Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned

The BioWare Blog has a post from BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka confirming that criticism of the ending of Mass Effect 3 has had a massive effect on them, and they will indeed be changing the way the game ends, as they said they might. Here's a bit on their change in plans, and what lead to this point:

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. Youll hear more on this in April. Were working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback weve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and were planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, Im proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

View
152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:30 dheer

I just don't seem to understand the crying about having a new end and how it will wreck all art now and forever.

Are people so attached to the current ending? Was it some kind of amazing masterpiece? If it can be improved, why not do so?

Seems to me that this is a case of a developer actually listening to their fans and trying to make something for them to enjoy. Why is that a bad thing?

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:23 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
Great, cause listening to whiners on the Internet sets such a great precedent. Either you believe in the work you released or you don't. By capitulating to the whining idiots (I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen), you tell people that by screaming loud enough, they can just get whatever they want. Stand by what you made.

Listen I'm all for authorial intent but when you build the game around themes like friendship and player choice then discard that at the very end in the worst way....yeah that's a problem people should scream about. No, it doesn't mean they should go back and change it but they aren't explicitly saying that. They're going to basically tack more onto the ending in some way.

The real question is whether they have the gall to charge for it or not because that would ignite an even bigger shitstorm and split the community I would imagine. They have to walk a very fine line with possibly charging for it, you only get a chance to do that kind of thing once. DA2 is a great example, they did one DLC that didn't sell well enough to even facilitate further content for the game. This is on an even bigger scale as negative impressions could be carried forward to a whole new ME trilogy.

Peter Knowles (a writer on the ME team since the first game) posted an interesting thing on reddit that got deleted, presumably so he doesn't get in trouble about how the ending was only worked on by two people (Casey Hudson and Mac) and didn't include the rest of the writing team. So it leads credence to the theory that it was rushed and not their best efforts.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 15:31.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:14 Clancy

Great, cause listening to whiners on the Internet sets such a great precedent. Either you believe in the work you released or you don't. By capitulating to the whining idiots (I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen), you tell people that by screaming loud enough, they can just get whatever they want. Stand by what you made.
So if the ending is a steaming load of crap, that is fine ? They screwed up on it, and now they are doing a mea culpa, which is a good thing.

The real question is, how much will the "new" ending cost ?

9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:14 DarkCntry

The logical people that are dissatisfied with the ending have good reason...it's 3 endings stretched to 6 endings, and the bulk of those endings disregards the cadence of the rest of the story, the embedded 'core' of Shepard's beliefs, and adds quite a few plot inconsistencies the size of galaxies...and then reduces that down further to having the actual content of the endings boil down to a palette swap.

For myself, the ending is good...for a game that isn't Mass Effect. There's too many problems with how the ending actually felt disjointed with the rest of the dialogue and how they went all out and introduced a Deus Ex Machina in the form of a character that NEVER existed before those final moments.

I don't agree with the idiocy that the bulk of the idiotically named "Retake Mass Effect 3" movement follows...with their continual "hold the line" drivel and constant stream of entitled statements. Besides, it's basically the same partyline as the bulk of Blues posters in regards to EA and Bioware....no matter what is said or done, it'll never be enough.

8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:13 eunichron

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for some $20 DLC.  

7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:24 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
I... well... guh...

Drool

Creston

Bend over, Creston!

Be gentle?

Btw, maybe I'm crazy, but nothing that blog says that they are changing the endings. It says they will create some game content initiatives that will help answer questions and provide more clarity.

This could just mean that they'll do a DLC where a few NPCs are standing around talking about "what it meant..."

Creston

6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:22 RollinThundr

Planned April/May DLC all along. Fuckin A bioware you guys are such sell outs.  

5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:19 Verno

Oh wow, even the casual fans must have been seriously upset for this to happen. I read the whole thing but I don't see any official word in there about whether this is going to be free or paid. The "work on a number of game content initiatives" sounds vague enough to point to at least some DLC. "Free shepard ending, paid companion endings" is something I never thought possible until now.

I wasn't happy with the ending but I never thought they should go back and change it. I'm not sure you can put the genie back in the bottle but it appears people are so upset that they're going to try.

Oh and this highlight seems important. "Both Casey and Rays statements say that we will release additional content to address questions, not necessarily alter anything".

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 14:25.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:19 Creston

(I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen),

So why are you bitching about this? How about you SEE how bad it is first before you call everyone a bunch of whiners?

Creston

3. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:18 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
I... well... guh...

Drool

Creston

Bend over, Creston!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:18 Creston

I tried retracting this earlier, but the server died.

Nothing in that statement says that the endings are going to be changed. It's just more PR spin. they're hoping people will shut up so the furor can die down, then in april they'll give an Alliance News Network ticker scroll in the menu that says "Gates exploded but solar system still intact! Scientists baffled! Also, Space Kid might not have been telling the truth!"

And that'll be it. It's just bullshit PR spin. he calls his own work art at least 178 times, keeps referring to the critics that gave ME3 a perfect score (without mentioning how many of those 'critics' are bought and paid for with EA advertising dollars), and says absolutely nothing of consequence.

Ergo, Latin, this is just a rather pathetic effort to appear to promise something, without actually promising anything. EAware is still following the "how to deal with negative fallout" PR handbook step-by-step.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 15:30.

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:18 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo