Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New U.S. Game Labeling Bill

GamePolitics reports on H.R. 4204, or Violence in Video Games Labeling Act, new legislation being proposed in the U.S. by Congressmen Joe Baca (D-Calif.) and Frank Wolf (R-Va.). This follows up on Blanca's plan for such a bill first mentioned over a year ago to label video games with the following warning: "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior." Baca failed at attempts to pass such bills in in 2003 and in 2009, and presumably thinks the third time will be the charm. Here's the text of bill:

To require certain warning labels to be placed on video games that are given certain ratings due to violent content.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, SECTION 1. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION REGULATION.

a) REGULATION.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Consumer Product Safety Commission shall promulgate regulations to require the warning label described in subsection (b) to be placed on the packaging of any video game that is rated ‘‘E’’ (Everyone), ‘‘Everyone 10+’’ (Everyone 10 and older), ‘‘T’’ (Teen), ‘‘M’’ (Mature), or ‘‘A’’ (Adult) by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

(b) WARNING LABEL CONTENT.—The warning label required under a regulation issued under subsection (a) shall be placed in a clear and conspicuous location on the packaging of the applicable video game and shall state: ‘‘WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior.’’.

(c) VIDEO GAME DEFINED.—As used in this Act, the term ‘‘video game’’ means any product, whether distributed electronically or through a tangible device, consisting of data, programs, routines, instructions, applications, symbolic languages, or similar electronic information (collectively referred to as ‘‘software’’) that controls the operation of a computer or telecommunication device and that enables a user to interact with a computer controlled virtual environment for entertainment purposes.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 18:06 Shataan

""WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."

Exposure to alcohol has been lin ked to aggresive behavior. But say by golly, almost every U.S. corner store has alcohol sales these days. Cigarettes? Linked to Cancer, but ya find em everywhere. The lists doth go on and on.

As for Japan???? I remember watching the Tsunami, and how awesome the Japanese people reacted, how they helped each other.

And then I thought of New Orleans when they had their huge flood etc. It was the total opposite in the good ol U.S. of A.. An almost total breakdown of society for the most part. Looting, raping apparently. Gotta give those Japanese peeps a high fiver for sure. An awesome people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 16:29 Zarkonis

Just another blatant attempt at control over what you do, what you see, what you think. This, like every other bill that impedes on your Constitution-given rights, needs to be smacked down, and the people that sponsor and support it voted out of office.

Gary Johnson 2012.

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

55. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 14:08 raVen

Eh, it's going to get smacked down again just like all the rest.
That means the topic is null and void.

54. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 13:42 Overon

OFF TOPIC!  

53. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 11:51 raVen

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 06:17:
? DOn't think i would want to live in Japan.....don't really think their quality of life is better than most others....or hardly anyone for that matter...not defending original poster, just sayin....

First off, have you been to Japan? I doubt you have. My experience in Japan was amazing, don't knock it until you try it.

Secondly, I came here to post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baka_(fool)#Pragmatics

52. Translation Mar 21, 2012, 09:30 NoyzRulz

Way to go way off topic and make it all political.

Bottom line: This is a joke. when I was a kid I bought any cassette of a band I wanted and if it had a PMRC warning on it, I had to have that too.

Waste of everybodys time especially when you can just lie about your birthday and get it online.

51. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:58 RollinThundr

commonperson wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 08:43:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 08:30:
"By the time his fiscal year 2013 spending has fully gone into effect, Obama will have added a full $5.823 trillion to the debt," he said. "Obama cannot blame his predecessors. By his policies alone ... Obama will have increased the national debt by 46.9 percent by the end of calendar year 2012."

But hey It's Bush's fault, the same ol song and dance we've had for the Obmessiah's entire term.

The main source of problems driving up the debt is the refusal of Republicans to roll back the Bush era tax cuts. These are tax cuts that impact only the most rich and have driven the tax base to be so enemic it's the lowest it's been in years. This activity is what led to the rise of the Occupy movement. The middle class are sick of the rich getting a free ride off their backs. What I find most ironic is Republicans have made a Christ Head out of Regan. Regan RAISED taxes on the rich. These taxes are FAR lower than taxes on any regime prior including Regan and Bush Sr. Jr's decimation of the tax base, the refusal due to intransigence in the house to repair this damage and the continued cost of two wars one of which was entirely unnecisary and undermined the efforts to stabalize the region is continuing to be paid. So yeah, you know what? Obama is not perfect but you can't fix the dog's breakfast left behind by a corrupt olligarch and his puppet president henchman in three years. If it was so easy how would you do it? Why don't you run for president and 'fix things' honestly arm chair politicians are more annoying than arm chair quarterbacks.

Yes taxing the rich more when they pay the majority of taxes already is the answer, rather than cutting down on spending ourselves into oblivion that will STILL happen regardless if you tax the rich more or not, the massive spending is the issue regardless which party does it, that is the core of the problem. So lets see, so far in this thread we've had the classic Blame Bush, Blame the rich, the race card can't be far behind I'm sure.

50. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:43 commonperson

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 08:30:
"By the time his fiscal year 2013 spending has fully gone into effect, Obama will have added a full $5.823 trillion to the debt," he said. "Obama cannot blame his predecessors. By his policies alone ... Obama will have increased the national debt by 46.9 percent by the end of calendar year 2012."

But hey It's Bush's fault, the same ol song and dance we've had for the Obmessiah's entire term.

The main source of problems driving up the debt is the refusal of Republicans to roll back the Bush era tax cuts. These are tax cuts that impact only the most rich and have driven the tax base to be so enemic it's the lowest it's been in years. This activity is what led to the rise of the Occupy movement. The middle class are sick of the rich getting a free ride off their backs. What I find most ironic is Republicans have made a Christ Head out of Regan. Regan RAISED taxes on the rich. These taxes are FAR lower than taxes on any regime prior including Regan and Bush Sr. Jr's decimation of the tax base, the refusal due to intransigence in the house to repair this damage and the continued cost of two wars one of which was entirely unnecisary and undermined the efforts to stabalize the region is continuing to be paid. So yeah, you know what? Obama is not perfect but you can't fix the dog's breakfast left behind by a corrupt olligarch and his puppet president henchman in three years. If it was so easy how would you do it? Why don't you run for president and 'fix things' honestly arm chair politicians are more annoying than arm chair quarterbacks.

49. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:37 commonperson

Xombie wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 00:06:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:43:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do. Obama has spent more in less than one term. 4.93 trillion, than Bush did in his entire 2 terms, do the math.

Maybe you should check your own math

Don't let facts get in the way of a politicaly driven rant. That's very unrepublican of you. ;-)

48. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:30 RollinThundr

Xombie wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 00:06:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do. Obama has spent more in less than one term. 4.93 trillion, than Bush did in his entire 2 terms, do the math.

Maybe you should check your own math

Bush hasn't been president for 3 and half years. At some point Obama needs to stop blaming Bush for all of his mistakes. That's the problem with liberals, it's always someone elses fault.

President Obama once asked a campaign crowd in 2008 what to do when you're trying to get out of a hole. Uniformly, the crowd responded: stop digging.

Yet three years into his term, the president is digging a deficit hole that so far is deeper than the one he complained President George W. Bush had dug during his eight years in office.

From the time Bush took office in January 2001 to his departure on Jan. 20, 2009, the debt increased $4.9 trillion -- from $5.73 trillion to $10.63 trillion. The debt now stands at $15.57 trillion, up $4.94 trillion since Obama took office less than four years ago.

When Obama was campaigning, he called the debt increase under Bush "irresponsible" and "unpatriotic."

"The way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents -- number 43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back -- $30,000 for every man, woman and child," he told voters in North Dakota.

The federal budget Obama sent to Capitol Hill last month projected the debt to reach $16.3 trillion in 2012 and $25.9 trillion in 2022.

Reporters grilled White House press secretary Jay Carney on Tuesday during the daily briefing about the administration's criticism of GOP Rep. Paul Ryan's budget plan, wondering if that's fair while having a perceived credibility problem of his own.

"We put forward a very clear plan that achieves over $4 trillion in deficit reduction," Carney responded..

Bill Wilson, president of Americans for Limited Government, criticized the president for adding "more debt in a single term than any president in American history."

47. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 06:17 xXBatmanXx

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 05:37:
deqer wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 02:33:
Illumin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 00:40:
God I hate politicians. Do they even really care about America and its people anymore?
Nope. The world is too big to care. Every man for himself. The only people keeping this world "in check", are Christians. But once they're gone, the world will fall.

You're all just a name and number.

Yeah. It's true. That's why countries like Japan, which only has a small Christian population, are in total chaos right now.

Oh wait...

Seriously, you have got to be a troll. Try harder.

? DOn't think i would want to live in Japan.....don't really think their quality of life is better than most others....or hardly anyone for that matter...not defending original poster, just sayin....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

46. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 05:37 Silicon Avatar

God I hate politicians. Do they even really care about America and its people anymore?
Nope. The world is too big to care. Every man for himself. The only people keeping this world "in check", are Christians. But once they're gone, the world will fall.

Yeah. It's true. That's why countries like Japan, which only has a small Christian population, are in total chaos right now.

Oh wait...

Seriously, you have got to be a troll. Try harder.

45. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 04:39 ForgedReality

On the contrary. A vast portion of this world's problems are DUE to christians and other religious zealots. Once they die off, the world will be so much better without all the hatred, willful ignorance, and bigotry.

44. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 04:38 ForgedReality

Politicians care about politics. It's their job on the line. They haven't cared about America for the past fifty years.

Just a bunch of old guys who don't understand anything, pointing at all the young whippersnappers going "look at these unruly punk kids with their loose morals! Let's pass some laws to make them boring like us!"

43. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 02:33 deqer

42. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:43 Flatline

It's been proven time and again that the lack of sex promotes aggression as well. I believe all men need to have a sticker that says "Warning: Lack of regular nookie has been linked to aggressive behavior".

PS: According to the definition of "video game", 4chan will need a warning label.

41. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:40 Illumin

40. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:36 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 22:39:
Can we not sue to get these two cocksuckers deposed from Congress for continuously WASTING FUCKING MONEY THAT THE GOVERNMENT ALREADY DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE?!

Fucking ASSWIPES.

Creston

LET IT OUT BUD! LET IT OUT!

Whew...now lets go kill some virtual people.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

39. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:34 xXBatmanXx

FAIL.

Just find another lawmaker who plays games, and they will put a counter label on it.

Such a waste of time and energy for a bill.

38. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:21 WarpCrow

He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do.

1. "The idea is that the state doesn't have rights to limit individuals' wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire."

2. "They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”

The 'liberal democrat' who said these controlling statements is the second most likely Republican to be on the presidential ballot this election cycle. On the other hand, the one who's most likely to win instituted a system very similar to what you guys like to call 'Obamacare' in Massachusetts, and I know how the right feels about that.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo