Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback

The Mass Effect Facebook Page has word that, contrary to previous indications, BioWare is actively looking at the negative backlash to the conclusion of Mass Effect 3 and the resolution of the Commander Shepard trilogy in the action/RPG series (which has apparently inspired FTC complaints). Here's word:

We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending.

We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

70. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:42 Creston

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 16:22:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 13:21:
To be fair, the game is REALLY, REALLY good. It's well deserving of a 90. I don't think the game deserves to be slagged because Mac Walters turned into a fucking moron for the last ten minutes. If I reviewed it, I'd give it a 90 and make a special note to people to not bother with the ending, so as not to spoil what went before.

Also, quite a lot of sites have written editorials about the ending being really stupid. So I think the game media in general is handling this pretty well.

Creston

Cres, it's like going out for dinner. It may have been a pretty good dinner overall but if the chocolate mousse you ordered for the end of the meal turns out to be a steaming hunk of shit it pretty much ruins the entire meal regardless.

So much for Derp Effect 3.

Nah, that steak would taste still great.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:41 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 17:37:

Cres, it's like going out for dinner. It may have been a pretty good dinner overall but if the chocolate mousse you ordered for the end of the meal turns out to be a steaming hunk of shit it pretty much ruins the entire meal regardless.

I got halfway through you post, and as soon as I saw "chocolate mousse" I knew exactly where you were going...

Kudos to you, good sir!

Also, we may need to stage an intervention for Creston by the time this is all over...

Why? I'm having a great time with ME3. The ending is horseshit, and I'm having fun debating it and calling Mac Walters a big worthless cunt, but other than that it doesn't bother me anymore. I found a much better CGI ending on Youtube, and my imagination is more than up to the task of figuring out a much better ending. One WITHOUT plotholes the size of the Milky Way. I'm moving on. Next up, Max Payne 3.

(Btw, the MP is the shizz, yo!)

Creston

68. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:39 Creston

Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 14:17:
The final verdict on thePC Gamer review of Mass Effect 3 reads as follows:

A culmination of all the choice, character and intrigue of Mass Effect. A satisfying end to a spectacular adventure.

Now I've heard repeatedly that one of the biggest letdowns of the game was the complete lack of consequences the players choices ended up having, and by nearly a 10 to 1 margin (based on a recent online survey about fans' displeasure with the ending), the end is anything but 'satisfying'. So, who is lying? (Hint: considering PC Gamer's absurdly ridiculous score for Dragon Age 2, I'm leaning towards them...)

PC Gamer was bought long, long ago, with EA being their #1 backer. Anyone putting any stock in their paid advertisements, I'm sorry, REVIEWS, deserves to get shafted.

Creston

67. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:37 nin

I got halfway through you post, and as soon as I saw "chocolate mousse" I knew exactly where you were going...

Kudos to you, good sir!

Also, we may need to stage an intervention for Creston by the time this is all over...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

66. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 17:10 Bhruic

They just don't want to upset the fans too much by saying STFU directly, so they will say it in a nice way, and string fans along with "considering" raking in the DLC money, until its time for bioware's next game.

That's not really it at all. Right now, they recognize two points:
1) A significant number of people are very unhappy with the ending
2) A significant number of people would be even more unhappy if we tried to make they pay more for a "better" ending

So for the moment, they realize that their only option is to put out another ending for free. Obviously they don't want to have to do that. So right now they are trying to figure out whether enough people are going to stop being upset at the ending so they can ignore it, or will the number of people upset by them charging for an ending DLC decrease to the point where it's economically feasible? Ideally from their perspective, I'm sure they'd rather have the former, as they already have the DLC planned out (regardless if the list I posted is accurate or not).

It's basically classic damage control - placate, distract, ignore.

65. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 16:51 briktal

Dev wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 16:39:
Pretty sure they had it right the first time when they said:

"we do not have plans to change the ending"

Sure they will consider it, and reject it. I don't know of any game that's had its ending change after a wide release. They just don't want to upset the fans too much by saying STFU directly, so they will say it in a nice way, and string fans along with "considering" raking in the DLC money, until its time for bioware's next game.

Fallout 3 and the 2008? Prince of Persia had DLC that changed the ending.

64. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 16:39 Dev

Pretty sure they had it right the first time when they said:

"we do not have plans to change the ending"

Sure they will consider it, and reject it. I don't know of any game that's had its ending change after a wide release. They just don't want to upset the fans too much by saying STFU directly, so they will say it in a nice way, and string fans along with "considering" raking in the DLC money, until its time for bioware's next game.

63. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 16:31 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 15:23:
Err I'm not sure about that playtime claim and considering DA sold more than ME and ME2 I'd say people were pretty invested there as well. Regardless I agree that they did a lot of world and character building centered around player choice then really discarded what had interested people in the first place.

Fair enough about the singular playtime, although I'd argue the average serious player played through ME1/ME2 more often than DA:O, thus making it arguable. This is based on frequenting Bioware's respective game forums, which may not be the ideal sample, although I did specify "geek." Also I stated ME1 + ME2 vs. DA:O for a reason - you were comparing DA2 and ME3 (so it's 1 vs. 2 games before the comparison game). Ergo, especially including the novels and comics, etc., the average fan was likely twice as invested before ME3 than as DA2.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2012, 16:37.

62. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 16:22 Cutter

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 13:21:
To be fair, the game is REALLY, REALLY good. It's well deserving of a 90. I don't think the game deserves to be slagged because Mac Walters turned into a fucking moron for the last ten minutes. If I reviewed it, I'd give it a 90 and make a special note to people to not bother with the ending, so as not to spoil what went before.

Also, quite a lot of sites have written editorials about the ending being really stupid. So I think the game media in general is handling this pretty well.

Creston

So much for Derp Effect 3.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

61. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:57 Bhruic

Troll or Truth?

Well, they did change the story because of the leak (Javik was originally going to be the catalyst, believe it or not). But I suspect the rest of it is wishful thinking.

We also have:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/876/ohboyherewego.jpg

60. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:46 Prez

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 15:35:
Troll or Truth?

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

The ending was half-assed because of the leak. They changed it at the last minute so they could have more time to prepare the real ending via DLC.

Itís called The Truth and itís being released in April or May. You WILL be able to continue the story if you picked any of the endings. Your decision during that sequence will have a big effect on your ending of The Truth. The Truth adds two new sets of enemies, new classes, and multiplayer maps including ďFirebase HiveĒ, which is a small area of the last remaining collector ship included in the DLC, which, by the way you should definitely bring Javik the Prothean along if you have him.

The picture here shows some of the leaked multiplayer classes and races. One race that isnít shown is the Prothean Adept and Vanguard. This DLC also enables the ability for owners of the preorder and From Ashes DLC to find their DLC weapons in reinforcement packs.

All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack.

And itís free.

Youíre welcome.

Best troll I've seen in a while.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:35 SimplyMonk

Troll or Truth?

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

The ending was half-assed because of the leak. They changed it at the last minute so they could have more time to prepare the real ending via DLC.

Itís called The Truth and itís being released in April or May. You WILL be able to continue the story if you picked any of the endings. Your decision during that sequence will have a big effect on your ending of The Truth. The Truth adds two new sets of enemies, new classes, and multiplayer maps including ďFirebase HiveĒ, which is a small area of the last remaining collector ship included in the DLC, which, by the way you should definitely bring Javik the Prothean along if you have him.

The picture here shows some of the leaked multiplayer classes and races. One race that isnít shown is the Prothean Adept and Vanguard. This DLC also enables the ability for owners of the preorder and From Ashes DLC to find their DLC weapons in reinforcement packs.

All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack.

And itís free.

Youíre welcome.

58. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:23 Verno

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 15:15:
The playtime in ME1/ME2 was double that of DA

Err I'm not sure about that playtime claim and considering DA sold more than ME and ME2 I'd say people were pretty invested there as well. Regardless I agree that they did a lot of world and character building centered around player choice then really discarded what had interested people in the first place.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

57. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:15 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 13:21:
People were pretty worked up over DA2 as well but that was tempered by the fact that most knew it was going to be shit well in advance. They had been doing months of shitty PR filled with the awesome button, dumbing down of various gameplay elements and etc. People were somewhat prepared for the shitstorm which goes a long way.

People were simply more invested. By people, I mean geeks. The romances in ME1/ME2 alone were enough to produce enough fan fiction to make Dragon Age look like a fantasy junk novel. The playtime in ME1/ME2 was double that of DA, not to mention the plethora of books, comics, etc., that the ME universe had before ME3. The storyline was also something interesting and unique, not "dragons." So while your points have merit, I think the larger issue is that Bioware went to great lengths to establish a loyal fan base, then completely ignored what they wanted.

The fact they didn't anticipate this reaction tells you that (what some others in this thread have voiced) they have lost touch.

56. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:08 ^mortis^

http://bit.ly/yNPTjL

clown. shoes.
so long, Bioware...thanks for the memories.

^m^

55. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 14:41 nwerner

Loved Mass Effect 1 -- played through it twice.

Tolerated Mass Effect 2 -- didn't finish it.

Skipped Mass Effect 3 -- glad I did.

http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

54. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 14:35 Verno

the end is anything but 'satisfying'. So, who is lying? (Hint: considering PC Gamer's absurdly ridiculous score for Dragon Age 2, I'm leaning towards them...)

Given that text, I doubt they actually finished the game in time for publication. Opinion is fine but specifically citing choice when its severely lacking is amusing.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

53. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 14:28 Steele Johnson

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 10:03:
Let me guess: You didn't like the ending of Lost either.

Hahah! Perfect!

52. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 14:21 ASeven

The final verdict on thePC Gamer review of Mass Effect 3 reads as follows:

A culmination of all the choice, character and intrigue of Mass Effect. A satisfying end to a spectacular adventure.

Now I've heard repeatedly that one of the biggest letdowns of the game was the complete lack of consequences the players choices ended up having, and by nearly a 10 to 1 margin (based on a recent online survey about fans' displeasure with the ending), the end is anything but 'satisfying'. So, who is lying? (Hint: considering PC Gamer's absurdly ridiculous score for Dragon Age 2, I'm leaning towards them...)

PC Gamer is quickly becoming the IGN of PC gaming, a worthless site that serves only to promote high marketed games and nothing else. I stopped going there after the 94 for DA2 and then the 89 for Witcher 2.

51. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 14:20 Trevellian

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 13:51:
*IF* they really make an ending DLC it HAS to be free IMHO. If it isn't it sets a very bad precedence for future games. ABSOLUTELY NO GAME like this should ever be shipped without the "real" ending. Shipping one out like this below subpar one is not something anyone should encourage by spending money for proper DLC game endings.

ME3 plays great for most of the game, but it had 2 MAJOR flaws. First and foremost was the Ending. No need to rehash it but it is truly so bad that it quite literally ruins the entire trilogy of games. Sure the indoctrination theory some people seem to cling to is plausible, but that theory is completely shattered simply because of the cinematic shown afterwards. The second the reapers leave the planet in the blue ending completely disproves the indoctrination scenario because if Shepard was indoctrinated, then the Reapers would NOT leave, they'd continue on and destroy everyone as planned. (hidden spoilers).

The second most jarring thing was the completely miniscule number of squad choices you had. Not only that, one of the MOST IMPORTANT characters that IMHO should have been essential to the ME3 story was PAID DLC. WTF? I know if you paid the ridiculous $80 for the "more useless stuff" edition, you got it free. I did not since I bought the normal edition and I won't buy the DLC on principle. This DLC was not like the Zaeed character of the ME2 where if you have him or not it didn't add or remove to the overall story arc of the ME games. This DLC is a Prothean, a MAJOR species in the ME universe. This isn't some no named Human, Krogan, Quarian, Turian, or any of the other species, this was the one that has fought the full force of the Reapers before and has a significant impact to the ME3 story. This to me was the secondary slap in the face to the fans because Bioware/EA knew that if they just made James (the only other Squad member who could have been DLC), no one would buy it cause he'd be just like Zaeed, not essential to any part of the story.

I also want to say just one other thing about the final battle. Why did they not do something more like the ME2 final mission? This ending was so lazily done in comparison to ME2. Remember the ME2 collector ship mission if you don't, don't replay it cause it'll make you dislike ME3's final battle even more. In ME2 you took everyone with you to get to the end. You had to choose your team and you had to make some hard choices as to who would go through the heating tube to help you gain access to the room. You had to pick an second team leader to lead the other squad and again when they had to hold a room while you went off and battled the final room. These choices, and your interaction with each character determined losses to the secondary team and to the team you take with you to the end. If you chose badly, you had less to work with towards the end. All that disappeared in ME3 which is really just sad.

The indoctrination theory would require that the Red Beam would be the true ending of the game and that the Blue and Green ones would be "What if" endings. The reason being that the Red Beam ending has Sheppard still taking a breath under a pile of rubble, which would be the buildings from Harbringers blast. Obviously meaning that whole sequence you play through to even make a choice never happens and is all in her mind. Spoilers Hidden.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo