Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming?

Namco Bandai is teasing an announcement for Dark Souls, unashamedly using this as a way of attracting more "likes" to the Dark Souls Facebook Page. Thanks GameInformer, where they speculate that this announcement will be the revelation of a PC edition of Dark Souls that a lot of gamers have said they want and may very well has already been revealed via a PC Powerplay tease (thanks Ehkzai). They say the more people who like the page, the sooner the announcement will come, and as of now the 142k people who have hit the little like button have helped reveal exactly nothing, so it's possible this will require the participation of every one of Facebook's six quadrillion users.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 25, 2012, 09:42 Styrbjorn

As a former "PC elitist" turned console gamer (except for SC2) I don't think this is a good idea.

This game was made for consoles, it's awesome on consoles. The controls work extremely well on consoles. I think it would be very hard to make a PC version that has the same feel to it.

Not to mention the thousands of posts on here complaining about "consolitis", I wonder how many a Dark Souls port would spawn?

Also, on the topic of difficulty. To clarify, yes the game is hard, but it's not hard as in "this is impossible I'm breaking the disc", it's hard as in "ok, that didn't work, let's figure out what does work".

A good analogy in my opinion is raiding in WoW (yeah yeah I did that). First you have to figure out a strategy, and (if the enemy is hard) you have to practice until you can execute it perfectly. Sadly few situations in Dark Souls require perfect execution, compared to Demon's Souls (in my opinion). You can actually take a couple of hits from most bosses. The few bosses that are hard though, are awesome. I'm not saying which to avoid spoilers

Oh, and, the game is awesome, play it if you haven't, get past the beginning and you'll be hooked. And DO NOT read any wikis or use google. At least not for the first run through. And play Demon's Souls too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 22, 2012, 09:51 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 01:10:
Dark Souls is an action RPG with an incredibly intuitive combat system and absolutely zero mercy gameplay. The game does not coddle you in any way, there are no real tutorials and you will get your shit pushed in many times. Developers should look to it for examples of how to properly implement a responsive combat system with feedback. It is a very old school experience compared to modern games. The game has a very gothic and bleak art style yet it manages to have a great deal of level variety. The level designers did a fantastic job overall, everything is stark and beautiful yet quite forboding. There are dozens of different enemy types you'll face and it has a unique MP implementation that allows for simultaneous co-op and PvP.

How does the difficulty compare to Gothic? More specifically, Gothic 2 Gold?

Assuming you don't use wikis or youtube it's at a similar level of difficulty. You can and will get one shot by random enemies, you will get unfairly ambushed all the time and face bosses that will take a lot of intuition to figure out. Oh and there is co-op/PvP in the base game which further complicates things. It is not an easy game.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

25. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 22, 2012, 01:10 Jerykk

Dark Souls is an action RPG with an incredibly intuitive combat system and absolutely zero mercy gameplay. The game does not coddle you in any way, there are no real tutorials and you will get your shit pushed in many times. Developers should look to it for examples of how to properly implement a responsive combat system with feedback. It is a very old school experience compared to modern games. The game has a very gothic and bleak art style yet it manages to have a great deal of level variety. The level designers did a fantastic job overall, everything is stark and beautiful yet quite forboding. There are dozens of different enemy types you'll face and it has a unique MP implementation that allows for simultaneous co-op and PvP.

How does the difficulty compare to Gothic? More specifically, Gothic 2 Gold?

24. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 16:27 mag

Alamar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:49:
I really need to play Demon Souls... It's still shrink wrapped, from when I bought my PS3 like 8 months ago...

-Alamar

I think the online mode is set to be turned off sometime this year, though it's gotten numerous extensions to make it this far already. You probably want to get on that, if you've any interest in the online component.

23. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 16:07 Cutter

Sweet. I'll be all over this as I only gave the 360 version a rent for a quick look and didn't get very far into it because it's insanely fucking hard and scary! This is a game that can make you soil yer britches and cry like a little girl too!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 16:06 nin

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 16:01:
As someone who can't get into console gaming at all, not because of elitism but because I need the multitasking ability of a PC, YES! Now if someone would get Rockstar to port Red Dead Redemption (and then spend two more years making it playable) I'd be content.

It would be funny as hell if someone started a kickstarter on R* behalf...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 16:01 WarpCrow

As someone who can't get into console gaming at all, not because of elitism but because I need the multitasking ability of a PC, YES! Now if someone would get Rockstar to port Red Dead Redemption (and then spend two more years making it playable) I'd be content.  

20. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 15:29 jacobvandy

FYI Blue, it's not the main Dark Souls page you're supposed to like, but their special announcement app thingie (currently at about 6k likes). You even linked to it, so I have no idea why the confusion...

19. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 14:04 mag

What everyone says is correct. It's not that it's difficult, but it punishes carelessness. And the first play through is always very much trial and error. "Ah. A dragon kills me when I walk there. I will go somewhere else."  

18. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 Alamar

I really need to play Demon Souls... It's still shrink wrapped, from when I bought my PS3 like 8 months ago...

-Alamar

17. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:46 Verno

Drezden wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:28:
I still have fond memories of Demon Souls. Like my very very first encounter with a Blue Eye Knight who absolutely destroyed me like 3 or 4 times in a row and the whole time all I could think was "This is a normal monster? Fuck my life"

The big skeletons in 4-1. I remember thinking "oh a skeleton, this shit will be easy". They both started rolling like jackrabbits towards me at light speed and proceeded to two shot me.

Also those worms that blew up in 2-2. The first time I heard the noise I said to my buddy "that doesn't sound good..." then wham, "You have died."

Demons Souls had a ton of memorable moments but yeah I definitely agree the bosses in Dark Souls are waaaay tougher.

16. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:28 Trevellian

I still have fond memories of Demon Souls. Like my very very first encounter with a Blue Eye Knight who absolutely destroyed me like 3 or 4 times in a row and the whole time all I could think was "This is a normal monster? Fuck my life"  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

15. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:25 PHJF

I think demon's souls had more normal enemies that could randomly fuck you up, but dark souls has tougher bosses. And the swamp in dark souls is unequivocally worse than the swamp in demons souls. Endlessly respawning, flying enemies?????  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 Verno

briktal wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:06:
One big thing about the difficulty in general is that it really punishes people who try to rush and cut corners. Even the "easy" enemies can really mess you up if are careless while fighting them.

Yeah exactly. It cannot be said enough how hard the game is for people who are impatient. If you're the type of person who rushes into things you will likely be destroying nearby hardware. If you decide to check it out always be patient and study your enemies, the game really rewards people who analyze situations thoroughly and know how to run from a fight when necessary.

Demons Souls might be a better starting point if you have a PS3, it has unlimited healing items and other more forgiving mechanics. Dark Souls is a real sonofabitch transition for people used to modern games

The game REALLY isn't that hard. The campfires and the removal of spirit form made the game considerably easier than Demon's Souls and even Demon's Souls wasn't that hard once you know what you're doing. After beating Demon's Souls one time I started a new character and beat it over the course of about 7 hours, dying only a couple times.

Shows the state of the industry when dying a few times counts as "jail rape."

That's so silly though, of course its easier after you know what you're doing. The difficulty comes in the form of figuring it out the first time which is far from easy. The bonfire functionality is more a convenience thing, there are few that let you skip difficult sections. Spirit form wasn't removed per se, its still there as "hallow" form, they just removed the arbitrary health hit in favor of it reducing item find and inability to summon phantoms. I have no doubt you died dozens of times and still read up on wikis and used youtube for some bosses

Sure I can speed run Dark Souls in like 4-5 hours now but the first time through was very difficult and the first NG+ isn't exactly a cakewalk either.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 11:54.

13. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:07 Trevellian

Yakubs wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:42:
Drezden wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:37:
It's not what it's about. It's the sheer difficulty. It's a no mercy style game. The game will literally try to jail rape you. It's fun.

The game REALLY isn't that hard. The campfires and the removal of spirit form made the game considerably easier than Demon's Souls and even Demon's Souls wasn't that hard once you know what you're doing. After beating Demon's Souls one time I started a new character and beat it over the course of about 7 hours, dying only a couple times.

Shows the state of the industry when dying a few times counts as "jail rape."

You're right, the state of the industry is so horrible that I ordered a copy of Demon Souls from China (Thank you PS3 for not being region specific) months before they ever announced it was coming to the US. I obviously had no interest in playing a difficult game, that is why I dropped 80 bucks to have it imported. I did the same with Bayonetta which was also a difficult game if played on the highest setting. (Granted, not nearly as difficult as Demon Souls)

My explanation of the game was intended to be humorous. I don't see how that wasn't clear. Probably should have figured that out by the reference to breaking shit like a childhood NES player part of my comment that you neglected to quote.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

12. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:06 briktal

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 11:00:
Damn. Thanks for the reply Verno. Will definitely be checking it out. I like action RPGs but apart from Diablo 1 & 2, none have impressed me beyond 'like'.

One big thing about the difficulty in general is that it really punishes people who try to rush and cut corners. Even the "easy" enemies can really mess you up if are careless while fighting them.

11. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 11:00 InBlack

Damn. Thanks for the reply Verno. Will definitely be checking it out. I like action RPGs but apart from Diablo 1 & 2, none have impressed me beyond 'like'.  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 10:48 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:27:
Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:06:
One of the best games ever made coming to the PC? Fuck yeah. Dark Souls is one of the most difficult yet rewarding games you'll ever play. The faint of heart and fond of easy difficulty need not apply.

Really? What is it about? (I tend to ignore most console releases so I really have no idea)

There is a story but its revealed slowly over time and it's not told in a traditional manner. The real reward is how you figure out and overcome all of the oppression and adversity you will face. It is not a game for the impatient. There is nothing else quite like it out there except for its predecessor Demons Souls.

Oh and it was an online petition that brought this to market. For everyone who says users can't make a difference and petitions never work.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 10:54.

9. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 10:46 mch

Absolutely love the snark in this post.

Hope it does come to PC. I lost a few PS3 controllers to Demon's Souls, and I still have yet to finish Dark Souls (stupid Sens Fortress), but both are amazing games.

PSN: CaseDesignate

8. Re: Dark Souls PC Announcement Coming? Mar 21, 2012, 10:43 ochentay4

I never ever play RPG and this game sucked 60 hours of my life. I dont want to play more on the 360 or PS3 casue of low quality graphics (the consoles are really getting old). This game on PC will rock hard. The game is really good, innovative, absolutely hard at everything.

I wonder who in earth got all the achievements/thropies for this game. I think its impossible

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo