Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?

Citing an "industry source that wishes to remain anonymous," Tom's Guide reports a rumor that in May Bethesda Softworks will announce an MMOG based on The Elder Scrolls series of RPGs. The speculative story has few details, but word is the game will take place during the "Second Era" of the series, and will feature three playable factions. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 14:42 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:36:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:04:
Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:52:
I love the Elder Scrolls series, but for an MMO it seems to be about as generic a fantasy world as you can get...

Creston

Actually, Arena (The first TES Game) featured all the provinces of Tamriel, and it's fairly diverse. I would imagine that an MMO would feature all the provinces as well.

In Arena, the provinces were an empty flat stretch of land with an occasional village on it. That's not going to cut it anymore in an MMO. People now want eye candy.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda would build every province of Tamriel for an MMO if they have to give it the same level of detail as Oblivion/Skyrim. It'd take them 20 years.

Creston

It'd also ruin any surprise in future single player games, as you'd already explored the region. Part of the fun is learning a new area.

I wouldn't be overly surprised, or disappointed, in a casual facebooky MMO. Different teams, different goals, and zero chance of damaging future "real" TES games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 14:26 HorrorScope

bhcompy wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:31:
Another fantasy MMO, just what we need

Lord knows we need a good one.

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:41 SectorEffector

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:37:
Just make a Skyrim Multiplayer Expansion ala Red Dead Redemption?
It's not so much about making a MMO, the sandbox is already there, just let run servers so multiple people can play in it at the same time.

Red Dead's multiplayer was fucking amazing, keeps the PS3 with GIMX emulation from collecting dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:38 Panickd

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:05:
MMO games will be good when they bring in the mechanics from single player games

like planetside, and so forth... MMOFPS is cool, im down with that

the MMORPG thing needs to be reworked at the ground floor level.. its total garbage right now.. but it could be really cool if its done properly (unlike any game yet)

Planetside was awesome just a little too ambitious for it's time. Lag was such a killer in that game. Many was the time I would be driving some of my mates into a battle only to have the game lag out for second as we approached and discover that I had inadvertently plowed through the front lines killing several of my teammates (and too few enemies). Good times!

I am not sure I would trust in Bethsoft to pull of a good MMO though. I mean they haven't so much as had MP in any of the Elder Scrolls games yet and now they're talking about tackling MP on a massive scale? Color me dubious.

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:37 Verno

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:05:
MMO games will be good when they bring in the mechanics from single player games

the MMORPG thing needs to be reworked at the ground floor level.. its total garbage right now.. but it could be really cool if its done properly (unlike any game yet)

What do you think of the pre-release Guild Wars 2 material so far in terms of MMORPG mechanics? I'm curious to see how its perception is faring with people burned out on MMOs.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:05 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:05 wtf_man

BETHESDA IS NOT MAKING THIS MMO.
GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK FUCKIN' SKULLS!

Bethesda's Parent Company, and a totally DIFFERENT studio, are the ones that are making it.

The headline should read: "Zenimax Online Studios will announce...", not "Bethesda Softworks will announce".

Hell, the single player Studio isn't even Bethesda Softworks anymore... it's Bethesda Game Studios.

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:04 Bhruic

I was able to take my spies and blow more of his stuff up, but over Skype was saying "Man I can't seem to kill that bastard". Since it is turned based he eventually figured it out, but it was cool nonetheless.

Ha, I did something similar in a game of Civ IV. We were co-operating, but not actually allied. So I kept bribing AI civs to go to war with him. And I kept saying "I don't understand why the AI doesn't like you so much. They are getting along fine with me."

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 13:02 venomhed

Also this MMO could benefit greatly from the game Mount & Blade. Ditch the idea of "levels" where people become too powerful.

Imagine and MMO without levels, but maybe with skills? This would force people to stick and work together because someone that plays the game 1 year would be really good, but he could get ganked by 3-4 players that have just started the game the past week.

Don't think this is possible? Ultima Online was this way for about 6-9 months. At first it was chaos. You left a town, people would hide in the tree's and kick your ass in. Eventually mobs of real people would go out and murder the real bandits and hunt them down. It was incredibly tense and fun, people would help you, heal you etc. etc. The other aspect is that you ACTUALLY LOST THE ITEMS YOU HAD ON YOU! None of this zero death penalty. So when you got snuffed you could lose that sweet armor, weapon, gold, your horse. Made you think twice.

MMO's today are a friggin treadmill of grinding with no penalty for jack all. BORING

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:56 venomhed

"i would like to see another game where the factions can speak. i hate pvp that you cant talk to the enemy or they look faceless. pvp needs that spying/backstabbing/taunting aspect that made shadowbane so great. and PVP in faceless games liek daoc look pitiful. "

Agreed big time! The only game in recent memory that has done this to some degree has been Creative Assembly's Shogun 2! The multiplayer is stellar, the game could use some improvements for sure. But I played a buddy and over Skype he noticed a lot of his provinces were getting sabotaged. We both noticed an enemy Ninja/Spy that apparently was cruising around. I was able to take my spies and blow more of his stuff up, but over Skype was saying "Man I can't seem to kill that bastard". Since it is turned based he eventually figured it out, but it was cool nonetheless.

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:54 jomisab

And here I thought I swore off MMORPG's...damn you Bethesda!  

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 venomhed

And thus begins the end of one of the greatest single player D&D like RPG's ever made.

Way to sell out Bethsoft. I can see them trying a Fallout MMO because post apocalyptic MMO's are rare and Fallout is still relatively new/reborn it could work. But the last thing we need is another D&D like game, watered down, with "kill X hobgoblins for a gold necklace of +5 dick inches"

Lame..... well, not the necklace part.

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:41 Trevellian

Free to play after 5 months, I guarantee it.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:27 Verno

m00t wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:01:
Story is basically accurate.

Thanks for setting the record straight Jester

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 12:01 m00t

Story is basically accurate.

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:53 wtf_man

In Arena, the provinces were an empty flat stretch of land with an occasional village on it. That's not going to cut it anymore in an MMO. People now want eye candy.

Well, I was talking about the lore, the races, and the associated architecture. I think it's far from "generic", especially when you look at the Medieval-Alien style of Morrowind.

The graphics, of course, would have to be more modern.

Somehow I doubt Bethesda would build every province of Tamriel for an MMO if they have to give it the same level of detail as Oblivion/Skyrim. It'd take them 20 years.

Creston

Well... we won't know until it comes out. Totally different Studio... Totally different Engine. I would imagine that they would re-use some of the assets from the last 3 TES games (From the source 3D Studio Max formats) to provide some familiarity.... but then there are still 6 more Provinces to cover.... and both Morrowind and Oblivion didn't cover the complete provinces. Skyrim is about as close as we have gotten to a "Complete Province".

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 12:00.

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:50 verrul

i would like to see another game where the factions can speak. i hate pvp that you cant talk to the enemy or they look faceless. pvp needs that spying/backstabbing/taunting aspect that made shadowbane so great. and PVP in faceless games liek daoc look pitiful.  

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:44 CommunistHamster

helluvalot simpler than an mmo though  

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:40 yuastnav

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:37:
Just make a Skyrim Multiplayer Expansion ala Red Dead Redemption?
It's not so much about making a MMO, the sandbox is already there, just let run servers so multiple people can play in it at the same time.

If you disregard that something like that is nowhere near as simple as that.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 11:38 Ratty

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:36:
You are confusing the in-house Bethesda developers, with the parent company, Zenimax.

Bethesda Game Studios has no interest in creating an MMO, nor a multi-player version of TES, for that matter. They only make Single Player games.
I hope that's true. I just don't want to see any Bethesda staff or resources devoted to anything else than the upcoming DLC and the next SP Elder Scrolls.

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo