Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 17, 2012, 04:39 zirik

gray wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 08:51:
zirik wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 03:57:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:07:
The Western World REALLY F'd up ceding the production of these metals to the Chinese.

its not ceding the production but its where they can be found and thats in china.

Rare earth deposits span the globe, China significantly undercut the US;

http://www.businessinsider.com/rare-earths-map

deposits span the globe but look at the production capacity and the amount of deposits/resources. the chinese controls a majority of rare earth production globally. many of the sources outside china are not active. a lot of them are in RD (research & development) stage of engineering.

the US should hit back at china with restrictions on rice technology export. 60% of rice breed used worldwide came about as the result of research funded by the US. drought resistant, high yielding rice gene material should be export restricted to china. hunger can be an effective bargaining tool.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2012, 06:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 17:55 eRe4s3r

Mhh... fair point Isn't that the lovely reality of our world, to every human problem there seems to be an elegant and simple solution, and it is always wrong.

But why would Europe punish the US for Chinese import tariffs. You would just need to refocus exports, away from China.

9. chimp style Mar 16, 2012, 17:14 space captain

we should go back to enforcing genital mutilation on rival tribes

it works for the monkeys

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 17:05 Bhruic

If they'd produce locally, and force import tariffs on any import that undercuts national prices/labor costs the problem would be solved.

In the way, if your nose is itchy, you cut it off "solves" the problem. Forcing import tariffs would just result in other countries doing the same to the US exports, and the US economy can't survive without exports.

7. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 08:51 gray

zirik wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 03:57:
The Western World REALLY F'd up ceding the production of these metals to the Chinese.

its not ceding the production but its where they can be found and thats in china.

Rare earth deposits span the globe, China significantly undercut the US;

http://www.businessinsider.com/rare-earths-map

6. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 07:30 eRe4s3r

But you do realize that it's their resources right? They can even close down the market and the western world could do jack shit, except maybe raise a trade-war via tariffs which given that 50% of all crap is produced in China using China's resources and China's factories, would instantly end consumerism in the western world. But won't actually hurt China in the long run.

This is not China in control, this is greed making companies outsource production and services into China which gives China all the power without actually doing a thing. Outsourcing should be a crime, it directly and irreplaceable damages the economy of the nation where the jobs are outsourced from while it boost the economy in the nation where they outsourced to. Any company doing outsourcing should be put down for terrorism, because that what it is. Damaging your own country and its society for sole purpose of greed.

There is only a trade deficit in the US because American companies decide for there to be one. If they'd produce locally, and force import tariffs on any import that undercuts national prices/labor costs the problem would be solved. But apparently "American freedom" involves the freedom to ruin your own country and be proud about it.

But then, American freedom also involves being killed by your own government without trial and proof. Obama, Bush JR and SR and Clinton fit right together, terrorists ruining their own country in their own ways. Each one differently, but all nontheless equally damaging.

5. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 05:34 Cutter

It was a big mistake and Clinton did that..under pressure from the republican controlled houses. That's not to say the democrats aren't dity too, only slightly less so.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Rare Earth Metals Mar 16, 2012, 03:57 zirik

its not ceding the production but its where they can be found and thats in china. i didnt follow the link but read about it at the BBC. it seems the export limit china has imposed has two effects in the industrial world. one, it raised the price of rare earth metal exports. and second it drastically lowered the price inside china furthering the advantage of chinese electronics manufacturers over international competition. i always thought giving china membership at WTO and preferred trading partner status of the US was a big mistake. now they call the shots and we cant do shit about it. the trade deficit grows bigger with china in control.

3. Re: Britannica Mar 16, 2012, 02:48 Mordecai Walfish

Windows killed Britannica? LOL

More like the INTERNET killed Britannica.

2. Rare Earth Metals Mar 15, 2012, 23:07 jdreyer

The Western World REALLY F'd up ceding the production of these metals to the Chinese. WTF were they thinking? "Oh, it's the free market at work", except that the Chinese completely subsidized their industry to drive ALL the other competitors out of business.

Total lack of vision in this regard.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Britannica Mar 15, 2012, 23:04 jdreyer

From the article:

“I suspect almost no one ever opened their Britannicas,” says Appelbaum. “Britannica’s own market research showed that the typical encyclopedia owner opened his or her volumes less than once a year,” say Greenstein and Devereux.

It's funny, but I used our sets growing up in the 80s all the time, just the same way I use Wikipedia today: Anytime I needed a baseline knowledge of some subject I didn't know about. Eventually I did get Encarta CDs (a few versions over the year, although I never bought them, some how I would get copies for free) however, I NEVER used the CDs.

Wikipedia of course, blows both of these models away, with a few caveats.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo