Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking

The STALKER Twitter Feed offers a vague status report on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, the first-person shooter sequel with the uncertain future. Word is: "There are legal reasons why we have not made an 'official' statement. But Stalker 2 development continues." Thanks VG247.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 18, 2012, 21:36 venomhed

"Visually it had amazing buildings, pyramids, and enemies etc. And you could pilot a small 1 man Mech type vehicle. As well, you had a robotic sidekick sort of thing call a S.C.O.U.T.. And you could see a small screen on the side of your HUD, that showed what the S.C.O.U.T. was seeing. The S.C.O.U.T. had a defensive capability too."

I played this too, you can still find it on Emule. What a weird game Stalker originally was, the robot was kind of a cool idea.

However, what came of the final product of Stalker was FAR better than the 2 Alphas I played.

Funny how a couple assholes on here bagged on Shataan, he was right.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 18, 2012, 08:31 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 20:50:
I can agree with the the better graphics, narrative and production values but the rest? Not so much. Metro 2033 definitely did not run better than STALKER. It ran okay in the subways but the framerate took a huge dive when you were out on the surface.
The original STALKER was a dog and the DX10 features in Clear Sky brought it to a grind. Call Of Pripyat offered good performance, partly because of DX11 optimisations and party because hardware had progressed. Even when it ran well the game was plagued by random hitches. Metro 2033 meanwhile ran very well, except when DOF was enabled (which crippled even the top systems). Perhaps I should have said it scaled better rather than performed better, as I had decent hardware but couldn't get Clear Sky to perform well (especially in the early sections) with any settings, whereas Metro 2033 was great with DX11 features disabled.

Jerykk wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 20:50:
The AI in Metro 2033 was pretty retarded. Enemies would just find a cover point and sit there all day. In STALKER, enemies were constantly maneuvering around you and they'd often flank you if you stayed in the same spot. I've never played any game where the AI was as unpredictable as in STALKER's. Then you had the unique animal/monster behavior, like the blind dogs who only attack in packs.
While Clear Sky had some pretty decent AI interactions at times - proper flanking, good teamwork - the series was plagued by glitches, like getting stuck in walls, clipping into each other, sliding your character out the way if they happened to walk towards you, etc. I didn't come across that with Metro 2033.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

19. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 20:50 Jerykk

It was alot like Darth Muals Spherical Bots. I waited a long time, and then they did the redesign, and we got an RPG.

Calling STALKER an RPG is a bit of a stretch. It's a pseuo-open-world shooter. There's no roleplaying aside from the fact that you can align yourself with different factions.

But Metro 2033 had better performance, better graphics, better production, better narrative and better combat - they limited their scope and did a very good job.

I can agree with the the better graphics, narrative and production values but the rest? Not so much. Metro 2033 definitely did not run better than STALKER. It ran okay in the subways but the framerate took a huge dive when you were out on the surface. As for combat, I thought STALKER's was a lot better because the AI was a lot more interesting. The AI in Metro 2033 was pretty retarded. Enemies would just find a cover point and sit there all day. In STALKER, enemies were constantly maneuvering around you and they'd often flank you if you stayed in the same spot. I've never played any game where the AI was as unpredictable as in STALKER's. Then you had the unique animal/monster behavior, like the blind dogs who only attack in packs.

I hope STALKER 2 retains the AI, ambience and open-ended gameplay of the first while improving the visuals and writing.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2012, 20:56.

18. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 19:29 Shataan

THE very earliest vids showed these things. What you guys are playing now is nothing like what originally was planned. You`d had to have been at the STALKER official site right at the very beginning to have seen these vids.

And yes I believe some of the dev team who made Venom, joined with GSC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVjHvjXrlw

"PC FPS game Venom a.k.a. Codename: Outbreak, developed by GSC Game World and published by Virgin Interactive in year 2001"

17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 16:21 Jago

Shataan wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 15:00:
The STALKER vids I saw of how it was Originally supposed to come to us, was more along the lines of a sci fi game called Venoms gameplay style. I think GSC made Venom if I remember rightly.
No, they didn't and I have no idea what you're talking about. That's not S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

16. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 15:26 Dmitri_M

lol wut  

15. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 15:00 Shataan

The STALKER vids I saw of how it was Originally supposed to come to us, was more along the lines of a sci fi game called Venoms gameplay style. I think GSC made Venom if I remember rightly.

Visually it had amazing buildings, pyramids, and enemies etc. And you could pilot a small 1 man Mech type vehicle. As well, you had a robotic sidekick sort of thing call a S.C.O.U.T.. And you could see a small screen on the side of your HUD, that showed what the S.C.O.U.T. was seeing. The S.C.O.U.T. had a defensive capability too.

It was alot like Darth Muals Spherical Bots. I waited a long time, and then they did the redesign, and we got an RPG.

Hopefully the Lost Alpha is not another.... RPG.

14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 13:17 venomhed

I actually didn't like Metro either due to how linear it was. I really liked the idea, but wow, it was pretty much one size fits all. To me it goes Stalker, Fallout, Metro, with the first two I just couldn't get enough of and Metro i got about 50% through and forgot about it.

The problem is that Metro exemplifies the console type games. Everyone must have a controlled, Apple like experience, do NOT step outside the boundaries, EVER!

Stalker exemplified the opposite. It is open, you can die at any time, no leveling, no super weapon, take any path you want, any time, everyone had a different experience.

While both games are welcome and we need more of all 3, Stalker would just be a huge blow if it falls apart and dissapears. People will use it more as an example of what NOT to do in gaming for profit rather than taking big risks like Stalker and Battlefield 3 have done recently. I just am so fuck tired of console baby games like CoD and shit.

13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 07:54 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 07:31:
Metro 2033 was a completely different game. Save-Points, QTEs and a very simplified Action-Gameplay. No exploring, heavily scripted, confined areas.
Absolutely it was different. But you can't really use "save-points" as an attack when STALKER used random insta-death as a gameplay mechanic, encouraging you to quick-save all the time. And the "confined areas" were at least well designed, rather than the bland open landscapes that defined STALKER - some of the best regarded sections of STALKER-SoC were the sewer levels, which were also enclosed and linear. The "simplified Action-Gameplay" meant you didn't have to deal with annoying things, like rearranging your inventory, navigating maps / emails / messages, eating food, manually applying bandages, etc. And the QTEs... yeah, they were shit.

I didn't say they were the same style; in fact I stated specifically that they were different. But Metro 2033 had better performance, better graphics, better production, better narrative and better combat - they limited their scope and did a very good job. I preferred it overall. And I brought it up because the developers from 4A Games worked on the original STALKER.

As I said, I really enjoyed the original STALKER. I thought Clear Sky was better because they made it more focused (though it had plenty of bugs and design flaws) and added more complex and compelling NPC behaviour. I thought Call Of Pripyat was graphically dated and derivative.

12. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 07:31 Kajetan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 07:03:
I wish them the best of luck but I'm much more interested in the off-shoot studio 4A Games, which was responsible for Metro 2033. Metro: Last Light is one of the games I'm most looking forward to this year. It's certainly not open world like STALKER but I really enjoyed 2033.
Metro 2033 was a completely different game. Save-Points, QTEs and a very simplified Action-Gameplay. No exploring, heavily scripted, confined areas.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 07:03 theyarecomingforyou

I'm not hugely optimistic about this, despite being a big fan of the STALKER series. At the bare minimum they need a) a lot more funding, b) a lot better quality control, and c) a completely new engine. I'd love to see them licence the Dunia engine (Far Cry 2), as it was incredibly well optimised and had very impressive visuals, as well as handling a large open world with no loading times.

The original game - STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl - was heavily delayed, graphically average, hugely demanding and buggy. The two "sequels" were largely just the same game with some new areas and a few impressive graphical additions. Don't get me wrong, I loved Clear Sky but by the time that Call Of Pripyat came out I was fed up with the engine and the gameplay was incredibly samey. After playing Far Cry 2 I just couldn't look at STALKER in the same way.

I wish them the best of luck but I'm much more interested in the off-shoot studio 4A Games, which was responsible for Metro 2033. Metro: Last Light is one of the games I'm most looking forward to this year. It's certainly not open world like STALKER but I really enjoyed 2033.

10. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 04:26 Jago

Shataan wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 02:08:
I still wish they would have released the STALKER they originally intended.

If you want the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as it was intended, Lost Alpha is due out later this year

9. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 02:08 Shataan

I still wish they would have released the STALKER they originally intended.  

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 02:01 venomhed

Agreed that them doing their own engine is far too time consuming even though it was very impressive what they achieved.

If this game dies then we are stuck with the "You are one man, saving the earth, against an army of Aliens/Undead etc"

Some of us are content with that.... Killer Kane?

7. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 17, 2012, 01:02 Aero

I don't know anything about it, but I'd rather hoped that Stalker 2 would be the game Stalker was originally supposed to be: one big open world, vehicles (having to scavenge parts to fix them and so on), consistent wildlife and creatures. It definitely *could* be done... just maybe not by them. Don't get me wrong, the first one and the sequels were good games (when they worked, anyways), they were just a severely watered down version of the original vision, and the original vision would make for a pretty cool game.

Honestly, I'd like to see them just pick up an off-the-shelf game engine and build on that rather than rolling their own again. That didn't work out so well, and even after three iterations was still a giant buggy mess. So far as I can tell, they didn't get a lot of return on that investment.

6. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 16, 2012, 23:21 Acleacius

There is probably no hope, it took them 7 years just to get the first game out and they cut half the content of the first game, just to get it out. Coop.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 16, 2012, 23:03 jacobvandy

venomhed wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 22:34:
Best and most original series in the past 10 years, tremendously underrated and all PC classic gaming.

I really hope these guys can pull it off. Why don't they get some Kick Start help?

If it's legal issues they're wrangling with, more money may not be what they need.

4. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 16, 2012, 22:44 Killer Kane

Please let it die  

3. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 16, 2012, 22:34 venomhed

Best and most original series in the past 10 years, tremendously underrated and all PC classic gaming.

I really hope these guys can pull it off. Why don't they get some Kick Start help?

2. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Still Stalking Mar 16, 2012, 22:01 Cutter

It'll be a shame if this doesn't get done. The Stalker games rock-er!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo