with the '1 guy against 1000' theme, it's ok if it's done right. If I can be like John McClane then who the fuck cares, right? But two things about it bother me, the fact that every bad guy, except for the main guy, look the same! AND, when you stab someone, why isn't there any wounds on the body itself? Surely we have advanced to the point where we can have location-specific damage decals on the body that show as soon as the wound is made. I just can't get into it if I stab some punk and all I see is this knife-lookin' polygon go into another polygon, with a blood sprite for effect and then pull it out, with no resulting damage. WTF? Guns can cause bullet wounds, but the knives don't? Need to work on that...

3. I'll probably get lambasted for saying this, but it's pretty fuckin' violent. Does it have to be sick and demented to get across that the head bad guy is crazy? Yeah, yeah, I know, Who cares? But damn, it's like every FPS has to up the last one on the violence meter. I can see it if it relates to the story itself, but watching bad guys murder innocent, tied-up civilians, or drowning them in a cave pond...c'mon...

Four - We need higher res textures please! Make my hardcore gaming beast beg! Make it earn it's worth! I wanna see it on it's knees! To hell with the consoles! I want photo-realistic!

I'll probably come up with some more, but what I see, apart from what I've said here, is lookin' really good. I just hope they don't screw it up!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 18:07.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

16. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

I'm really looking forward to FC3 and it looks like it will be more narrative driven and focused. That said, I really don't think the graphics shown were particularly good and they look like they were taken from the console version. Surely it would make a lot more sense to run it with maximum AA/AF at 2560x1600 and then scale it down? I mean, look at the shadows and light spots on the table early on - incredibly low resolution. Same with the waterfall. And a lot of the textures look washed out.

Far Cry 2 was a great on PC - performance and visuals - and I really hope that Far Cry 3 continues in that direction. It would be nice to see DX11 make the cut.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

15. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 08:17 JayDeath

I'm boycotting Ubisoft but after watching that video, I might have to reconsider. It looks pretty great.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

14. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 05:47 wonkawonka

Well, I have absolutely no issue with 1 man taking on 3000 guys on an island. ESPECIALLY when there are no f*****g mutants! So that's a huge positive. It's not like we're talking realism here.
The fight scenes look great, shooting animations are very good, lots of diversity in that.
The only problems I see with the current state are:
- the skin looks horrible still. Everyone looks like a mutating gnome having lived all his life in a cave
- facial animations are really bad
- water is weird

If (and I do mean if) they keep their focus on people shooting, I'll pick it up.

13. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 04:53 Caslon

The dock at 39 seconds into the trailer looks terrible compared to the rest of the scenes, which look good. I thought I was looking at a Far Cry 1 dock again. Add 3 months onto the release date btw.  

12. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 02:56 venomhed

Interesting parts, utterly ruined by the typical "1 man, takes on 500,000 people on an island....."

Christ, aren't we past this shit yet?

11. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 02:53 jacobvandy

If he's pulling that slab of meat from a dead animal, could that mean survival elements? Or maybe a fancy fetch quest...  

10. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 01:29 Sepharo

I'm not ashamed to say that I actually really want that monkey DLC.

Game looks great. A ton of "take me right out of the action" scenes though, but what gameplay there is does appear to be fun.
Your call Ubi, gunna fuck it up with some of your favorite DRM?

9. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 01:29 eRe4s3r

Indeed, this is a great trailer idea Hopefully the game won't be a crappy console port. FOV.........  

8. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 01:17 Kastagir

Not worth the DRM that it's sure to come with.  

7. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 01:16 Wowbagger_TIP

siapnar wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 00:16:
That... was fucking AWESOME.

Amazed

Hell yeah that was awesome!!

Please don't fuck this up! Fingerscrossed

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 01:12 silentsammy

Wow. I like...  

5. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 22, 2012, 00:16 siapnar

That... was fucking AWESOME.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: Far Cry 3 Dr. Earnhardt Trailer Mar 21, 2012, 23:49 Leper

Same thing here. Dale Eanhardt Junior or something.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo