Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near

inXile Entertainment announces their recently launched Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Campaign reached its $900,000 goal within 48 hours, and the fund to support development of the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel currently stands at over $1.1 million, and word is they are nearing the point where they can commit to Linux and OS X support:

In a message posted to all of the backers of the project, inXile said, "This is a paradigm shift that is bigger than Wasteland 2. This is the beginning of a new era in gaming where the developer gets to work directly with the fans to build the type of product that the fans want. The games are fan funded with fan input and use digital distribution methods to bypass both publishers and retail.

The latest status of the now funded project has the number of backers at over 20,000 and the funds pledge at over 1.1 Million Dollars. With over 30 days left until the funding ends, Fargo has hopes of being able to soon announce more features that will be added to the project, saying, "The fact that our supporters are buying in at an average of over $55 each says a lot about the level of dedication the fans have towards this product. No matter how much money is raised, all of it will go into making the best game we possibly can." On the strength of this early success and in response to popular request, he has already added a Linux version to go along with the Mac version at the rapidly approaching $1.5 million milestone.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 18, 2012, 01:25 nin

Yep, we're about to cross 1.3 now, so 1.5 looks easy. I never played the original either, but I'm looking forward to this.

Such a wonderful feeling seeing projects like this happen!

I'm actually watching a totalbiscuit video on it right now: http://youtu.be/ak3tepg36XA

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 18, 2012, 00:24 Lord Tea

I'm sure it will surpass $1.5 million eventually. I've never played the original Wasteland (my first RPG on PC was SSI's Star Command in '89) but from what I've read Wasteland was groundbreaking and HARDCORE  
UPSA = United Police States of America

82. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 16:18 nin

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 14:54:
Pledged $75. I really want this to happen (check) and I want it to be good (pending). I like the goodies bundled with $75, and I like how they bypass a fucking publisher with its fucking DRM. Besides, Fargo is an old-schooler and I'm confident he'll approach this project with the right attitude.

A very inspiring post today, and it makes me glad I kicked in:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/191771

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

81. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 14:54 Lord Tea

Pledged $75. I really want this to happen (check) and I want it to be good (pending). I like the goodies bundled with $75, and I like how they bypass a fucking publisher with its fucking DRM. Besides, Fargo is an old-schooler and I'm confident he'll approach this project with the right attitude.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

80. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 11:37 Agrajag

venomhed wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 17:06:
I would forget OSX and Linux, they want to play? Get a Windows system, dual boot it or whatever. Save the cash for getting the game fun and bug free.

OSX and Linux have abandoned gaming anyways, fuck em.

How about fuck you instead?

The only reason the Humble Indie Bundle always gets my money (and lots of it)? Linux support... The only reason Double Fine Adventure got my money? Linux support... The only reason Wasteland 2 is going to get my money now? Linux support...

79. Re: hard, pipe hittin niggas Mar 17, 2012, 10:55 Beamer

Man, I am so happy it is Amazon instead of PayPal.

PayPal does too many sketchy things with funds and is far too easy for people to game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

78. hard, pipe hittin niggas Mar 17, 2012, 09:25 space captain

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 17:07:
I'm weak, I know. I am a slave to the machine. Sad

Creston

at least you get to rock a nice leather gimp suit

you got a pretty mouth, btw

Go forth, and kill!

77. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 09:06 Dev

yuastnav wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 08:43:
Dev mentioned prepaid cards however I don't remember ever seeing any in stores. Maybe I have to look harder.
What country? Google can usually turn up some options.

In the USA, walmart has multiple varieties of prepaid cards, usually in the area where they have 50 varieties of gift cards. I've seen walmarts in other countries, I bet if one were to ask where the gift card wall was, one could find prepaid there cards too.

76. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 08:43 yuastnav

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 21:28:
Wasteland 2 gets funded after a 20 year wait and gamers celebrate by arguing the merits of payment processing systems.

[...]

Well of course. I want to support this since the result may be a Linux version of the game but since they do not accept PayPal there is no way for me to do so. :/

Dev mentioned prepaid cards however I don't remember ever seeing any in stores. Maybe I have to look harder.

75. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 17, 2012, 01:32 Creston

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 17:17:
He's been on ignore for quite awhile, so he can bleat and cry all he wants. It's glorious silence on my end.

Creston

just imagine if you could do it on your own, without the aid of computerized software...

you dont even know glorious, son

I'm weak, I know. I am a slave to the machine. Sad

Creston

74. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 21:28 Silicon Avatar

Wasteland 2 gets funded after a 20 year wait and gamers celebrate by arguing the merits of payment processing systems.

The internet is awesome.

It reminds me that I still actually need to donate though. I just haven't decided what level I want to part with. Anyone want to cough up $9950? I want to go to the party.

73. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 19:51 Tumbler

If payment is the issue you can always have a friend donate for you. the game is drm free so your friend can just transfer you a copy.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

72. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 19:00 Prez

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 18:16:
Wasteland 2 is getting made, and is going to be an old school party based cRPG. I'm not sure what all the bitching and whining is about, but have at it. I'll be enjoying my day.

I don't think the "whining and bitching" is for Wasteland 2's project. It seems to be about the "Tactical Shooter Project" that is barely at 25% of its goal with only 2 weeks before the deadline.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 18:47 Cutter

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 18:16:
Wasteland 2 is getting made, and is going to be an old school party based cRPG. I'm not sure what all the bitching and whining is about, but have at it. I'll be enjoying my day.

Amen! I am down with this, as the kids say.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

70. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 18:16 Beelzebud

69. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 17:46 ASeven

Donkey_Punch wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 17:39:
eunichron wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 16:34:
I can't help but think how much of a slap in the face the Double Fine and Wasteland 2 Kickstarters are to Christian Allen.

It is his own fault. He has done a piss-poor job on Kickstarter. He hasn't convinced the potential backers that he can get the job done.

His website is almost empty, he has no game title, no ideas. He keeps mentioning "his team" but so far it looks like it is just him (note how the blooper reel to his second video makes it look like he is alone and is operating the camera himself).

And from what I hear, his kickstarter funds would only be to make something that could be shown to publishers to get more funding, beating the principle of kickstarter in the first place. No wonder nobody has bought into it, it's a fucking mess.

68. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 17:39 Donkey_Punch

eunichron wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 16:34:
I can't help but think how much of a slap in the face the Double Fine and Wasteland 2 Kickstarters are to Christian Allen.

It is his own fault. He has done a piss-poor job on Kickstarter. He hasn't convinced the potential backers that he can get the job done.

His website is almost empty, he has no game title, no ideas. He keeps mentioning "his team" but so far it looks like it is just him (note how the blooper reel to his second video makes it look like he is alone and is operating the camera himself).

67. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 17:17 space captain

He's been on ignore for quite awhile, so he can bleat and cry all he wants. It's glorious silence on my end.

Creston

just imagine if you could do it on your own, without the aid of computerized software...

you dont even know glorious, son

Go forth, and kill!

66. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 17:07 Creston

Dades wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 16:45:
Please don't, you're going to make him google "how to argue with people on the internet" and throw the top link in your face. Laugh at the hypocrisy and move on, brand loyalty peons are a dime a dozen.

Creston

65. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 17:06 venomhed

Almost like a credit union! For the people b(u)y the people.

I would forget OSX and Linux, they want to play? Get a Windows system, dual boot it or whatever. Save the cash for getting the game fun and bug free.

OSX and Linux have abandoned gaming anyways, fuck em.

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo