Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback

The Mass Effect Facebook Page has word that, contrary to previous indications, BioWare is actively looking at the negative backlash to the conclusion of Mass Effect 3 and the resolution of the Commander Shepard trilogy in the action/RPG series (which has apparently inspired FTC complaints). Here's word:

We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending.

We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

30. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 12:33 Ruffiana

Lobster wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 09:45:
I feel bad for the person who wrote that ending. It might not be the best ending I've ever seen but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

I finished it last night. First time, I choose the Synthesis ending and I loved it. I was playing a Paragon male Shepard with Tali as a love interest and I thought it was a perfect end to his storyline. There are some pretty big plot-holes and inconsistencies, but overall it's good stuff.

Then I went back and tried the other two options and they were almost the exact same ending with some hue-shifting of effects. This is where they went fundamentally astray. They had the opportunity to cater to 3 completely different desires for an ending and just flubbed it. Destroying the Reapers should have been your expected ending. Reapers are blown up, galaxy triumphs; Shepard walks away from the explosion in slow-motion and then returns to the Normandy. Control would have been the perfect renegade ending, ending the war and catapulting humanity to the forefront of galactic superiority. Shepard lives on as an eternal emperor, wielding the ultimate power of the Reapers to maintain order.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 12:29 Jerykk

All of your little choices you made don't matter. Those choices mattering have been the hallmark of this 100+ hour trilogy.

This. The ending repeats the same mistake that DX made. Nothing you did before the ending matters. The ending to any RPG should be the culmination of the choices you made throughout the game (or in this case, throughout three games). I wanted to see the long-term impact that my choices had on my companions and the different races. Unfortunately, the ME3 endings didn't provide any of this. Instead, we got three slightly different endings that ignore pretty much everything you did up until that point. That's the issue that everyone has with them.

Okay, it was a little forced. I had Fawkes who could withstand any amount of radiation with me and she wouldn't go in there. But it still worked as an ending.

Eh, I thought FO3's ending was as lame as ME3's. New Vegas had a much better ending(s) than both games. You saw the fates of your companions and the various factions you were involved with. It was a very conclusive and satisfying ending.

There's also the fact that MP scoring can influence your SP ending which frankly is bullshit.

Multiplayer makes it easier to max out your military preparation score but it's still easy to max it out without playing multiplayer at all. However, that score ends up meaning relatively little in the end.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2012, 12:37.

28. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 12:18 Flatline

avianflu wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 12:12:
It does beg the question if the major reviewers actually _finished_ the game before writing their reviews of ME3.

Most of them don't. And those that do are probably afraid of being ostricised from "the industry" and thus are willing to err on the side of generosity.

And then you have folks like Penny Arcade, who seem to slurp down the strangest sh*t and think it's delicious. I've learned over the years that with few exceptions if Penny Arcade feverishly endorses something, I'm going to hate it (usually because they gain deep fulfilling satisfaction from grinding, which I hate with a passion). And they seem to dig, or at least be copacetic, with ME's ending.

27. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 12:14 Flatline

avianflu wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 11:25:
I suspect there always was a BioWare plan to "properly" end ME3 with DLC and it backfired on them big time.

Its not like there isnt a (dastardly) precedent to do this in a successful game. Fallout 3 had a lame ending and the DLC offered a better conclusion to the main character (he wakes up, etc)

Major major BioWare blunder.

Aside from not being able to continue playing at the end of Fallout 3 I was perfectly okay with the ending.

Okay, it was a little forced. I had Fawkes who could withstand any amount of radiation with me and she wouldn't go in there. But it still worked as an ending.

26. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 12:12 SimplyMonk

The last line from the FTC article fills me with joy:

"If gamers did this for every single game that failed to deliver on its hype, GameStop would be empty and Peter Molyneux would be clapped in irons. What a beautiful world."

25. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 12:12 avianflu

It does beg the question if the major reviewers actually _finished_ the game before writing their reviews of ME3.

24. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 11:47:
At this point, can it really get any worse for BioWare? Seems like every other week they are getting bad press...

Well, someone is trying to drag the FTC into this, if you can believe that.

http://kotaku.com/5894278

(Good luck with that BTW.)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:54 Verno

At this point, can it really get any worse for BioWare? Seems like every other week they are getting bad press...

They're very defensive and adversarial about feedback. They often dismiss any criticism as forum extremism while also making half hearted comments about listening to their "true fans", as if anyone who doesn't toe the party line isn't a real fan. They point to metacritic scores and favorable reviews as though they were explanations on why fans are wrong and don't understand their genius. They don't really handle these things well at all and should just refer them to the PR offices at EA at this point.

The trouble with many of these companies in general is that they view money as the be all, end all that they don't understand the thought process that goes into spending that money from a customer perspective. They don't understand why extensive day one DLC offends people, even if its reasonably justifiable from an industry point of view. They don't get why fans are upset with the ending because they don't even keep their own people straight in terms of what is being promised to the customers. It's kind of hard to say "this is the ending we intended all along" when people have Casey Hudson literally on record saying the opposite not even six months prior.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2012, 12:04.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

22. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:54 InBlack

If by press you mean the huge public/nerdrage/forum outcry then yes you are right. If on the other hand you mean the gaming press in general then its more like "Brilliant!" "Fantastic!" "Amazing!" and all those other cocksucking superlatives, combined with 9/10 scores and only a passing mention of a 'slightly dissapointing' ending with a huge fat recomendation to buy the game if you even remotely liked the first two.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:51 ASeven

Another day, another feet dug in Bioware's hole.  

20. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 11:47 Wallshadows

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

19. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 11:25 avianflu

I suspect there always was a BioWare plan to "properly" end ME3 with DLC and it backfired on them big time.

Its not like there isnt a (dastardly) precedent to do this in a successful game. Fallout 3 had a lame ending and the DLC offered a better conclusion to the main character (he wakes up, etc)

Major major BioWare blunder.

18. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:19 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 10:19:
Let me get something straight before I start talking shit. What exactly was the problem with the ending (I havent played the game)

The problem is, the person who wrote the ending thought that Matrix Revolutions was so fucking awesome that ME3 had to end the EXACT same way.

It sucks because it takes a big fat piss on all the themes up to that point, including within the game itself. It takes a steaming dump on choices made and sacrifices made, including in it's own game. It's lazy, rushed writing, where it amounts to walking up to the End-O-Matic 3000 and punching one of three colored buttons (and I'm not exaggerating here).

It's full of inconsistencies with existing canon, it resorts to Deus Ex Machina not once but twice within 10 minutes, it has plot holes where ships do things that are impossible within the universe, and overall it seems like Bioware didn't expect people to actually play to the end of ME3, which is stupid, because ME3 specifically appeals to the people who played through the previous two games.

In short, it reads like bad net fan fiction.

17. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:16 nin

Lokust wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 10:49:
The sad thing is that I would probably buy whatever DLC they put out to help add some closure to the experience I've invested so much time in, but it will absolutely be the last time I purchase a Bioware product. Maybe even an EA product. So I hope it was worth it to them.

Yeah! You'll show them!

Seriously people, stop buying this stupid ass shit.

16. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 11:13 InBlack

The sad thing is that I would probably buy whatever DLC they put out to help add some closure to the experience I've invested so much time in, but it will absolutely be the last time I purchase a Bioware product. Maybe even an EA product. So I hope it was worth it to them.

Yeah its fucking sad that people will fork over money to a company that sort of screwed them in the first place.

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 10:55 Verno

That will just encourage more of the same in the future. It's your money but I strongly suggest you avoid doing that.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

14. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 10:51 nin

Oh Creeessssstttooonnnn...BOHICA.

13. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 10:49 Lokust

12. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 10:43 HorrorScope

Isn't it sort of the case of "You can only have one first impression"? Meaning you already have your ending, how can you really change it now and have it seem right? Patrick Duffy makes an appearance and dreamnt it all?

The ending should have been, they stopped the synthetics killing the organics in whole. Then have a Jacob's Ladder type of ending where you zoom out to a larger picture and Shepard (ordinary joe) is on a operating table, the DR. says; "we tried everything but we couldn't stop the cancer from spreading". Meaning the organics were really a disease, but a disease never looks at itself at one, the synthetics were the cure. Or maybe not.

But any and all endings now are way too late to consider now. The game has shipped with it's ending.

11. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 meezookeewee

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 10:19:
Let me get something straight before I start talking shit. What exactly was the problem with the ending (I havent played the game)

Did it complete the story-arc of Shephard?

What I read online, without going into the spoilers, is that the ending basically ignored all your previous choices so far and ended it the same way regardless of how you played the game?

So the problem is not in 'a' particular ending, but rather the lack of multiple endings. Am I right about this or was it something more generic, like bad writing?

That's it AND bad writing. Mass Effect 3 ended with a whimper, not a bang. I wasn't expecting a happy ending per se, but I was expecting something that had an explanation about the aftermath of the war. Instead, they ended it with a cliffhanger.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo