Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III May 15th

Blizzard announces a May 15th release date for Diablo III, saying this is when the action/RPG sequel will be available at retail in many territories, and digitally in others. They have kicked off presales of the game on this page, offering the game in either form, as well as in a USD $99.99 alabaster-white retail Collector's Edition. They also offer a reminder that a free copy of the game is to be had for those who sign up for a World of Warcraft annual pass. Here's word:

In Diablo III, players take on the role of one of five heroic characters -- barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter -- and engage in pulse-pounding combat with endless legions of evil. As they undertake an epic quest to rid Sanctuary from the corrupting forces of the Burning Hells, players will explore diverse and perilous settings, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or aid them in other ways.

Diablo III was built from the ground up to leverage the full functionality of the Battle.net platform, which delivers powerful matchmaking and communication tools, allowing adventurers to seamlessly join forces for exciting cooperative play. Battle.net also provides a secure infrastructure for the Diablo III auction house, a feature-rich marketplace that Sanctuary’s heroes can use to trade their hard-earned treasures. Players will be able to buy and sell weapons, armor, and other valuable items in the auction house in exchange for in-game gold. Players will also have the option to receive real-world currency for auction house sales, which they can apply to their Battle.net Balance for the purchase of a variety of digital products through Battle.net, including Diablo III auction house items, or cash out through a third-party payment service such as PayPal™ in most regions. Further details related to the auction house will be announced in the coming weeks.

View
233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

193. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 11:42 Fibrocyte

Teddy wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:24:
Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:15:

Ehhh... it's equally funny to see people complaining about a persistent connection requirement given where we are with technology today.

I get it. Some people are poor. Fine. You probably shouldn't be spending your money on video games anyway.

It sure is a good thing you're here to tell everyone what they should or shouldn't be spending THEIR money on.

I see I rooted out one poor person.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

192. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 11:33 Agent.X7

Does your storefront actually stock PC games? Last time I went to a Gamestop (about 6 weeks ago) the PC section was in a small corner in the back of the store... I don't think it was even lit. Even though I buy most of my PC games digitally these days, I'd kill to have a nice quaint video game store to visit for those games that I do buy boxes for.

That's exactly why we aren't even starting with any PC games in stock. Everyone complains that nobody stocks them, but the majority seem to want to download them. I can't afford to order multiple copies of a new releases to have them sit on the shelf until they are marked down. Our PC section is mostly going to be peripherals - gaming mice and keyboards, headsets, etc.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

191. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 10:49 Undocumented Alien

Do you own any games you buy though?

Sure, I can fire up D1 & D2 at any point and play the entire game(s).

The vast majority of the games I purchased I can play at any point as there is no dependance on an online service.

190. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 10:40 Undocumented Alien

As expected you actually have nothing to contribute to the debate other than a personal attack.

And the Pot calls the Kettle Black. /facepalm as you would say.

I present facts, you present childish retorts.

You've presented ZERO facts about anything and then resort to childish swearing when you get flustered due to the fact that you present zero facts.

We get it, you are OK with a game being online only, go have fun with it. However, you are completing missing the boat that this franchise has always offered a completely disconnected offline SP experience, that's it's ROOTS, that what it is, that's how they $$$ to make D2, and with that D3. They are "/facepalming" the fans that got them where they are today. History makes you wrong, period. Move on.

189. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 07:48 Ventura

I'm still not sold. Persistent online, meh. Does that mean they're going to have a server that will come down for maintenance, much like with WoW and all the other MMOs?

On its own, persistent online I can handle, but being in Australia MMO maintenance usually means my wife and I can't play atall on Tuesday evening. I don't mind having to be online to be able to play, but if I'm online but can't because of something at their end, that's going to bite.

Also, can anyone recommend a Youtube gameplay video (or channel) that kicks much arse? I've looked around, but I haven't really found any that have seriously wowed me.

188. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 07:19 eRe4s3r

I own every game I bought, including origin ones, steam ones, etc.. NAS backup, virtual drive images, and cracks. While this is grey-zone illegal I don't really care, as long as any game I buy is forever MINE and can never again be taken from me, natural disasters involving my NAS and backup excluded.  

187. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 07:00 Dades

Krovven wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 03:32:
As expected you actually have nothing to contribute to the debate other than a personal attack

Oh, is that a scientific fact? This move is about preventing piracy and protecting Blizzards little auction house, it will do nothing to stop cheating. As ten people have explained now. You don't get to take the high ground now. You brought nothing as usual except some yelling and a bloated opinion based on a total lack of understanding. You can't google more links to a heavily biased developer PR interview to make yourself feel better now. Maybe you should have a better idea what's actually going on next time before you start running your mouth and calling other people whiners.

Since you dont give a fuck then you won't mind if the rest of us talk about your dumb little auction house fucking over singleplayer in Diablo 3.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2012, 07:27.

186. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 06:12 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 05:04:
PAnd what I absolutely will never do, is give a company money to rent a game. Because thats what buying Diablo 3 is, non-ownership of a game, you pay 100$ for not even the right to play your game at all times.
Do you own any games you buy though?

185. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 05:04 eRe4s3r

Principles, one either has them ... or one doesn't

As a gamer I play to have fun, not be be violated for the greater company good and holy profit deity repeatably and constantly whenever I want to have fun. And what I absolutely will never do, is give a company money to rent a game. Because thats what buying Diablo 3 is, non-ownership of a game, you pay 100$ for not even the right to play your game at all times.

184. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 04:22 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 03:39:
Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Paths of Exile, Grim Dawn...plenty to choose from.
I agree. Nice list of games from a quick glance.

183. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 03:39 Krovven

ASeven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:32:
FRE... ahem. Well, Path of Exile is an indie F2P ARPG with persistent online connection as well. Some in the PoE forum compare it to Diablo 2 and call it the update that never happened to D2. The passive skill tree is massive, and by massive I mean this.

Indeed. Paths of Exile looks promising. I'm curious to see what services/features/items will be sold, before I judge it to be p2w, I hope its tolerable. Otherwise the game itself looks very good.

Grim Dawn I need to see more of, it looks kinda bland compared to Paths of Exile, but gameplay changes constantly with these types of games. I also didnt see a beta signup for Grim Dawn.

Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Paths of Exile, Grim Dawn...plenty to choose from. I will be playing them all.

182. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 03:32 Krovven

Dades wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:28:
Stop trying to save face fanboy, you had your chance and demonstrated your complete ignorance. An ehow article, just hilarious.

As expected you actually have nothing to contribute to the debate other than a personal attack.

I present facts, you present childish retorts.

181. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 01:54 Prez

Grim Dawn does indeed look really promising. And by the Iron Lore dudes no less -- sweet! Thanks for the heads up.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

180. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 01:12 eunichron

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 00:38:
tron wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:47:
D3 is going to require online play, and they're doing it to make money and to try to prevent cheats/dupes/ect. it seems like in here you have to believe one or the other, and believe it vehemently at that. can anyone really blame Blizzard for wanting to make money? the only reason anyone starts a business is to make money. and some of their arguments in regards to requiring BNet play do make sense. of course they're not going to come out and say "we're doing it to make money", because it would be unprofessional.

i'm self-employed, and i tell all of my clients that i started my business because i wanted to help people, which is 100% true. but i obviously also want to make money. i don't need to say it, it's just a fact they we both (my clients and i) understand without saying it.

why do people have to become so angry when a business tries to find new ways to make money? and why do they feel the need to try and convince everyone else to come around to their way of thinking?

as for me, i'm eagerly awaiting the game and will glady pay $100 for the CE. i wish the game didn't require a BNet connection, but it does so i'll just have to live with it. all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. i lived with it on StarCraft 2, and yes, it was annoying when the servers were down when I wanted to play, but i managed to survive.

i don't see why all of this is such a big deal.

I agree. I am opening a video game store because I want to make money, and I don't want to do it working for anyone else anymore. But, I also give more for used games - and resell them for less - than Gamestop. Half of that is because I think it sucks that Gamestop gives you $15 for a new release you bought 2 days ago and then sells it for $55 used, but the other half is because I think that in the long run my ratio will make me more money because of repeat business and stealing customers from Gamestop.

I don't think anything businesses do is entirely altruistic, but for the most part it's not always evil either.

Will Blizzard make more money from the way they set up DIII? Possibly. Will it cut down on the aggravation of playing with cheaters? Possibly.

Will it incite riots on the intertubes? MOST DEFINITELY.

Does your storefront actually stock PC games? Last time I went to a Gamestop (about 6 weeks ago) the PC section was in a small corner in the back of the store... I don't think it was even lit. Even though I buy most of my PC games digitally these days, I'd kill to have a nice quaint video game store to visit for those games that I do buy boxes for.

Anyway, if their intention from the beginning was to include a real money auction house and an integrated SP/MP experience (for those without the beta that don't know, you can convert your SP game into an MP game at any time), then it follows logically that they would do everything possible to control dupers and item hackers, which then leads to always online DRM. Following that line of thinking all of their choices make sense. I don't fully support it, I've had issues with it in the beta (response/lag issues, which hopefully are just because it is beta), but it is a good game regardless.

179. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 00:38 Agent.X7

tron wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:47:
D3 is going to require online play, and they're doing it to make money and to try to prevent cheats/dupes/ect. it seems like in here you have to believe one or the other, and believe it vehemently at that. can anyone really blame Blizzard for wanting to make money? the only reason anyone starts a business is to make money. and some of their arguments in regards to requiring BNet play do make sense. of course they're not going to come out and say "we're doing it to make money", because it would be unprofessional.

i'm self-employed, and i tell all of my clients that i started my business because i wanted to help people, which is 100% true. but i obviously also want to make money. i don't need to say it, it's just a fact they we both (my clients and i) understand without saying it.

why do people have to become so angry when a business tries to find new ways to make money? and why do they feel the need to try and convince everyone else to come around to their way of thinking?

as for me, i'm eagerly awaiting the game and will glady pay $100 for the CE. i wish the game didn't require a BNet connection, but it does so i'll just have to live with it. all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. i lived with it on StarCraft 2, and yes, it was annoying when the servers were down when I wanted to play, but i managed to survive.

I agree. I am opening a video game store because I want to make money, and I don't want to do it working for anyone else anymore. But, I also give more for used games - and resell them for less - than Gamestop. Half of that is because I think it sucks that Gamestop gives you $15 for a new release you bought 2 days ago and then sells it for $55 used, but the other half is because I think that in the long run my ratio will make me more money because of repeat business and stealing customers from Gamestop.

I don't think anything businesses do is entirely altruistic, but for the most part it's not always evil either.

Will Blizzard make more money from the way they set up DIII? Possibly. Will it cut down on the aggravation of playing with cheaters? Possibly.

Will it incite riots on the intertubes? MOST DEFINITELY.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

178. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 16, 2012, 00:01 Bucky

wolve wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:56:
Bucky wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:54:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:46:
nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:07:
Yeaa!!!!! My amazon preorder is still locked, it looks like.

If you pre-order with Amazon before they show the same-day shipping, does it switch over to that? I've been thinking about pre-ordering it for a while, but not if they're going to deliver it a week late.

You can change the delivery options, though it still does not show release day delivery. My guess would be that because Amazon doesn't yet have the release date in their system the option is not available.

Two more months. Happy that we've got a date, sad that I've gotta wait until May.

Amazon updated their listings with the date, and I just switched my CE order over to free release date shipping since I have Prime.

Yikes. I had to wade through a lot of 'discussion', but thanks for that post. I was able to switch my CE preorder to release day shipping without a problem. I'm not a prime member, so for me release day shipping was $0.99. The horror.

Personally, I can't wait for the game. I took issue with it during the early betas primarily because of the connection issues, but they've gotten that sorted pretty well. The gameplay changes from Blizzard have gotten better with each patch, and I chatted with a lucky fellow who got to access some of the later areas before the waypoints got nuked--he said that the game ramps up fast; everything up to the Skeleton King is clearly meant as the starter area.

177. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 23:47 tron

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

176. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 23:37 Dades

LittleMe wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:17:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:28:
Are there any more singleplayer/LAN coop games like Din's Curse? Those are the kinds of games I am interested in.

I presume you've heard about http://www.grimdawn.com/ ? Not out yet. And if I were them, I'd wait at least 2 months after the D3 release.

Wow that looks really good. Any hint of when it'll be out? Titan Quest was such an underrated game, I'll play anything by those guys.

175. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 23:28 Dades

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:09:
Clearly, I have no clue what I'm talking about. Yet, here is a Blizzard employee stating all the same things myself and others here have stated regarding D3.

Stop trying to save face fanboy, you had your chance and demonstrated your complete ignorance. An ehow article, just hilarious.

I don't give a fuck if people are unable to play online only games. Don't buy the game. I really don't care.

Yeah, you don't care so hard that you've spent an hour and countless posts yelling at everyone about it.

174. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 23:20 ASeven

LittleMe wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:17:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:28:
Are there any more singleplayer/LAN coop games like Din's Curse? Those are the kinds of games I am interested in.

I presume you've heard about [url=[/url]/ ? Not out yet. And if I were them, I'd wait at least 2 months after the D3 release.

They released a new class video now.

http://youtu.be/XYI2DMPWpWg

233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo