Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 18:22 LittleMe

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:04:
Alamar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:00:
Your comment makes me think you didn't read more than the headline...

Read the end of my initial comment. I read it, I was just likening it to a few different situations. I understand why they're doing it, I just see it as futile. If their employees are using those devices for workflow and consumer interaction then their internal problems go beyond how its presented publicly. I get why they're doing it but they need to address the root problem - something Metro still doesn't do.

No, they don't need to address the root problem by improving their product. They can make it company policy to not use company funds to buy their competitor's product and that's a completely reasonable thing to do. Alamar was correct. Your first post clearly read as if you didn't understand the what the article was saying.

IT, & Operations Group may be putting a policy in place that will block employees from using internal funds to purchase Apple products.

The change makes sense to not allow internal Microsoft funds to be used on competitor products

It isn't about forbidding MS employees from buying or owning and using Apple products. It's about them using company money to buy them.

edit: Sent from my PC.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 18:27.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 14:04 zirik

wtf_man wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:01:
Well... I sort of meant that as a joke. Of course the industry steals from each other, constantly! Apple originally stole their shit from Xerox, though. Xerox execs were too stupid to know what do with the stuff that their PARC "think tank" came up with.

everyone says steal but didnt apple pay xerox to use their ideas? at least thats what the documentaries about steve jobs says. of course xerox likes the word steal better to save face because they didnt put their ideas to good use.

microsoft preventing their marketing from purchasing a mac seems toothless. they probably hire an outside marketing agency who dont have to ask microsoft for permission to buy apple products.

8. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 13:04 Verno

Alamar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:00:

Read the end of my initial comment. I read it, I was just likening it to a few different situations. I understand why they're doing it, I just see it as futile. If their employees are using those devices for workflow and consumer interaction then their internal problems go beyond how its presented publicly. I get why they're doing it but they need to address the root problem - something Metro still doesn't do.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

7. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 13:01 wtf_man

Kitkoan wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:42:
Apple has stolen a lot more from Microsoft then Microsoft had stolen from Apple. Thing is, Apples fans are VERY vocal when this happens but Microsoft fans are more quiet since this copy is normal from every business.

Well... I sort of meant that as a joke. Of course the industry steals from each other, constantly! Apple originally stole their shit from Xerox, though. Xerox execs were too stupid to know what do with the stuff that their PARC "think tank" came up with.

6. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 13:00 Alamar

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:20:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:23:
Link is broken... but this one works:

Microsoft Bans...

It makes sense though. Why would you want all of your employees buying a competitor's product with your company funds?

Obviously their R&D department that reverse engineers stuff should have an exception. I mean, how else would they steal shit from Apple, like they always have?

I don't know, my company lets us do whatever we want, we're constantly checking out competitor products both in official and casual use. Hell my buddy works at Ford and the only penalty for owning a non-Ford car is that you have to park further away from the building. If the auto unions can't enforce that shit I don't see Microsoft getting a real handle on it.

That said, it just makes sense for the most forward facing parts of the company not to advertise that stuff, I'm not bashing MS for this or something.

'for owning a non-Ford car'... How is an employee's properly in any way related to this article?

Perhaps you're thinking back to a similar headline many years ago where MS employees were using non-white headphones (to hide that they were using) with their iPods, when Zune (is that what it was called) was being pushed internally.

-Alamar

5. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 12:42 Kitkoan

Obviously their R&D department that reverse engineers stuff should have an exception. I mean, how else would they steal shit from Apple, like they always have?

Apple has stolen a lot more from Microsoft then Microsoft had stolen from Apple. Thing is, Apples fans are VERY vocal when this happens but Microsoft fans are more quiet since this copy is normal from every business.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 12:20 Verno

Microsoft Bans...

It makes sense though. Why would you want all of your employees buying a competitor's product with your company funds?

I don't know, my company lets us do whatever we want, we're constantly checking out competitor products both in official and casual use. Hell my buddy works at Ford and the only penalty for owning a non-Ford car is that you have to park further away from the building. If the auto unions can't enforce that shit I don't see Microsoft getting a real handle on it.

That said, it just makes sense for the most forward facing parts of the company not to advertise that stuff, I'm not bashing MS for this or something.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

3. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 10:36 Beamer

Ever get an email from a Microsoft employee that was "Sent from my iPhone?"

I have. It's hysterical, and the main impetus behind this. Douchey thing, anyway. "Sent from my mobile" makes sense, as you're more direct and may have more typos, but "sent from my THISBRANDOFDEVICE" or "Sent from my THISCARRIER mobile" or "sent from my THISCARRER THISBRANDOFDEVICE" is just stupid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 10:29 nin

Weird. That link worked 30 minutes ago (when Blue first posted it), but you're right, it's broke now.  
http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Microsoft Bans Internal Purchases of Mac and iPad. Mar 21, 2012, 10:23 wtf_man

Microsoft Bans...

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo