Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game"

BBC News has the winners of the 2012 British Academy of Film and Television Arts' (BAFTA) Video Games Awards, where Portal 2 took top honors:

Best game: Portal 2
GAME award (voted by public): Battlefield 3
Design: Portal 2
Action: Batman: Arkham City
Story: Portal 2
Online Multiplayer: Battlefield 3
Mobile & Handheld: Peggle HD
Game Innovation: Little Big Planet 2
Family: Little Big Planet 2
Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
One To Watch: Tick Tock Toys
Online Browser: Monstermind
Artistic Achievement: Rayman's Origins
Sports/Fitness: Kinect Sports 2
Debut Game: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Original Music: LA Noire
Audio Achievement: Battlefield 3
Performer: Mark Hamill for Batman: Arkham City
Special award: Markus "Notch" Persson (Minecraft's creator)

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 19, 2012, 00:34 Mordecai Walfish

And the winner of the "Huge Tracts of Land" category is:

Skyrim!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 18, 2012, 08:02 DG

Skyrim might have missed out due to the way the eligibility works. Basically nominations come in by 3 November and any later releases skip the first round and have to be added by the jury.

I'd guess any games released for Christmas have a degree of disadvantage.

26. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 18, 2012, 07:55 theyarecomingforyou

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 05:33:
I thought Portal 2 was just more Portal honestly, and the middle sections started to grind a bit. I liked the game but not nearly as much as the media seems to.
I thought it was a lot more focused and a lot more entertaining. The original Portal felt a bit like a glorified tutorial, except for the end where it really came into its own. The only thing that I felt let Portal 2 down was that the humour was a bit more in your face, which I didn't think worked as well.

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 05:33:
My favorite game of last year was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with Witcher 2 and Skyrim right behind it.
I think it was a pretty incredible year for gaming and the games you listed are all great examples of that. And while Portal 2 was a very different experience I would say that it definitely stands up to those games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

25. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 18, 2012, 07:44 jdwohlever

I guess I'm the oddball. I for one never really like Portal or Portal 2. I like the puzzles and the 3D environments are okay, but game of the year? To me a game like Fallout 2 or Skyrim is GOTY material. I like Portal 2 for what it is, but the puzzles quickly bored me and the only part of the game that was any fun was the dialogue between the player and the robots.
Of course, I am 39 years old and have been playing games since I was 8 years old. So it's hard for me to see anything new. I am glad a game that requires thought is GOTY rather than another mindless FPS.
Is it weird that I don't like Portal/Portal 2?

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

24. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 18, 2012, 05:33 StingingVelvet

I thought Portal 2 was just more Portal honestly, and the middle sections started to grind a bit. I liked the game but not nearly as much as the media seems to.

My favorite game of last year was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with Witcher 2 and Skyrim right behind it.

23. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 18, 2012, 01:57 theyarecomingforyou

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 15:32:
Not saying I disagree or not, but seems like plenty of back patting to most of the major players. Give it Hollywood, they'll give awards to obscure flicks if they feel them worthy.
That simply isn't the case. Portal 2, Shogun 2, Notch, Peggle HD... not exactly corporate mega-houses.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 18, 2012, 01:46 Jerykk

Felt WAY shorter to me. I beat it in like 5 hours, and that was with exploring.

Are you suggesting that Portal 1 was 10 hours long? Because that's fairly absurd. The first 15 levels of Portal 1 were tutorials that required little to no thought. As such, Portal 1 took about 3 hours to complete. The puzzle difficulty in Portal 2 was more balanced (though still too easy) and the game had a lot more content, resulting in an average playthrough length of 6-7 hours, with 3-4 hours of co-op content.

21. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 21:05 Hoop

Skyrim shyrim .  

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 20:19 Crustacean Soup

I'm going to miss Mark Hamill's Joker  

19. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 20:03 cronik

It's criminal Skyrim is not listed at least once. Heads should roll!!  

18. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 19:38 HorrorScope

Teddy wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 16:59:
Not saying I disagree or not, but seems like plenty of back patting to most of the major players. Give it Hollywood, they'll give awards to obscure flicks if they feel them worthy.

You mean like giving Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet an award over big name titles like L.A.Noire and Rift?

And for whoever asked it, yes the sports category is absolutely absurd. Kinect Sports 2 was competing in the category with Dance Central 2, FIFA 2012, and Dirt 3 (yes, the racing game)

Said plenty, not exclusively.

17. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 18:41 netnerd85

what a complete load of...  

16. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 17:12 Bhruic

Yeah, what happened to the DLC they said would come early in 2012?

Oh, right, Valve time.

15. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 17:06 Beelzebud

I really wish they'd get on with releasing that Test Chamber builder they were talking about a few months ago.  

14. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 16:59 Teddy

You mean like giving Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet an award over big name titles like L.A.Noire and Rift?

And for whoever asked it, yes the sports category is absolutely absurd. Kinect Sports 2 was competing in the category with Dance Central 2, FIFA 2012, and Dirt 3 (yes, the racing game)

13. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 16:54 ForgedReality

PHJF wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 16:38:
It was half the length of Portal 1, but I guess the puzzles were a little more fun.

It was twice the length of Portal 1 without even factoring in coop.

Felt WAY shorter to me. I beat it in like 5 hours, and that was with exploring.

12. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 16:38 PHJF

It was half the length of Portal 1, but I guess the puzzles were a little more fun.

It was twice the length of Portal 1 without even factoring in coop.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game" Mar 17, 2012, 16:36 ForgedReality

What's the big deal with Portal 2? I thought it was "okay," but certainly not the best game. It was half the length of Portal 1, but I guess the puzzles were a little more fun. The slime things they introduced are a little cheesy though, I think.

I played it through once, then played maybe an hour of multiplayer. It certainly didn't impress me the way the first Portal did since it was such a novel concept.

And what the hell happened to the DLC they were gonna be doing for it?

10. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 15:43 Prez

I'm kind of stunned that there's a "sports/fitness" category. So does Madden 20xx compete against Wii Fit for this award?? Snuh  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 15:32 HorrorScope

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo