Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New U.S. Game Labeling Bill

GamePolitics reports on H.R. 4204, or Violence in Video Games Labeling Act, new legislation being proposed in the U.S. by Congressmen Joe Baca (D-Calif.) and Frank Wolf (R-Va.). This follows up on Blanca's plan for such a bill first mentioned over a year ago to label video games with the following warning: "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior." Baca failed at attempts to pass such bills in in 2003 and in 2009, and presumably thinks the third time will be the charm. Here's the text of bill:

To require certain warning labels to be placed on video games that are given certain ratings due to violent content.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, SECTION 1. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION REGULATION.

a) REGULATION.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Consumer Product Safety Commission shall promulgate regulations to require the warning label described in subsection (b) to be placed on the packaging of any video game that is rated ‘‘E’’ (Everyone), ‘‘Everyone 10+’’ (Everyone 10 and older), ‘‘T’’ (Teen), ‘‘M’’ (Mature), or ‘‘A’’ (Adult) by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

(b) WARNING LABEL CONTENT.—The warning label required under a regulation issued under subsection (a) shall be placed in a clear and conspicuous location on the packaging of the applicable video game and shall state: ‘‘WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior.’’.

(c) VIDEO GAME DEFINED.—As used in this Act, the term ‘‘video game’’ means any product, whether distributed electronically or through a tangible device, consisting of data, programs, routines, instructions, applications, symbolic languages, or similar electronic information (collectively referred to as ‘‘software’’) that controls the operation of a computer or telecommunication device and that enables a user to interact with a computer controlled virtual environment for entertainment purposes.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:14 Acleacius

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:43:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do. Obama has spent more in less than one term. 4.93 trillion, than Bush did in his entire 2 terms, do the math.
Lol, you sir are utterly freaking hilarious or you just like making delusional, scurrilous, ad hominem accusations. Either way, hilarious, I promise.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:12 Prez

Jesus lets not start this crap. Both the current AND last administration have been disastrously irresponsible fiscally but I'm at a loss for how any of that has anything to do with this topic. Stupidity like that in this bill knows no political affiliation.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:06 Xombie

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:43:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do. Obama has spent more in less than one term. 4.93 trillion, than Bush did in his entire 2 terms, do the math.

Maybe you should check your own math

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

34. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:58 Bhruic

He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do.

Before you attempt political spin, you might note that the bill is sponsored by one Democrat and one Republican. The idiocy, such as it is, is on both sides with this one.

33. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:43 RollinThundr

deqer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 22:49:
Do they not explain to this douche why his bill was rejected? Does he not understand the explanation? Why does he ignore, and tries again, and again? Now a third time.

It's been proven that video games are NOT linked to aggressive behavior, because people are aware of the difference between a game and real life.

Why this douche thinks that has changed now, and thinks he can get this billed passed now? ...

32. removed Mar 20, 2012, 23:40 markymark5005

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 4, 2012, 12:56.

31. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:28 Prez

Linked to aggressive behavior my pasty white, dimpled, fat ass. Cow flatulence can be linked to lower crime too if you skewer and spin the data enough. What a bunch of crap.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:23 WarpCrow

Rossafur wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:04:
There was a time that this would have really upset me (probably in the "I will effing KILL YOU for saying that violent video games make people violent!!!" variety). That time ended when I turned 18, and none of it would apply to me anymore. And now that I'm 28, I really *really* don't care, because the fewer annoying little brats in my online games, the better, imho... Haha

Sure it's nice to avoid the kiddies, but there are unintended consequences to these things. Already certain retail outlets refuse to carry games above a certain rating, and this causes some devs to self-censor in order to get a lower one. How might this get worse under stricter regulations? Consider Germany. Games rated 18+ are only available censored on Steam, not because the uncensored game is banned, but because the ratings system in Germany is more strict and in order to sell the game uncensored, Steam would have to verify customer age. They could do it (Origin even does it, which earns them brownie points with me), but they don't want to go through the trouble of putting the system in place. So get your games elsewhere. Fine, but how many more devs would feel muzzled if this sort of thing spreads to the States?

29. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:10 space captain

i'll allow it  
Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:04 Rossafur

There was a time that this would have really upset me (probably in the "I will effing KILL YOU for saying that violent video games make people violent!!!" variety). That time ended when I turned 18, and none of it would apply to me anymore. And now that I'm 28, I really *really* don't care, because the fewer annoying little brats in my online games, the better, imho... Haha  

27. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:04 space captain

deqer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 22:49:
Do they not explain to this douche why his bill was rejected? Does he not understand the explanation? Why does he ignore, and tries again, and again? Now a third time.

It's been proven that video games are NOT linked to aggressive behavior, because people are aware of the difference between a game and real life.

Why this douche thinks that has changed now, and thinks he can get this billed passed now? ...

you clearly have no clue how politics and the economy work together

hint: its like a really dirty, unwashed 69

Go forth, and kill!

26. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:53 Ruffiana

Narf2029 wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 21:11:
I'm still waiting for actual definitive evidence that proves this link. They said the same thing about rock music. Let's reform our legislative process and make the writer of a bill financially responsible for the court costs incurred in finding a bill to be unconstitutional or otherwise illegal. If violent video games make a person violent, why do they let me carry a gun at work?

There's not a doubt in my mind that rock music causes increased aggression for some people. Mosh pits wouldn't exist without that fact. There's also no doubt that most games cause increased agression. As do many movies, books, and pretty much every sport or competitive activity.

However, a temporary increase in agressive feelings or behavior from being involved in a competitive activity does not equate to an increased likliehood to commit violent acts.

How many riots have you heard of associated with video games compared to competitive sports? Do people take the streets and start flipping cars and breaking windows when the Starcraft II tournament ends? Ever heard of a kid die from a concussion or heatstroke from playing Halo?

25. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:49 deqer

24. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:45 necrosis

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 21:50:
I'd just like to point out that "Baca" in Japanese means "stupid." (I realize it's spelled differently)
"Baca"... jesus I had to look at that for like 2 min to figure out what the fuck you were saying.

It's "Baka".

23. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:39 Creston

Can we not sue to get these two cocksuckers deposed from Congress for continuously WASTING FUCKING MONEY THAT THE GOVERNMENT ALREADY DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE?!

Fucking ASSWIPES.

Creston

22. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:38 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 21:33:
Since the 1930's we've had ultra-violent cartoons in mainstream society. Have you or your (grand) parents ever had trouble distinguishing between fictional and real violence? Is there a history of you and your ancestors dropping anvils on people or trying to blow them up with explosives? If so video games may not be for you. If not, odds are you're going to be just fine.

True story: When I was 3 and my brother 1, I was watching Roadrunner cartoons. Wile E Coyote got smashed with an anvil, and stars circled his head. I picked up my Tonka dumptruck and smashed my brother on the head. "Where are the stars, mommy?" I asked. She got rid of the TV the next day.

Moral of the story: Don't let 3 year olds play COD, and then give them and M 16.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:32 commonperson

BTW this is exactly like the crap in the senate that created the Comics Code which stiffled creativity in Comics for decades. Right when Comics were becoming more and more mainstream and becoming something recoginzed for all ages (adults reading crime comics for example) then the hammer came down and it stiffled comic creativity for decades before Stan Lee and Marvel broke from the Code. We're at the same point with videogames, there's legitimacy to the medium starting to take hold and adults are playing them more and more and then the 'experts' are feeding crap about violence with NO real unbiased science behind it. I hate this kind of b.s.  

20. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:27 Overon

You know what else has been "linked"? Eating rice has been linked to having black hair.

You know what else has been "linked"? Being a mass murder to having a mustache.

Bills like this is a consequence of the general inability to evaluate evidence.

This bill (if it passes), is going to just waste another court's time declaring it unconstitutional as soon as the software game publishers challenge it in court.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2012, 22:33.

19. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:26 commonperson

Oh America, nothing like a lack of facts or any evidence to support an assumption to get in the way of legislation. Maybe this should come with Asprin for all the women they are refusing adequate birth control options to. *sigh*  

18. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:23 Wolfen

Pfft. Lets just label everything that's linked to everything so were all warned about everything being linked to everything. Especially on unfounded statistics.  

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo