Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?

Citing an "industry source that wishes to remain anonymous," Tom's Guide reports a rumor that in May Bethesda Softworks will announce an MMOG based on The Elder Scrolls series of RPGs. The speculative story has few details, but word is the game will take place during the "Second Era" of the series, and will feature three playable factions. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:37 The Half Elf

Just make a Skyrim Multiplayer Expansion ala Red Dead Redemption?
It's not so much about making a MMO, the sandbox is already there, just let run servers so multiple people can play in it at the same time.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:36 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:04:
Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:52:
I love the Elder Scrolls series, but for an MMO it seems to be about as generic a fantasy world as you can get...

Creston

Actually, Arena (The first TES Game) featured all the provinces of Tamriel, and it's fairly diverse. I would imagine that an MMO would feature all the provinces as well.

In Arena, the provinces were an empty flat stretch of land with an occasional village on it. That's not going to cut it anymore in an MMO. People now want eye candy.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda would build every province of Tamriel for an MMO if they have to give it the same level of detail as Oblivion/Skyrim. It'd take them 20 years.

Creston

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:36 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:22:
I thought I just read that they weren't really all that interested in doing MMOs. I think this rumor is bogus. I hope it is too.

You are confusing the in-house Bethesda developers, with the parent company, Zenimax.

Bethesda Game Studios has no interest in creating an MMO, nor a multi-player version of TES, for that matter. They only make Single Player games.

However, obviously Zenimax sees the property as making a good MMO.

Regardless of this announcement rumor... Zenimax IS working on an MMO... there's no doubt about that. Whether it's a TES MMO or not... we'll just have to see. But there's a high probability that it is.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:32 yuastnav

... no  

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:31 PHJF

How exactly is this supposed to work? Are they going to try and make an Elder Scrolls game into an MMO or an MMO into an Elder Scrolls?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:22 Silicon Avatar

I thought I just read that they weren't really all that interested in doing MMOs. I think this rumor is bogus. I hope it is too.

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:04 briktal

Techie714 wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:53:
I have a feeling this is something WAY different than what every one thinks it is. Could be a Facebook game or something on a smaller scale. I would be surprised to see a full blown AAA MMO announced from Bethesda just after the launch of Skyrim.

I think they have/are recruiting too many people and have been working too long on it for it to just be a Facebook game.

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:04 wtf_man

I love the Elder Scrolls series, but for an MMO it seems to be about as generic a fantasy world as you can get...

Creston

Actually, Arena (The first TES Game) featured all the provinces of Tamriel, and it's fairly diverse. I would imagine that an MMO would feature all the provinces as well.

I have a feeling this is something WAY different than what every one thinks it is. Could be a Facebook game or something on a smaller scale. I would be surprised to see a full blown AAA MMO announced from Bethesda just after the launch of Skyrim.

Uhm, no. They bought the Hero Engine (Same as SW:TOR) back in 2006 or 2007... so they have been working on it for quite a while, already. Matt Frior from Mythic, heads the Zenimax Online Studios. So... a totally different Studio has been working on this, for years, already... and probably has at least a couple of more years to go. Tamrieal is a big world, if you go by the size of single provinces such as Skyrim, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil.

http://images.uesp.net/b/b1/Arena-Map.jpg

12. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Mar 16, 2012, 11:02 CommunistHamster

yonder wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:47:
I want a wide-open world where my actions actually matter to other players that I don't meet.
Hahaha, no chance. Not even the single-player games have that without an edifice of scripting.

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:01 Verno

I don't think you could really preserve what makes Bethesda games unique and interesting in an MMO atmosphere. It would by nature need to be severely locked down and breaking the game is half of the fun once you're finished doing the themed quests and exploration.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:59 Hyatus

I would be surprised to see a full blown AAA MMO announced from Bethesda just after the launch of Skyrim.

It's the perfect time. It'll be 6 months past the release of Skyrim, so everyone will still have the game somewhat fresh on their minds when they announce it.

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:53 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:52 Creston

Creston

7. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Mar 16, 2012, 10:47 yonder

Here's the setup to the plot of TESO:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/2920

I just hope it's not a WoW clone. I want a wide-open world where my actions actually matter to other players that I don't meet. Yes, I know I'm wishing beyond hope, but I will continue to hope.

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:44 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:39:
Another MMO, just what we need

Well... since they are only going to possibly "announce it" in May... I'd have to guess that it's still a long ways off.

I hope they take more notes from Guild Wars 2 then WoW... because that's the business model to follow... and probably the gameplay model as well.

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:39 Beamer

Another MMO, just what we need  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:31 bhcompy

Another fantasy MMO, just what we need  

3. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:24 wtf_man

Heh... I kept saying back when Bethesda and Interplay were having their litigation that the MMO they were working on was NOT Fallout, but most likely a TES MMO.

Looks like it that will be confirmed soon.

2. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:15 nin

Considering skyrim felt like a single player WOW (in a good way), I'm not overly surprised. But they're going to need a shitload of content...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 Acleacius

Interesting, wonder who their mmog leads are and how experienced.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo