Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic

An interview on Eurogamer.net talks with World of Warcraft producer John Lagrave about the state of the game. He discusses the subscriber numbers for the MMORPG, saying that they have lost some players to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, though they think there are others hibernating until the release of the next WoW expansion:

"We certainly do look at [where WOW players go], and we have a very smart bunch of guys who do our analytics for us," said senior World of Warcraft producer John Lagrave.

"Of course people are trying Star Wars - our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it actually, but yeah we've seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it's not surprising.

"Are they going elsewhere? Yes they are. We don't have a lock on all the best games in the world - Skyrim was an amazing game."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 21, 2012, 08:54 SXO

DedEye wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 20:06:
The game lost its magic for me.

Looking at what has been released for MoP to date hasn't changed that. I played ToR for a bit; more of the same.

I have tried EVE and GW; didn't turn my crank.

It was a good move canceling WoW 4 months ago as far as my gaming time goes. I've been playing a lot of other games: some new stuff, ones that I missed, of which many are on sale, and some oldies but goodies I haven't fired up in a while. Having a blast.

I can't imagine ever going back to raiding end game content of anything now that I think about it.....

Welcome back to the normal world of gaming, sir. I myself had been addicted to MMO's in the past (e.g. LOTRO, EQ2), and I ended up starving myself of numerous great experiences in other games, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 21, 2012, 03:03 Prez

WoW was the most successful game of all time...

I thought that was "The Sims".

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

44. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 21, 2012, 02:30 JohnBirshire

WoW was the most successful game of all time, and it might take decades to top it's revenue. Seeing as how Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, and several other decade plus old games are still alive, people will still be playing WoW 25 years from now. Every game that was supposed to kill it hasn't come close.

43. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 21, 2012, 00:36 Steele Johnson

Still, for a game that's this old, it's still doing better than any game. Most amazing money making game ever.  

42. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 22:34 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 12:33:
Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:33:
Eh, I thought he was pretty candid and doesn't really deserve the quote snipe but whatever.

Agreed.

Of course you do.

41. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 20:12 KezClone

I played a couple days of the free play SWTOR extended weekend and really enjoyed it. Got a Jedi horn-head-guy (like Darth Maul, forget the race) to level 11 going super good-two-shoes.

Then I thought I'd give a bounty hunter a spin for a few levels and really enjoyed that too.

It's a simplistic game but great storylines so far. I didn't enjoy it enough to spend $60 (and $15/mo) for it. I'm keeping an eye out for a good sale--I've seen $40, best so far. I'll pick it up for as cheap as I can and then use the free 30 days to see if I feel like continuing for a couple months.

40. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 20:06 DedEye

The game lost its magic for me.

Looking at what has been released for MoP to date hasn't changed that. I played ToR for a bit; more of the same.

I have tried EVE and GW; didn't turn my crank.

It was a good move canceling WoW 4 months ago as far as my gaming time goes. I've been playing a lot of other games: some new stuff, ones that I missed, of which many are on sale, and some oldies but goodies I haven't fired up in a while. Having a blast.

I can't imagine ever going back to raiding end game content of anything now that I think about it.....

39. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 18:21 Cutter

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:27:
Wraith wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:01:
No John, the reason you're losing subs is because your ridiculous MMO house of cards is founded upon operant conditioning, NOT the provision of value.

Even the most ardent player is, at some point, going to get real tired of being a rat in your fucking Skinner Box. You immoral piece of shit.

Blizzard and WoW are not the only people in the entire world to profit from exploiting human psychology. If you think WoW is being immoral with its old-school subscription/expansion model you should be a fly on the wall for the business strategy meetings for these free social games and free MMOs.

Um, we all do it. It's merely a question of degrees. So if you're going to whore yourself for money you may as well be a call-girl instead of a crackwhore.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

38. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 18:12 Beelzebud

What would be funny is if the Blizz reps just starting playing dumb.

"The Old Republic? Never heard of it. Sounds interesting."

37. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 17:21 deqer

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:27:
No John, the reason you're losing subs is because your ridiculous MMO house of cards is founded upon operant conditioning, NOT the provision of value.

Even the most ardent player is, at some point, going to get real tired of being a rat in your fucking Skinner Box. You immoral piece of shit.

Blizzard and WoW are not the only people in the entire world to profit from exploiting human psychology. If you think WoW is being immoral with its old-school subscription/expansion model you should be a fly on the wall for the business strategy meetings for these free social games and free MMOs.

blah blah, blah blah?

36. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 17:12 AnointedSword

How about age guys? Age has a lot more to do with loss of subs. People want something new...With that said, /waves  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

35. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 16:54 Angrius Maximis

There is really nothing more appealing out or coming out that has all the features WoW does. In fact SWTOR launched with LESS features and really sucks.

So back to WoW for me

34. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 15:27 Ruffiana

33. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 15:01 Wraith

32. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:48 FloorPie

Wetworks wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 12:21:
RailWizard wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 12:10:
.....or they are losing subs because of the fruitypants panda shit coming up. I really don't get how they go from Lichking, to Cataclysm to this romper room shit.

D3 better not suck.

They explained it, the reason was that they didn't want to have each expansion be darker than the previous. You can't have dark, dark, dark, really dark, etc... They're throwing in a lighter expansion to cleanse the pallet since the next two expansions will be very grim indeed.

This gives them a chance to introduce a new continent full of color and interesting dungeons and raids. I myself am looking forward to it, I could only stand a month of Cata before I quit. With the lessons they learned from Cata, Mists of Pandera should be a good expansion.

Eh, if I get a beta invite (didnt get one for Cata) and the early reports aren't sycophants fawning over it, I'll be optimistic then. Given Cata and what info they've released on MOP, I'm not optimistic.

Cata wasn't that dark (most don't pay that much attention to lore), it was just painfully hard or just frustratingly difficult when you realized you had to bang your head against a wall just to gear up for raids. Those first 2 months killed a lot of casual players. My guild has never really recovered to be stable for even 10man runs. People just floated in and out. Most of those who floated out, I've only seen again in SWTOR (and that one is failing badly, I don't even have a lvl 50).

31. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:45 Jdrez

Alamar wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:43:
but then, what do you expect when WoW was the first massive ever made? See where I'm going? : )

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what but WoW is far, far from the first Massive MORPG ever made.

30. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:43 Jdrez

Funny. I quit WoW long before TOR came out, and I just cancelled my TOR script today. Might go back at some point but for now it's just boring and grindy at lvl 41. I have a lot of Skyrim and Deus Ex to catch up on.  

29. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:43 Alamar

I guess I'm in the category of 'most likely done with WoW'... I have no hate on for the next expansion... Though I do find the Kung Fu Panda silly, but then, what do you expect when WoW was the first massive ever made? See where I'm going? : )

Anyhow... I have played since launch (or pre-launch for those measuring), but I haven't actively sub'd the whole time; Even from the first 'omg this is new, shiny awesomeness' year, I took breaks... So that never stopped, but this last one, has been about a year, so like I said... I guess I'm done...

And like someone said, if there's a dry spell (and I can't force myself to play the dozen+ unplayed (or replayed) steam sale games), I could see myself trying it out again after mists... Maybe after the scroll is upgraded, so I get mists for free : )

Also... Spellforce games are on for the cheap on steam today... I just picked up the whole thing, even though I have Shadow Wars in a box (moving in 2 weeks)... I really enjoyed Shadow Wars, though the game seems too big in some ways. Anyhow, I recommend it at $3.74 or whatever for Spellforce 2 (haven't played 1 yet, so can't recommend it yet : ).

-Alamar

28. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:35 Prez

As is always the case for me, even though I hate WoW (nothing personal; I hate all MMO's) I'm interested in seeing if the cultural phenomenon of something like WoW can be sustained into another iteration or if it was a one-shot "man, moment, machine"** kind of event. Of course WoW would lose more and more subscribers over time after reaching critical mass (which seems to have been ~12.4 million subs for WoW); the real test is when WoW2 is released.

** Based on the History Channel show, this is what I call a fortuitous joining of the right people making the right product at exactly the right time. It's success will spawn many copiers but none will ever entirely duplicate the success because the requisite conditions are not there. In music, The Beatles would be an example of this.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

27. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 14:20 Cutter

Wait till GW2 hits!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo