Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled

BioWare's Mark Darrah tweets word that a Dragon Age II expansion called Exalted March was cancelled as part of the just announced transition the developers of the RPG sequel are making to the "next phase" of the series (thanks GameSpot). Word is:

We did have plans for an expansion pack to DA2 but, other DA opportunities came up. There were even shirts! It was called Exalted March.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

8. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 10:48 Verno

briktal wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:41:
Really, for all the "awesome button" talk, the combat system itself wasn't that different in DA2. However, having enemies spawn in multiple waves from various spots in the room you were fighting in screwed up a lot of positioning and crowd control and other tactical stuff.

Sure but that's the problem, you didn't really have a chance to be tactical in DA2. There were a few boss fights and a handful of hand crafted encounters where the combat really shined but everywhere else was exactly like you said. The only real tactics involved were gaming the system, knowing that waves and respawns would be coming which became a silly meta-game worthy of the scorn heaped upon it.

The awesome button stuff gets trashed because there was this heavy dev focus on the visuals and timing in the combat system instead of the actual tactics. Maybe Johnny Halo is amused by back flipping Hawke across the screen to explode an enemy into gibs but that doesn't stay interesting for long and you need actual combat depth to pick up the slack when the visuals wane.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 10:44 eRe4s3r

Not to mention that Dragon Age 2 feels like one of those japanese on-rail RPG's where you trudge through a corridor landscape and kill all monsters just to find the random story tidbit or quest thingy. Then move on.

Only in Dragon Age 2 you have to repeat it 4 times for nearly each region.. which is an instant WTF were they thinking...

6. Re: Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled Mar 20, 2012, 10:42 wonkawonka

DA2 was adolescent fan fiction with configurable clothing.
The battles were worthless as their unpredictability made any tactical work useless.

"Oh please no, not another battle, let's get on with the story! Ah well, at least I might get some loot."

5. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 10:41 briktal

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:29:
StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:22:
I like how they've pretty much admitted DA2 was not a success but they still say bluntly they won't return to the style of DA:O. It's gonna turn into a trial and error series of vastly different games.

Of course. Multiplayer, day one DLC bonanza and so on are forthcoming. All of their supposed humility is always tempered with caveats about how they're still doing whatever they think is right despite what fans want. They're either incredibly dense or working within stringest guidelines from EA. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

They need to make an actual CRPG otherwise DA3 will be a failure and the end of the franchise. DA2 had very iffy sales numbers, I'm sure its on the razors edge with EA.

Though I still think DA2 was more tactical than most people give it credit for.

That's ok, you're still wrong Deal

Really, for all the "awesome button" talk, the combat system itself wasn't that different in DA2. However, having enemies spawn in multiple waves from various spots in the room you were fighting in screwed up a lot of positioning and crowd control and other tactical stuff.

4. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 10:40 InBlack

Im guessing the so called 'expansion' was probably a slightly bigger DLC pack in disguise. Im so 'meh' about all this Bioware boohoo.

The writing was on the wall when EA took them under their wing. I screamed bloody murder then, its pointless to scream bloody murder now.

Fuck em.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 10:29 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:22:
I like how they've pretty much admitted DA2 was not a success but they still say bluntly they won't return to the style of DA:O. It's gonna turn into a trial and error series of vastly different games.

Of course. Multiplayer, day one DLC bonanza and so on are forthcoming. All of their supposed humility is always tempered with caveats about how they're still doing whatever they think is right despite what fans want. They're either incredibly dense or working within stringest guidelines from EA. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

They need to make an actual CRPG otherwise DA3 will be a failure and the end of the franchise. DA2 had very iffy sales numbers, I'm sure its on the razors edge with EA.

That's ok, you're still wrong Deal

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled Mar 20, 2012, 10:23 nin

NOOOO! Not the DA2 expansion! Let me guess: It was a single room, and mobs just respanwed over and over! Whoo!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled Mar 20, 2012, 10:22 StingingVelvet

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo