Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III May 15th

Blizzard announces a May 15th release date for Diablo III, saying this is when the action/RPG sequel will be available at retail in many territories, and digitally in others. They have kicked off presales of the game on this page, offering the game in either form, as well as in a USD $99.99 alabaster-white retail Collector's Edition. They also offer a reminder that a free copy of the game is to be had for those who sign up for a World of Warcraft annual pass. Here's word:

In Diablo III, players take on the role of one of five heroic characters -- barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter -- and engage in pulse-pounding combat with endless legions of evil. As they undertake an epic quest to rid Sanctuary from the corrupting forces of the Burning Hells, players will explore diverse and perilous settings, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or aid them in other ways.

Diablo III was built from the ground up to leverage the full functionality of the Battle.net platform, which delivers powerful matchmaking and communication tools, allowing adventurers to seamlessly join forces for exciting cooperative play. Battle.net also provides a secure infrastructure for the Diablo III auction house, a feature-rich marketplace that Sanctuary’s heroes can use to trade their hard-earned treasures. Players will be able to buy and sell weapons, armor, and other valuable items in the auction house in exchange for in-game gold. Players will also have the option to receive real-world currency for auction house sales, which they can apply to their Battle.net Balance for the purchase of a variety of digital products through Battle.net, including Diablo III auction house items, or cash out through a third-party payment service such as PayPal™ in most regions. Further details related to the auction house will be announced in the coming weeks.

View
233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

173. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 23:17 LittleMe

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:28:
Are there any more singleplayer/LAN coop games like Din's Curse? Those are the kinds of games I am interested in.

I presume you've heard about http://www.grimdawn.com/ ? Not out yet. And if I were them, I'd wait at least 2 months after the D3 release.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

172. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:52 ASeven

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:44:
Yeah I got that one on Steam some time back. I'll wait and see about Path of Exile though I am not a fan of persistent world games. I just don't like playing my RPG's with others.

You can solo it entirely if you want, the world instances made for you are only shared with others if you want.

171. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:44 Prez

Yeah I got that one on Steam some time back. I'll wait and see about Path of Exile though I am not a fan of persistent world games. I just don't like playing my RPG's with others.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

170. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:41 ASeven

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:28:
ASeven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:30:
I played the D3 beta, I played Path of Exile. I'll stick with PoE, far more fun than the latest D3 beta and while it's online only at least it has the right price for such a scheme, FUCKING FREE.

Well, Path of Exile doesn't look to be something I would be interested in. Are there any more singleplayer/LAN coop games like Din's Curse? Those are the kinds of games I am interested in.

http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Overview.html

Or anything done by them really.

169. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:32 Alamar

McJammiepants wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:21:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:08:
Yawn. So, is anyone actually looking forward to this game? I thought the beta was quite fun. The online thing doesn't bother me, maybe because I play so many MMOs and online games.

I am. I think half the reason these games don't induce the boners they used to is because the fans aren't 15 anymore, and have their left hemispheres WAAAYY too involved. This is exemplified by most of the posts below. Seriously, many of you are thinking much too much about this, and therefor have yourselves to blame for a lack of enjoyment, and no one else.

This is another way of saying 'ignorance is bliss' : )

And I don't mean that in an insulting way; we are all ignorant of so many things.

-Alamar

168. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:28 Prez

I played the D3 beta, I played Path of Exile. I'll stick with PoE, far more fun than the latest D3 beta and while it's online only at least it has the right price for such a scheme, FUCKING FREE.

Well, Path of Exile doesn't look to be something I would be interested in. Are there any more singleplayer/LAN coop games like Din's Curse? Those are the kinds of games I am interested in.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

167. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:21 McJammiepants

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:08:
Yawn. So, is anyone actually looking forward to this game? I thought the beta was quite fun. The online thing doesn't bother me, maybe because I play so many MMOs and online games.

I am. I think half the reason these games don't induce the boners they used to is because the fans aren't 15 anymore, and have their left hemispheres WAAAYY too involved. This is exemplified by most of the posts below. Seriously, many of you are thinking much too much about this, and therefor have yourselves to blame for a lack of enjoyment, and no one else.

166. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:08 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

165. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 22:00 eRe4s3r

ASeven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:32:
Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:39:

That PoE was compared to D3 in terms of being online only and not looking into the fact that PoE has the right price for many of us who are opposed to online DRM because it's FUCKING FREE is laughable. Anyone who plays PoE over D3 doesn't have double standards, we do have working brains though because we're able to distinguish FREE from paid.

Ok I get it its free. Now, what is path of evil? I may be interested if its diablo like or torchlight like, can you throw out a paragraph mini review about why you like it?

FRE... ahem. Well, Path of Exile is an indie F2P ARPG with persistent online connection as well. Some in the PoE forum compare it to Diablo 2 and call it the update that never happened to D2. The passive skill tree is massive, and by massive I mean this. Right now it's still in close beta and many of the worlds are yet to be implemented but the gameplay I found to be highly enjoyable if you enjoyed D2. You can only gain skills by obtaining gems, which can get upgraded as you gain experience, making it easy for you to customize your character to have the skills you want. Gems work in slots on both armor and weapons and some skill gems only work with specific armor or weapons. There's also no gold coins, or any kind of coins. The transaction currency is in the form of the scrolls and improvement trinkets you find along the way which serve a double purpose, either for you to use it on your inventory or yourself, like a Scroll of Identify, or to use it as currency to sell or buy weapons at the vendors.

The maps are broken down into various sections, the main section being a tiny town where it acts as your refuge and place to buy and sell stuff. There are no expendable mana or life potions, you have 5 slots that you can fill with health or mana flasks which get replenished as you kill enemies and then you can use them on yourself. You'll only have those 5 slots ever and the flasks are non-expendable although they can come in magical forms as well with extra properties. Items right now are only divided in common, magical and unique but they all have enough different stats and mods to make it worthwhile.

I enjoy it, it's like a graphical and engine upgrade to D2 and though it lacks a lot of the niceties you find in D3 at its core this is a pure ARPG that anyone who loved D2 will love.

That actually sounds incredible interesting... how come I never heard of that?

164. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:32 ASeven

Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:39:

That PoE was compared to D3 in terms of being online only and not looking into the fact that PoE has the right price for many of us who are opposed to online DRM because it's FUCKING FREE is laughable. Anyone who plays PoE over D3 doesn't have double standards, we do have working brains though because we're able to distinguish FREE from paid.

Ok I get it its free. Now, what is path of evil? I may be interested if its diablo like or torchlight like, can you throw out a paragraph mini review about why you like it?

FRE... ahem. Well, Path of Exile is an indie F2P ARPG with persistent online connection as well. Some in the PoE forum compare it to Diablo 2 and call it the update that never happened to D2. The passive skill tree is massive, and by massive I mean this. Right now it's still in close beta and many of the worlds are yet to be implemented but the gameplay I found to be highly enjoyable if you enjoyed D2. You can only gain skills by obtaining gems, which can get upgraded as you gain experience, making it easy for you to customize your character to have the skills you want. Gems work in slots on both armor and weapons and some skill gems only work with specific armor or weapons. There's also no gold coins, or any kind of coins. The transaction currency is in the form of the scrolls and improvement trinkets you find along the way which serve a double purpose, either for you to use it on your inventory or yourself, like a Scroll of Identify, or to use it as currency to sell or buy weapons at the vendors.

The maps are broken down into various sections, the main section being a tiny town where it acts as your refuge and place to buy and sell stuff. There are no expendable mana or life potions, you have 5 slots that you can fill with health or mana flasks which get replenished as you kill enemies and then you can use them on yourself. You'll only have those 5 slots ever and the flasks are non-expendable although they can come in magical forms as well with extra properties. Items right now are only divided in common, magical and unique but they all have enough different stats and mods to make it worthwhile.

I enjoy it, it's like a graphical and engine upgrade to D2 and though it lacks a lot of the niceties you find in D3 at its core this is a pure ARPG that anyone who loved D2 will love.

163. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:22 ASeven

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 19:56:
ASeven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 19:09:
Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 19:08:

Such passion!

Nah, just plain common sense, something that's sorely lacking to some in this thread.

I'm not sure making a direct comparison between the two games is fair. That's why I plan on downloading PoE to give it a whirl.

Well, the most common comparison I read on the PoE forums is that PoE is Diablo 2.5 in a good way and I tend to agree on that. You are right, D3 is a different beast though both are ARPGs. Still, I find myself playing PoE more than I did the D3 beta. Others are the other way around. I guess I personally prefer the D2 style to the new one.

162. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:13 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:15:
You didn't Maphack?

You must be the only person on the planet.
*raises hand* I didn't.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

161. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:13 Undocumented Alien

I guess I am dense. If offline and online were separate. And online was messed up. How does removing offline fix the problem?

Bravo!

160. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:12:
Offline and Online was separated in D2. This is what caused the problem, thus why it's online only now.

I guess I am dense. If offline and online were separate. And online was messed up. How does removing offline fix the problem?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

159. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:08 RollinThundr

Alamar wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:50:

Actually, there is only one reason, and it has never been different with Blizzard; money. Many people are upset, because Blizzard, to them, was a bastion of light, and think a merger changed things, and apparently abruptly...

-Alamar

Oh I'm well aware and really it isn't a new thing, Blizzard has always been greedy no matter which corporate parent company they've had over the years (Davidson & Associates, Vivendi etc etc) That their titles remained full price years after release was always pretty telling imo.

158. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:04 eRe4s3r

Oh please, thats like saying that billions of people lived before you so your own life is pointless because everything has already been done and said at least once.

That does not mean that something that needs to be said should not be said more than once. Or just because someone has done something before you, that you shouldn't do it again to prove a point or to simply enjoy life

So clearly this is not a waste of time, because that would require there to be time that is wasted. And no time in your life, is ever wasted. Even if it involves arguging over stupid always-online Diablo 3 and Activision pwning Blizzard so badly that you couldn't recognize the result even with hubble.

Ps.: Watching a movie while typing this ;p

157. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:01 Undocumented Alien

Factual - 'But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.'

Whats "amateurish" is paraphrasing to make your case. When you take the paragraph together, as a whole, it is in the context that "Pardo" believes that people want to take their preexisting SP Offline mode characters to B.NET. I am pretty sure the D2 UI told (warned) you it won't be possible to transfer your character from SP to B.NET. So you see, in it's point, this WAS NOT a problem in D2, so why would it be in D3?

I'm all for differing views, and discussion is healthy, but try to stay within the rules of what english consitutes, please : )

Practice what you preach. And if you are going to go out of your way to "try" to teach grammar and English on an internet game forum, then learn to spell ("constitutes").

Don't make me have to be cool and /facepalm you.

156. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 21:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Alamar wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:50:
Let me spell it out though, just in case...

Factual - 'But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.'

Opinion - 'lame a fucking reason', 'DOES NOT indicate a valid reason'

Seeing the difference yet?
Simple fix for stupid excuse: just tell the player in BIG BOLD LETTERS that if they start an offline character, they will NEVER get to use that character online. Problem solved. Then the rest of use could play offline all we want, no cheating problem whatsoever.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

155. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 20:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Yifes wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:33:
They're not deceiving anyone. They're letting you know months in advance so you don't waste your money. You can either buy it and deal with it, or move the fuck on and stop bitching about it.
Actually, I can NOT buy it, AND bitch about it! Free speech is cool. I can tell others that Blizzard and the fanboys are full of shit when they say stuff about it being online only to prevent cheating. I can point out that you're at the mercy of their servers and your ISP if you want to play the game you paid for. I can at least help to inform some people about the problems. If they want to buy anyway, fine. That's their decision. My decision is to point out the crap that ActiBliz is peddling.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

154. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 20:53 Yifes

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:47:
My goal is not to affect blizzard, but to affect potential buyers

Good luck on your huge waste of time. As with anything so polarizing, people have already made up their minds and all this arguing is just pedantics.

233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo