Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 16:03 Prez

Notice I said surely they have enough money for proper QA, not that they actually spent any.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 13:27 nin

SURELY Apple has enough money for ample quality assurance research on their hot new product...

That's sarcasm, right? Apple tends to have issues with almost every hardware revision (antennagate, screen discolor, white plastic yellowing, etc). And at first they ignore it, then they play it off like it's within spec, and then when they get tired of everyone bitching at them, they finally admit it's a problem.

edit: As if on cue...

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2012, 13:37.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 12:34 Prez

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 09:52:
Prez wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 03:00:
116F doesn't sound like the end of the world to me. Sure, heat can cause dielectric breakdown among other circuit board electronic failures, but unless there's evidence of component deterioration, (unlikely at that temperature) heat in and of itself is not a problem.

Except when it causes the ipad to shut down. That's kinda a deal breaker.

Woopsie! Yeah, if it does that than yeah, that's a problem. My question is under what conditions the shutdowns are actually occurring. Someone using it while riding in a hot car or on a park bench in the hot sun for example (it has been unseasonably warm...). I find it crazy that an otherwise properly functioning unit would shut down under nominal use conditions - SURELY Apple has enough money for ample quality assurance research on their hot new product...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 Beamer

If you have an iPad 1 then Retina and a much faster processor is probably reason enough.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 09:52 nin

Prez wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 03:00:
116F doesn't sound like the end of the world to me. Sure, heat can cause dielectric breakdown among other circuit board electronic failures, but unless there's evidence of component deterioration, (unlikely at that temperature) heat in and of itself is not a problem.

Except when it causes the ipad to shut down. That's kinda a deal breaker.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 08:53 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 04:29:
Why the fuck would you buy the Ipad3 if you already OWN the Ipad1 & 2??? What the hell is wrong with you people?? Do you also light cigarettes with 100$ bills now and again?

I wouldn't, but for some... getting Retina and "4G" is a big enough bump.

Retina is a nice upgrade in itself. I had an older iPhone and I went to the iPhone 4 on Retina alone. Reading text, looking at pics, etc... it was a big difference. I skipped the iPhone 4S, and would only get a 5 if the feature list is decent (and I get a discount on my upgrade).

I don't see myself getting an iPad3 unless something happens to my 2 though... however it might be nice to read comics on Retina.

As for 4G... yeh I've used 3G a bunch on my iPad. Power outage, travel, etc. But not enough that I'd care about the bump in speeds.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 08:23 Fibrocyte

Dades and InBlack should get a room and have angry poor person sex.  

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 07:20 Dades

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 04:29:
Why the fuck would you buy the Ipad3 if you already OWN the Ipad1 & 2??? What the hell is wrong with you people?? Do you also light cigarettes with 100$ bills now and again?

These days they just put it on plastic and worry about it later. That's how America rolls.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 04:29 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 03:00 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 02:38 Cutter

So you guys all hate America and humanity, do you?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 02:07 Jivaro

With so many different manufacturers supplying the parts, which is a good strategy generally so as not to get too dependent on any on e supplier, it wouldn't surprise me if one or more suppliers provided parts that caused heat problems...which would explain the lack of consistency to the reports.

My Mom bought one...she basically has the thing plugged into her head she uses it so much...and she says hers doesn't get hot but it does take longer to charge then her iPad 2. By a couple of hours. My sister on the other hand took hers back today because she couldn't hold it in her lap after 20 minutes. The one she was given as an exchange runs fine and does not overheat.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 01:06 Digitalfiend

I picked up a new iPad (64gb/4g) to start doing dev work for the App Store. So far I haven't noticed any significant "warming" of the device during movie playback, charging, or casual gaming. I haven't tried Infinity Blade II or Air Supremacy yet, but those games don't really appeal to me (on a tablet that is.)

It seems some people are having trouble charging their new iPads too (taking 10-12hrs) and I suspect these people are also suffering from excessive heat issues.

The device will definitely get hotter with a quad core GPU but I haven't noticed anything yet and I'm not alone either. I think Tech Radar ran a benchmark too and noted the new iPad got up to 33.6c. That's not really "warm" for a passively cooled device...

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 00:40 SirKnight

When I was messing with the new ipad at Best Buy the other day I noticed that it seemed quite hot. I have never felt an iPad 1 or 2 to be like this at all and I have both.

Not going to get the new one though. The high res display is nice and all, but it's not enough to get me to buy one. I need more storage. 64GB is not even close to enough.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo