Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced

The counter has reached zero on the Baldur's Gate Website, which has resulted in load their server is not up to, so a little patience is required to visit right now. The announcement they were counting down to is that work is underway on Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, which are being overhauled by Overhaul Games, a division of Beamdog (apologies for arigially writing that as "Moondog"). Details are still scant, though Gamer's Hell points the way to tweets by Beamdog's Trent Oster adding that clarifying that there will be separate Enhanced Editions for BG1 and BG2, that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion, and they are very interested in supporting the mod community. He also states they are looking at releasing the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition this summer.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 17, 2012, 06:58 ibm

I agree it could have more polish and better integration of the work the modders have done and the point about if this is a success more could be done with other classic games ie not just make them work on modern OS.

So I hope people do buy this, I might if it's cheap enough just to support this project but it must have some significant polish/improvements as well though. Aw hell, I'll probably buy it for the third time anyway

Some nice work going on with the BG2 Redux mod that's in the works using Dragon Age, Irenicus' dungeon complete so far!

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2012, 07:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 11:39 eRe4s3r

Nothing about BIG WORLD installation is straight forward. Large parts of the linklists vary between dead, ultra dead, and terrible dead. And only recently someone actually has restarted maintaining the lists that the installer uses.

Heck, Big World has an Installation manual larger than many books. And you are well advised to read it *well* given that *recommended* installs a truckload of mods you really do NOT want for your first play through. Or your second one.

40. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 10:09 Pineapple Ferguson

While that was a good game, there was far too much reading and not enough fighting in that game. I remember going through so much dialog that I thought it would never end.

LOL.. Well they did make DA2 with people like you in mind so there you go...

39. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 09:28 Darks

OpticNerve wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 03:04:
Where's my damned Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition? :[

While that was a good game, there was far too much reading and not enough fighting in that game. I remember going through so much dialog that I thought it would never end. The combat was great though when you did have it. I imagine that if this ED they are converting does well that we can expect more from them.

Iím hoping these guys preserver the Coop that BG had. it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

38. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 09:21 nin

Moog wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 06:43:
Just get it onto Steam and sell a boatload FFS!

I suspect, unfortunately, it'll stay on Moondog (heh). They never brought the MD2 2 reissue to steam.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 08:57 SXO

panbient wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 08:41:
ibm wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 07:08:
Also everyone excited about this already has the games right? You know you can mod them together to make the equivalent of one huge game with graphics enhancements already, just by following a straightforward url=http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18195246&highlight=baldurs]guide[/url].

Yes, but as I mention in my other comments, the current 'widescreen' support leaves a bit to be desired unless you enjoy playing the miniaturized version of BG on your modern flatscreen HD monitor.

A 75 pixel tall character in an 800x600 display is 12.5% the height of the screen. The same 75 pixel tall character in a 1920x1080 window is 7% of the height. So while you can see LOTS of background, it's not quite the same presentation when all the characters are half sized (including ALL the now headache inducing teeny tiny text).

That NEEDS to be fixed and I don't think it's something that should be left to the community to pick up since it's likely an issue with inner workings of the Infinity Engine rather than something that can be tweaked from the finished product - otherwise I'm confident the community would have implemented more robust HD / Widescreen support.

Yes, I was more than happy with a functional 'fix' for a 15 year old game that mostly gets it right. But I will not be happy if a 15 year old game get re-released (and not just a repack) without support for modern presentation.

I don't need full 3d or to be able to circle the camera around my party. No cutscenes or animations for criticals or fancy spells. No trophies. No Facebook integration. No update to 4th edition rules (how they'll get around to using a very old version of the DnD rules worries me).

Just take the old game, dust it off, reintegrate the stuff that was originally cut and the pro level community content, and make it look right and play smooth on modern computers. Then do it again for Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale in that order.
Another point to think about is that if this sells well enough, it will be another demonstration that there is indeed a market for this type of classic RPG out there. For that alone, I'm willing to buy these games again for the third time.

36. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 08:55 Bopper

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:50:
Can't get to the website. What is "enhanced" about it?
CrushBug wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:08:
Its "Beamdog", not "Moondog"

And not to be confused with Catdog, Cavedog, Underdog, "What's up dog?" or anything else canine-related.

You forgot Naughty Dog.

- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

35. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 08:41 panbient

ibm wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 07:08:
Also everyone excited about this already has the games right? You know you can mod them together to make the equivalent of one huge game with graphics enhancements already, just by following a straightforward url=http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18195246&highlight=baldurs]guide[/url].

Yes, but as I mention in my other comments, the current 'widescreen' support leaves a bit to be desired unless you enjoy playing the miniaturized version of BG on your modern flatscreen HD monitor.

A 75 pixel tall character in an 800x600 display is 12.5% the height of the screen. The same 75 pixel tall character in a 1920x1080 window is 7% of the height. So while you can see LOTS of background, it's not quite the same presentation when all the characters are half sized (including ALL the now headache inducing teeny tiny text).

That NEEDS to be fixed and I don't think it's something that should be left to the community to pick up since it's likely an issue with inner workings of the Infinity Engine rather than something that can be tweaked from the finished product - otherwise I'm confident the community would have implemented more robust HD / Widescreen support.

Yes, I was more than happy with a functional 'fix' for a 15 year old game that mostly gets it right. But I will not be happy if a 15 year old game get re-released (and not just a repack) without support for modern presentation.

I don't need full 3d or to be able to circle the camera around my party. No cutscenes or animations for criticals or fancy spells. No trophies. No Facebook integration. No update to 4th edition rules (how they'll get around to using a very old version of the DnD rules worries me).

Just take the old game, dust it off, reintegrate the stuff that was originally cut and the pro level community content, and make it look right and play smooth on modern computers. Then do it again for Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale in that order.

34. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 07:08 ibm

Keen on supporting the mod community?

Does that mean they are going to give them some money for all the work they will no doubt be using either directly or indirectly?

Also everyone excited about this already has the games right? You know you can mod them together to make the equivalent of one huge game with graphics enhancements already, just by following a straightforward guide.

33. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 06:43 Moog

Just get it onto Steam and sell a boatload FFS!  

32. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 03:04 OpticNerve

Where's my damned Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition? :[  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

31. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 00:28 Esoteric

SXO wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:17:
This is totally anti-climactic without any kind of screenshot or videos to accompany the announcement.

Yeah, it's kind of lame without screenshots, at the very least.

30. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 21:55 Riker

And the award for most disappointing troll announcement is...  

29. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 21:36 Bhruic

After being on the receiving end of

the biggest fucking troll ever

http://i.imgur.com/Dmog4.png

28. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 21:17 SXO

This is totally anti-climactic without any kind of screenshot or videos to accompany the announcement.  

27. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 21:16 Creston

After being on the receiving end of

the biggest fucking troll ever

I don't think I'm buying any more Bioware games.

Creston

26. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 20:18 Cutter

Enh.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 20:09 Kastagir

This was a failed announcement (countdown to a server crash?), but there is information on Trent Oster's twitter feed. There will be screenshots next week.

Edit: WTF is "Moondog?"

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 19:51:
They couldn't do anything as sophisticated as WEIDU even if they tried....

Trent Oster is a frequent visitor of Gibberlings3, so I doubt they'll ignore the utility of WEIDU when considering mods or implementing fixes.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 21:06.

24. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 19:51 eRe4s3r

They couldn't do anything as sophisticated as WEIDU even if they tried....  

23. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 19:25 panbient

LittleMe wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:40:
I think what we want to hear is a truly modernized but completely faithful update of the game. Not just widescreen support and a handful of bug fixes.

Agreed. There's something to be said about widescreen support as well. What's currently out there is technically 'widescreen' but when I run the game at 1280x720 my character is maybe as tall as the Alt-key on your keyboard. Sure, the game currently displays a widescreen amount of pixels but the game wasn't originally presented from a super detached panoramic perspective. It's nice for battles and stuff but it makes it hard to notice detail in the actual characters or the indoor environments.

The only thing missing here is the ability to zoom, it can't be THAT hard to implement into a decades old 2.5d graphics engine can it?

If they can manage that feature alone it's good enough for me.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo