Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near

inXile Entertainment announces their recently launched Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Campaign reached its $900,000 goal within 48 hours, and the fund to support development of the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel currently stands at over $1.1 million, and word is they are nearing the point where they can commit to Linux and OS X support:

In a message posted to all of the backers of the project, inXile said, "This is a paradigm shift that is bigger than Wasteland 2. This is the beginning of a new era in gaming where the developer gets to work directly with the fans to build the type of product that the fans want. The games are fan funded with fan input and use digital distribution methods to bypass both publishers and retail.

The latest status of the now funded project has the number of backers at over 20,000 and the funds pledge at over 1.1 Million Dollars. With over 30 days left until the funding ends, Fargo has hopes of being able to soon announce more features that will be added to the project, saying, "The fact that our supporters are buying in at an average of over $55 each says a lot about the level of dedication the fans have towards this product. No matter how much money is raised, all of it will go into making the best game we possibly can." On the strength of this early success and in response to popular request, he has already added a Linux version to go along with the Mac version at the rapidly approaching $1.5 million milestone.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

44. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:39 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 14:29:
Which if the below is true and it's for US residents only...then I'm automatically excluded anyways.
Which is NOT true, he was talking about project creators. Are you going to be the next $3 million adventure project creator?

Its 100% not true for project backers (many many projects have notes for international shipping, and if you watched the latest Double Fine videos, they specifically mention how to internationally back a project). Incidentally I've mentioned this in just about every kickstarter thread where international questions come up.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 14:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:31 eRe4s3r

Nexus 2 was on former gamesplant now pixonauts https://www.pixonauts.com/en/

So yeah, unless you call reading privileged information.... ;p

Kickstarter is simply ignoring the fact that paypal long since supports this payment method they claim it does not. Maybe it didn't 3 years ago (possible) but it does now. And to rub it in more, i am even gonna quote it straight from the pixonauts FAQ

Once the amount required by the developer has been reached, all of the supporters’ PayPal accounts will be charged the relevant amounts that were pledged and this money will be sent to the developer (minus PayPal charges).

Ergo.. Kickstarter FAQ is bullshit.

And I am not currently saying they are lieing intentionally, but fact is that their FAQ claim is WRONG, paypal supports this payment method, there is nothing more to be said about this. Because it is a FACT. Not one I make up, but one you can read on dozens of crowd sourcing sites, all, except Kickstarter

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 14:37.

42. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:29 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 14:04:
If you really want to boycott them for life over one incident then fair enough

It's not a boycott so much as it's more that they have given me zero reason in 8 years to order anything from them, that I couldn't get somewhere locally cheaper or the same price due to the shipping costs to Canada.

It's not like I never use their website. I do all the time for looking up products, released dates on BluRays & music, track listings on albums, etc. But when I look at the price and the shipping costs, I can get it for the same price and faster by walking into a store.

Not worth the hassle to setup another acct (I do already have one that isn't being recognized) to chip in $15 for a game that I won't see for almost 2 yrs and not sure I will even like. Which if the below is true and it's for US residents only...then I'm automatically excluded anyways.

Simple rule of thumb...if you want people to give you money, make it as easy as possible.

41. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:28 eRe4s3r

I had my fair share of run ins with paypal support, being a freelancer makes it unavoidable, and i haven't had a bad experience yet - though i would not use it to buy things on ebay ;p and I am well aware of the stories, yet as freelancer you can not go around paypal, paypal is truly international, unlike Amazon payments (which excludes large swaths of nations and has extreme high markup (4%!) for international payments)

I can only argue from what I know, and as they (Kickstarter) haven't said ANYTHING on this issue for now nearly 3 years I am gonna assume they don't care.

The big difference between paypal and amazon is, by the way, that paypal doesn't want to sell me anything.

Kickstarter requires an US Bank for project creators says their FAQ, unless that is another thing that is wrong

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 14:51.

40. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:24 Dev

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 14:17:
I get that you're unhappy about it but calling it "bullshit" is absurd. It's in their own best interest to take payments any way they can, they would not do it on purpose or something silly when they get a percentage of everything, there is no rational logic in it.
Good point. I mentioned several objections to his statement, but I didn't think of that obvious one... that kickstarter WANTS to make money, and would love to make even MORE money. I have no doubt there would be many more people pledging (especially internationally) if they took paypal. I'm certain the stories in this thread about wanting/needing to use paypal are not unique.

Like I said in a previous reply, given paypal's history, its much easier to believe that paypal refused them and gave this as the reason (regardless of if paypal is lying or is ignorant or just doesn't want kickstarter, or some other reason). I'm fairly confidant that kickstarter is just repeating what paypal told them.

39. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:17 Verno

And that FAQ answer is bullshit. Paypal supports delayed payments where you commit to a charge and the charge is only deducted at a certain time when the vendor authorizes it.

Most payment processors don't like abnormally long authorization periods (its a fraud concern and costs them a lot in chargebacks), even rental companies get grief this way in the form of increased fees. So I really doubt what you're saying is anything but an outlier.

I get that you're unhappy about it but calling it "bullshit" is absurd. It's in their own best interest to take payments any way they can, they would not do it on purpose or something silly when they get a percentage of everything, there is no rational logic in it.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

38. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:05 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:51:
DrEvil wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:44:
And that FAQ answer is bullshit. Paypal supports delayed payments where you commit to a charge and the charge is only deducted at a certain time when the vendor authorizes it.

How do i know? The Nexus 2 funding used paypal for the EXACT SAME SYSTEM of funding. And it worked just fine (technically speaking ,p)

Just because Nexus got away with it doesn't mean that Kickstarter when making a formal inquiry about it didn't get rejected by PayPal. Or have you noticed that PayPal has changed how it does business the last few years?

So unless you have access to privileged information, I call BS on your suppositions.

37. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:04 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:46:
It didn't accept it. I tried retrieving user/pass and said I didnt have one. Last time I ordered anything from Amazon was UT2004 CE, which they cancelled my order the day of release. Being in Canada the shipping cost on anything usually isn't worth it. So I NEVER use Amazon, ever. They failed at the one attempt I tried to purchase a release day game from them, never again. Since then Steam and many other options have come out rendering Amazon obsolete for my needs.

If they don't want to just take my Visa or Paypal payment, then they get nothing. Not going to sign up and give my personal financial info for a service I'm rarely/never going to use. If it means I don't contribute to Kickstarters, so be it. I can wait till the game(s) are actually released.

Almost like being a minority stuck with an arbitrary requirement to do something they want

Anyway Amazon is a great company used by hundreds of millions of people and they have some insane deals even on their international sites these days. If you really want to boycott them for life over one incident then fair enough but I think you'd probably find a lot of value for your money there nowadays.

Thankfully WL2 is fully funded so it appears enough people were able to use Amazon and the result is we get a hopefully kickass old school callback game.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 14:22.

36. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:02 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:50:
You misunderstood, to apply for funding via kickstarter you have to be a US citizen with a US bank account. My grief with Amazon Payments is one of laziness (my own), i can't be arsed to fiddle around with a 6th payment provider just because kickstarter can't get their act together.

And i don't care either way... they change to support paypal, i will support projects, they don't, i won't. Is simple and nothing even evil or with ill intention. They want my money, so they offer what i want, or they don't. And clearly kickstarter doesn't give 2 cts about European customers, otherwise it'd not be US only for projects, and only via Amazon Payments. And the reason I am not using Amazon payments is the same i am not using google wallet or steam wallet, these companies have NO BUSINESS doing money transactions or knowing what i support, buy, or spend money on outside of amazon store page (or steam store etc.)
a) I don't think thats the case, see this project created by a chinese team:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light
"A Video Games project in Shanghai, China by FTL Team"

b) If your "laziness" (your term not mine) prevents you from backing, thats totally your choice.

c) If the gov wanted to track what you did, I'm sure they could, regardless of where and how you choose to pay, unless you stuck with all cash at physical stores you walked into and were never required to show ID.
All thats shown in the amazon payments part is
"For: Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions"
They have no idea what pledge level you chose, thats only available from kickstarter, not amazon. You could have chosen to just donate the money at the $1+ pledge level and not get a game at all, even if you gave $100. On kickstarter you are free to give more money than any pledge/reward level.
If you use paypal, they actually tend to have MORE knowledge about exactly what you use it for, especially on companies that only take paypal. The cart contents gets shown in paypal from companies integrated like that so paypal knows exactly what items you bought. Normally, if you walk into a walmart and pay with visa, visa only knows that $56.11 went to walmart, there's nothing that tells them what items you bought at walmart. But using paypal, they often have an exact itemized list of items you buy on sites that only take paypal and nothing else.

Anyway, like I said, you are free to not kickstart. You are missing out though.
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:51:

How do i know? The Nexus 2 funding used paypal for the EXACT SAME SYSTEM of funding. And it worked just fine (technically speaking ,p)
And maybe paypal was the one that told them that answer in the FAQ. You've never seen where a customer support person on the phone tells you something you know is different than what they told the previous guy, and is totally contradictory such that one of them is false? I know someone who calls up comcast every 6 months and tells them he is going to cancel if they don't give him back his special $30 a month promo rate for internet. And they keep giving it to him. Yet, I see reports online of people calling and phone support telling them they would never do that and have policies against it.

If paypal refuses to let them do billing through them, kickstarter may not have much recourse, even if paypal account reps are lying or ignorant.

Given the history of kickstarter vs the stupidity that can go on at paypal such as freezing accounts for any and no reason (there are entire websites devoted to paypal's shenanigans), its far easier to believe that paypal is at fault here, not kickstarter.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 14:12.

35. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:51 eRe4s3r

DrEvil wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:44:
yuastnav wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:34:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:00:
[...]
It's 15.00 I mean seriously even if you dont like his previous work at least put in to show you support this new model.

I would, if they supported PayPal.
Backing is kind of impossible without a credit card.

[edit - Corrected for clarification.]

Problem is that PayPal doesn't allow these sorts of transactions. kickstarter has a FAQ answer about this. Currently, only Amazon Payments permits this type of transaction where there's no guarantee of a delivered product.

34. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:50 eRe4s3r

You misunderstood, to apply for funding via kickstarter you have to be a US citizen with a US bank account. My grief with Amazon Payments is one of laziness (my own), i can't be arsed to fiddle around with a 6th payment provider just because kickstarter can't get their act together.

And i don't care either way... they change to support paypal, i will support projects, they don't, i won't. Is simple and nothing even evil or with ill intention. They want my money, so they offer what i want, or they don't. And clearly kickstarter doesn't give 2 cts about European customers, otherwise it'd not be US only for projects, and only via Amazon Payments. And the reason I am not using Amazon payments is the same i am not using google wallet or steam wallet, these companies have NO BUSINESS doing money transactions or knowing what i support, buy, or spend money on outside of amazon store page (or steam store etc.)

33. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:46 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:23:
[You just sign in with your Amazon account dude

It didn't accept it. I tried retrieving user/pass and said I didnt have one. Last time I ordered anything from Amazon was UT2004 CE, which they cancelled my order the day of release. Being in Canada the shipping cost on anything usually isn't worth it. So I NEVER use Amazon, ever. They failed at the one attempt I tried to purchase a release day game from them, never again. Since then Steam and many other options have come out rendering Amazon obsolete for my needs.

If they don't want to just take my Visa or Paypal payment, then they get nothing. Not going to sign up and give my personal financial info for a service I'm rarely/never going to use. If it means I don't contribute to Kickstarters, so be it. I can wait till the game(s) are actually released.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 13:52.

32. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:44 DrEvil

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:00:
[...]
It's 15.00 I mean seriously even if you dont like his previous work at least put in to show you support this new model.

Problem is that PayPal doesn't allow these sorts of transactions. kickstarter has a FAQ answer about this. Currently, only Amazon Payments permits this type of transaction where there's no guarantee of a delivered product.

31. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:31 Dev

Ok, here's the link to the kickstarter forum where someone in netherlands talks about getting a prepaid card from cash:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5981
1. Bought a Ukash voucher.
2. Converted it to a Ukash NEO prepaid MasterCard.
3. Used that prepaid (debit) card to back the project

Basically its similar to going into a Target or Walmart store and buying one of those prepaid visa type cards. I know there's things like walmart in europe, so they may well sell prepaid Visa/mastercard cards there too.

Edit: Make sure your country is on the list that can get the ukash prepaid mastercard if you do that exact series of steps. Apparently Germany was recently removed from the list of countries that ukash does that with. I'm pretty sure you can go into a store like walmart or a similar store and get prepaid cards from a variety of companies that work. I know in the US many many stores have a section of giftcards and some of them are prepaid credit/debit cards. Basically anything that says VISA or MASTERCARD on it should work. Make sure to get it for $1 more than the amount you plan on backing, amazon does a temp $1 hold on a new card to verify its legit. After you back, after the hold expires, you can spend that remaining $1 in any store that takes credit/debit. Or spend the $1 on a $1 amazon gift card and use that in a future amazon purchase.

Remember this is ONLY needed if you don't have a card setup already with amazon.com account. If you have an amazon account setup with a credit/debit card already, its as easy as paypal to pay with it. I'm in the USA and I had to go through some of the steps above when I wanted to use a $100 prepaid card I got for a gift. Since it was prepaid, I ran afoul of the $1 thing, but I got my $1 back after the hold expired and spent it on a $1 amazon gift code.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 13:40.

30. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:23 Verno

I prefer Amazon Payments anyway. Their Buyer Protection program is much stronger even for digital/service payments, its pretty much no questions asked direct refund. Paypal is a notoriously annoying company to deal with as a vendor and not much fun as a buyer either when stuff goes wrong.  

29. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:20 ASeven

Dev wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:10:
Yeah, most of the money goes to the actual game development. The $3 million isn't actually THAT much for a modern game. And its much less than the lucasarts budget of adventure games they did such as grim fandango, etc.

Remember though that in modern games the majority of its budget is for marketing and creating hype. $3M may be more than you think to make a great game.

28. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:18 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:44:
And the alternatives are too much hassle. Paypal would be simple 1 click affair, anything more than that, and they got themselves no backing.

Also, 29 months ago they claimed to "work on it" and to this day nothing has happened. Kickstarter remains US only for projects and only payment via Amazon Payments. Which lowers any intention of me ever doing any backing on this platform to nill.
Anyone (even internationally) can get a amazon.com account and sign up for amazon payments. Once you do, its a simple affair as well. Its about the same number of clicks that paypal would be, in either case you end up on the payment site (either paypal or amazon) and type in your login/password. Anyone internationally can back kickstarter projects, many projects even ask for extra shipping amounts for international buyers.
As for creating a kickstarter project, there was a recent project that was started by a group in china.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light
"A Video Games project in Shanghai, China by FTL Team "
So there ARE international projects being created.

No, its not impossible. You have to work around it. Remember the double fine bit in one of their videos that addresses international backing? As I recall, in europe (where many people don't have a credit card), it has to do with buying a prepaid card (which can be done with cash) then using that for amazon.

Here's what the kickstarter FAQ says:
Why can’t I use Paypal? Why can't Kickstarter just take my credit card info?

Kickstarter uses Amazon's Flexible Payments Service, which enables our all-or-nothing funding method. No other credit card processor currently supports our requirements. We're always talking with other companies and exploring other services, so expect more options in the future.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 13:51.

27. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:10 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:58:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:35:
Most people have an Amazon account, It's not a big deal.

While that may be true... the reason they don't offer something like PayPal has more to do with Kickstarter taking 5%, and Amazon taking another 3%-5% of a funded project.

So, DoubleFine already lost close to $330K of that 3.3 Million. The add in whatever their costs are for the "Rewards"
Yeah, most of the money goes to the actual game development. The $3 million isn't actually THAT much for a modern game. And its much less than the lucasarts budget of adventure games they did such as grim fandango, etc.

26. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:10 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:07:
Err, not really. Paypal would let them take whatever "pre-sale" percentage they want, all Paypal cares about is getting their own fee. Considering most other funding companies want a percentage of ownership I think a 5% is pretty reasonable, they facilitate the whole thing.

What I meant is that probably KickStarter and Amazon have some sort of exclusive agreement. Amazon wouldn't want PayPal muscling in on their portion of the "take".

25. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:07 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:58:
While that may be true... the reason they don't offer something like PayPal has more to do with Kickstarter taking 5%

Paypal would let them take whatever "pre-sale" percentage they want, all Paypal cares about is getting their own fee. Considering most other funding companies want a percentage of ownership I think a 5% fee is pretty reasonable, they facilitate the whole thing after all.

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo