Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs

Obsidian's Chris Avellone indicated that Obsidian just missed a bonus for Fallout: New Vegas, reports Joystiq, saying this came in a tweet from a no longer existent account, allegedly saying: "[Fallout: New Vegas] was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn't." Sure enough, the game currently sits at 84 on Metacritic. They also note their report of layoffs at Obsidian, though these are still unconfirmed. Thanks nin.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 22:14 Beelzebud

I'm just glad Wasteland 2 is going to be a reality, because I'll totally skip the next Bethesda produced Fallout game.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 22:12 Prez

That sucks. The bonus should be based on how well the game sold, not on a bunch of arbitrary numbers from some pretend "journalists".

Fallout NV is superior to its already excellent predecessor in nearly every way.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 22:06 Paranoid Jack

I'm sitting here trying to figure out all these "buggy as shit" comments. FNV was ten times better in almost every aspect compared to F3. I'm baffled. I never got far into Fallout 3 because the constant crashes drove me bat-shit crazy. It started thirty seconds outside of Vault 13. And after suffering through the most horrid tutorial phase of any game created... I shudder to think about starting F3 over as a baby.

Bethesda claimed it was my sound card. I removed the drivers and the card itself and the game continued to crash randomly no matter what I tried. I just shelved it and after they patched it I'd try to play it over and over again always giving up.

If it were not for FNV I doubt I would have bought Skyrim. My opinion of Bethesda was so low I didn't think I wanted to suffer through another crash-fest. And I remember Morrowind and Oblivion being buggy too. Though nothing compared to the mess F3 was.

After playing dozens of hours of FNV I think it crashed to desktop maybe three times. I even played it on my older machine to see if it was the machine or the program. FNV played fine on the same machine F3 was extremely unstable on.

I know Obsidian makes a lot of bad decisions when it comes to the deals they sign with the Devils of the industry... but damn. They need to start learning from these things. Maybe they should have flown in the gaming media from around the world... paying for all the food, booze, and prostitutes they could possibly handle like Bethesda did when they started up the hype machine for the F3 release?

19. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 22:02 Cutter

Well that's how it goes. Same in sports. Don't do enough of XYZ and no bonus for you. Given how much money they make with this sort of stuff anyway I doubt anyone is shedding any tears for them.

Obsidian needs to do a Kickstarter for a new CRPG creator in the vein of NWN!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:57 Elim

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:46:
They deserved better than this... Fallout New Vegas was a great game, and was miles better than Fallout 3.
New Vegas is not stupid enough, also the dialogue was great, my tiny brain does not want to think. When i'm home i just want to play a gaaame. *Plays Fallout 3/Skyrimjob*

17. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:52 Riker

That really sucks. Here's hoping this Kickstarter/fuck-the-publishers movement starts to transform the industry.  

16. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:52 Tumbler

Ill have to pick up the complete version that showed up recently. Sounds like this is worth a second shot.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:46 Beelzebud

They deserved better than this... Fallout New Vegas was a great game, and was miles better than Fallout 3.

They wanted to work on Fallout and took what they were offered. Bethesda/Zenimax are scumbags for even offering contracts like that. No royalties? A bonus based on Metacritic... It's not hard to see why Inxile and Double Fine just took it to the people. Publishers are fucking stupid.

14. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:44 WaltC

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:16:
Not sure why you'd ever agree to a deal where you get money based on an aggregate score of subjective views by third parties.

No tears shed here.

Creston

This deal was just one of many bonus conditions most likely in their contract--certainly not the only one...;)

I have to say that on buying the game during a recent Steam sale for--I think--$4.99--it was pretty rough and rugged before I started installing the plentiful mods made available for it by the community. The one thing that stands out in my memory was just how bad the textures & general graphics were in the vanilla game--it looked like something published a decade earlier, imo. If the fully modded game could have been reviewed there's no doubt it would have garnered a 90+, at least, but in the condition I saw of the final release (prior to any mod installations), I think they were very lucky to get an 84. As I recall the vanilla FNV was much, much worse-looking than the vanilla Fallout3--which really surprised me. Both games benefit greatly from community mods, but FNV was by far the most improved of the two,imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

13. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:44 CJ_Parker

Well then... try harder next time Obsidian and quite whining, kthx  

12. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:38 ASeven

How fun it is to work in this miserable, rotten industry when bonus are tied to an aggregate site that does crappy rating conversions. (A 4 out of 5 can not in any good measure be converted into an 80 as metacritic does).

But that's a debate for another thread, I guess.

11. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:36 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:16:
Not sure why you'd ever agree to a deal where you get money based on an aggregate score of subjective views by third parties.

No tears shed here.

Creston

Aside from it being a standard industry practice, it's easy to say that when you're choices are sign that deal or possibly have to close your company and lay all your staff off because it's your only prospect. Independent AAA developers (especially ones who are in a work-for-hire state and don't own their own IP) operate in a brutal business environment right now where the publishers basically have all the cards. You play by their rules or you go out of business. I'm curious what you'd do when faced with such a choice.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

10. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:16 Creston

No tears shed here.

Creston

9. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:14 Quboid

I know it's easy for me to say this when it's not my money, but wouldn't it be worth recognising that FNV was an excellent game? These people should be rewarded, and have their next projects better funded - and maybe if they weren't so buggy on release then reviews would be higher (as review scores are apparently all that matter).

I'm not saying they should have money thrown at them but given how great FNV was, and how well it sold (I believe), that's just a sound investment.

- Quboid

8. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:11 DedEye

Unfair  

7. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:10 ChangWizzle

They really gotta cut that out. Or at least weed out the reviews from folks that had no desire to rate the game honestly (most of these are obvious). Bottom line, is stuff like this effects whether we will get another game  

6. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:10 Kastagir

It was a crash-fest for months after release. It's much better now, but before all the DLC and updates, it was rather painful to play. And this is nothing new with Obsidian (NWN anyone?).  

5. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:04 Fion

How can this incredible game not have an 85 at Metacritic? Sure the first few days were rocky but over all New Vegas is WORLDS better than Fallout 3 (which has a 91). Not to mention it's easily the best Obsidian game.. ever lol.  

4. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:02 Silicon Avatar

That's too bad because it's a great game with all the DLC.

On the other hand, they released it as a buggy mess. All the worst reviews probably came up when the game came out. Avellone needs to think about THAT.

3. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:01 wtf_man

As the Ars Technica article describes... many publishers do this.

Why linking developer bonuses to Metacritic...

It's stupid... but apparently an industry standard.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo