Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III May 15th

Blizzard announces a May 15th release date for Diablo III, saying this is when the action/RPG sequel will be available at retail in many territories, and digitally in others. They have kicked off presales of the game on this page, offering the game in either form, as well as in a USD $99.99 alabaster-white retail Collector's Edition. They also offer a reminder that a free copy of the game is to be had for those who sign up for a World of Warcraft annual pass. Here's word:

In Diablo III, players take on the role of one of five heroic characters -- barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter -- and engage in pulse-pounding combat with endless legions of evil. As they undertake an epic quest to rid Sanctuary from the corrupting forces of the Burning Hells, players will explore diverse and perilous settings, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or aid them in other ways.

Diablo III was built from the ground up to leverage the full functionality of the Battle.net platform, which delivers powerful matchmaking and communication tools, allowing adventurers to seamlessly join forces for exciting cooperative play. Battle.net also provides a secure infrastructure for the Diablo III auction house, a feature-rich marketplace that Sanctuary’s heroes can use to trade their hard-earned treasures. Players will be able to buy and sell weapons, armor, and other valuable items in the auction house in exchange for in-game gold. Players will also have the option to receive real-world currency for auction house sales, which they can apply to their Battle.net Balance for the purchase of a variety of digital products through Battle.net, including Diablo III auction house items, or cash out through a third-party payment service such as PayPal™ in most regions. Further details related to the auction house will be announced in the coming weeks.

View
233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

133. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:56 Endo

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:20:

I'll admit ignorance here because I never played Diablo online. But let's look at Dungeon Defenders, which in some ways is very similar to Diablo. They have an online single-player and an offline single-player. You can mod, cheat, use trainers, etc to your heart's content in the "Open" mode (offline single-player and coop). But if you want to have your stats tracked, and want to play in sanctioned tournaments and events, coop or singleplayer, you need a completely separate set of characters and equipment, and as far as I've seen this works perfectly. I certainly won't accept that a cash-strapped indie with a fraction of the talent and resources of a mega-studio like Blizzard is capable of pulling off what Blizzard can't. Eliminating "They can't do it", which seems logical to do, leaves "They refuse to do it", which I find irksome to say the least.

I know this is a bit of a late reply, but I found it interesting you referenced Dungeon Defenders. Last time I played that game (several months ago) it was just as easy to hack in one mode as the other. All the relevant data was easily found unencrypted in RAM on the local machine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

132. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:50 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:20:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:12:
I just enjoy getting fanboys like good ol Krowen here, panties all tied up in a bunch. What cracks me up about it all is the same people who "boycott" Ubisoft or EA for DRM have no qualms with it when it's from their precious overrated Blizzard.

The only person defending this doesn't even have a fucking clue or basic understanding of what's going on, it's pretty damned funny.

Preeeeety much though it is Krowen, that's par for the course there.

131. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:43 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:09:
So where's Wildone? I'd like to get a statement from Mr "AHAHaHAHAHAHAHAH aHAHAHHAHA Q4 2014!!!!!! AHaHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHA H AH HAHAHAHA H"...

That was a pretty good impersonation... Do you do parties?

-Alamar

130. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:30 ASeven

I played the D3 beta, I played Path of Exile. I'll stick with PoE, far more fun than the latest D3 beta and while it's online only at least it has the right price for such a scheme, FUCKING FREE.

That PoE was compared to D3 in terms of being online only and not looking into the fact that PoE has the right price for many of us who are opposed to online DRM because it's FUCKING FREE is laughable. Anyone who plays PoE over D3 doesn't have double standards, we do have working brains though because we're able to distinguish FREE from paid.

129. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:20 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:12:
I just enjoy getting fanboys like good ol Krowen here, panties all tied up in a bunch. What cracks me up about it all is the same people who "boycott" Ubisoft or EA for DRM have no qualms with it when it's from their precious overrated Blizzard.

The only person defending this doesn't even have a fucking clue or basic understanding of what's going on, it's pretty damned funny.

128. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:18 Prez

Any duping or other forms of cheating that happen online will be due to bugs in their online mode code, just like every other online only game. Saying that we can't play offline because of cheating issues is complete BS. I've lost interest in this game because of that. Plenty of other stuff coming out this year anyway.

Sums me up nicely, too. So now I WILL shut up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

127. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:15 Cram

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 18:06:
Amazon updated their listings with the date, and I just switched my CE order over to free release date shipping since I have Prime.

I don't see anything on my order offering "release day shipping" yet...did you change yours to one day and there was no charge, or did it specifically list "release day shipping"?

Thanks!

Keep an eye on this post: Amazon Preorder Woes

As I am in Canada, and amazon.ca isn't selling the CE (yet), I can't get release date shipping anyway I, however, will not be caught dead buying from EB/Gamestop, where they remove the plastic and fiddle with god knows what inside the game.

126. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:15 PHJF

I never use them, don't visit those websites and won't be starting today just to prove a point.

You didn't Maphack?

You must be the only person on the planet.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

125. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:12 RollinThundr

Cram wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:58:
Closed realm hacking was and still is rampant. No, I don't know exactly how they do it but it most certainly helps that all the game assets are client side. Hell, you can still find a few people with "White Rings" in current ladder. I also find it amazing how goldfarm sites like d2legit and the others have "perfect" versions of every single item/unique/runeword mere hours into a new ladder season. Mere hours, hundreds if not thousands of perfects which are statistically improbable to ever find even one. In order for Diablo 3, in its current state, to have single player/complete offline mode they would have to redesign the entire game to save assets such as item generation/storage/monster generation client side. Giving hackers direct access to those assets opens up pandora's box for a repeat of Diablo 2 closed realms.

I am not saying there won't be cheats and dupes, but Blizzard has designed the game in such a way that they can see exactly what's happening where/when/how like they can in World of Warcraft. Hacks/cheats may possibly happen but they'll be almost immediately dealt with (as they have been in WoW), offenders banned and items deleted. With their dependence on a stable economy for the RMAH, you know Blizzard won't just sit there and let hacks run rampant. No, I don't think online only will prevent hacks, but I know Blizzard won't, as they did in Diablo 2, sit on their asses and do nothing about it. So, Blizzard has direct control of the entire game as it's online only now. A lot of people don't like that, and feel Blizzard has a noose around all our necks. I don't, I believe this will make my own gaming experience a lot better and as someone how does plan on selling items on the RMAH, a lot more secure. So, yes, it does seem RMAH is a major reason why this "DRM" is put in place and it is unfortunate it negatively effects players that have no intention of using the RMAH.

To a remark someone said earlier about "what will your defense be when people are selling hacked/duped SOJ's one week into release". Well, that would be a pretty blatant demonstration on how god damn stupid some people are, because anyone knowingly selling hacked/duped items on the RMAH would almost immediately have their CDKey/Battletag and all that stuff perma banned. Good waste of $60+ dollars for those idiots. I'll probably laugh.

Closed realm hacking will still be prevalent in Diablo 3 as well. Sure they may ban a few people here and there, especially with their real money AH but let's be realistic here. Hacking in a blizzard game isn't going to magically go away just due to no SP component and forced DRM.

124. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:10 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:45:
Will you shut up now? Especially since you are clearly incapable of using Google yourself.

You really have no clue how Diablo 2 worked, do you? Offline mode saved characters locally. Online "Open B.Net" saved characters locally. So yes, you could use the method you described to get dupes into Open B.Net.

"Online" characters, however, were stored remotely. Closed B.Net, which is what most people who played online used, didn't have any save file for you to copy/replace. Nor could you cross-play with offline or open B.Net chars to allow for trading. Closed B.Net was just that - closed.

And if your read the link I posted, farther down they talk about duping in straight multiplayer. Furthermore this is jus a single example that didn't even involve actual "hacks". I never use them, don't visit those websites and won't be starting today just to prove a point to idiots that don't want to accept the fact that Closed B.net had hacks too.

123. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:06 nin

Amazon updated their listings with the date, and I just switched my CE order over to free release date shipping since I have Prime.

I don't see anything on my order offering "release day shipping" yet...did you change yours to one day and there was no charge, or did it specifically list "release day shipping"?

Thanks!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

122. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 18:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Cram wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:58:
Closed realm hacking was and still is rampant. No, I don't know exactly how they do it but it most certainly helps that all the game assets are client side. Hell, you can still find a few people with "White Rings" in current ladder. I also find it amazing how goldfarm sites like d2legit and the others have "perfect" versions of every single item/unique/runeword mere hours into a new ladder season. Mere hours, hundreds if not thousands of perfects which are statistically improbable to ever find even one. In order for Diablo 3, in its current state, to have single player/complete offline mode they would have to redesign the entire game to save assets such as item generation/storage/monster generation client side. Giving hackers direct access to those assets opens up pandora's box for a repeat of Diablo 2 closed realms.

I am not saying there won't be cheats and dupes, but Blizzard has designed the game in such a way that they can see exactly what's happening where/when/how like they can in World of Warcraft. Hacks/cheats may possibly happen but they'll be almost immediately dealt with (as they have been in WoW), offenders banned and items deleted. With their dependence on a stable economy for the RMAH, you know Blizzard won't just sit there and let hacks run rampant. No, I don't think online only will prevent hacks, but I know Blizzard won't, as they did in Diablo 2, sit on their asses and do nothing about it. So, Blizzard has direct control of the entire game as it's online only now. A lot of people don't like that, and feel Blizzard has a noose around all our necks. I don't, I believe this will make my own gaming experience a lot better and as someone how does plan on selling items on the RMAH, a lot more secure.

None of that makes any sense at all when it comes to a separate offline and online mode. Online characters are stored online, offline characters are stored offline. There's no way to edit an online character, so nothing you do with an offline character matters at all.

Any duping or other forms of cheating that happen online will be due to bugs in their online mode code, just like every other online only game. Saying that we can't play offline because of cheating issues is complete BS. I've lost interest in this game because of that. Plenty of other stuff coming out this year anyway.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

121. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:58 Cram

I am not saying there won't be cheats and dupes, but Blizzard has designed the game in such a way that they can see exactly what's happening where/when/how like they can in World of Warcraft. Hacks/cheats may possibly happen but they'll be almost immediately dealt with (as they have been in WoW), offenders banned and items deleted. With their dependence on a stable economy for the RMAH, you know Blizzard won't just sit there and let hacks run rampant. No, I don't think online only will prevent hacks, but I know Blizzard won't, as they did in Diablo 2, sit on their asses and do nothing about it. So, Blizzard has direct control of the entire game as it's online only now. A lot of people don't like that, and feel Blizzard has a noose around all our necks. I don't, I believe this will make my own gaming experience a lot better and as someone how does plan on selling items on the RMAH, a lot more secure. So, yes, it does seem RMAH is a major reason why this "DRM" is put in place and it is unfortunate it negatively effects players that have no intention of using the RMAH.

To a remark someone said earlier about "what will your defense be when people are selling hacked/duped SOJ's one week into release". Well, that would be a pretty blatant demonstration on how god damn stupid some people are, because anyone knowingly selling hacked/duped items on the RMAH would almost immediately have their CDKey/Battletag and all that stuff perma banned. Good waste of $60+ dollars for those idiots. I'll probably laugh.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 18:04.

120. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:56 wolve

Bucky wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:54:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:46:
nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:07:
Yeaa!!!!! My amazon preorder is still locked, it looks like.

If you pre-order with Amazon before they show the same-day shipping, does it switch over to that? I've been thinking about pre-ordering it for a while, but not if they're going to deliver it a week late.

You can change the delivery options, though it still does not show release day delivery. My guess would be that because Amazon doesn't yet have the release date in their system the option is not available.

Two more months. Happy that we've got a date, sad that I've gotta wait until May.

119. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:51 Undocumented Alien

Will you shut up now? Especially since you are clearly incapable of using Google yourself.

From your link -

There are two separate game exploits for single and multiplayer game play.

I don't see where this shows a complete OFFLINE, Single Player character hurting B.NET.

So, no.

But please, I'd love to learn more.

118. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:49 Dades

http://www.ehow.com/way_5505246_diablo-duping-methods.htmlWill you shut up now? Especially since you are clearly incapable of using Google yourself.

That method you googled only works for open MP and SP. You should have probably read it first and have a basic understanding of whats being talked about before telling other people to shut up. There were several dupe methods that were all done completely online in closed. Most exploits involve problems with the netcode, not singleplayer components. They will not prevent cheating in this game, the demand is far too high. World of Warcraft has more strict security and a better architecture setup to prevent it and there have been everything from teleportation cheats to even old duping methods.

Putting the game online only is about preventing piracy and protecting their little auction house nest egg, everyone should stop beating around the bush with these other little technicalities.

Of course, I have mine made up as well, and will not be purchasing it.

I'm with you, I played the beta and it was nothing spectacular. Certainly not worth worrying about whether I'm going to be tethered every time I want to play. In a world becoming increasingly filled with mobiles and tablets you would think Blizzard would want to be at the head of the pack.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 17:56.

117. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:48 Fletch

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 14:19:
Online DRM = no sale.
+1

116. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:46 Prez

Recognizing that the "will you shut up now?" comment wasn't directed towards me (at least I hope), what you explain sounds more like an exploit that can easily be closed than a reason to eliminate offline play.

Again, I'm just bringing my opinion into the conversation here; it's obvious that Blizzard has made up its mind in this manner, so no amount of complaining or arguing is going to make a bit of difference. Of course, I have mine made up as well, and will not be purchasing it. I shouldn't think that any of this would preclude it from being debated however.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

115. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:45 Bhruic

You really have no clue how Diablo 2 worked, do you? Offline mode saved characters locally. Online "Open B.Net" saved characters locally. So yes, you could use the method you described to get dupes into Open B.Net.

"Online" characters, however, were stored remotely. Closed B.Net, which is what most people who played online used, didn't have any save file for you to copy/replace. Nor could you cross-play with offline or open B.Net chars to allow for trading. Closed B.Net was just that - closed.

114. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:35 Krovven

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:21:
Offline and Online was separated in D2. This is what caused the problem, thus why it's online only now.

Do you have evidence to back this? A link, article?

I'd be interested to see why a complete OFFLINE mode character messed up B.Net.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5505246_diablo-duping-methods.html

One simple method of duping involves using your save file for the character you want to dupe with. Create a backup of the save file you will be using and log in to your account. Then, you can either trade your items to a trustful friend or, according to EEggs.com, if you have two computers have one host the game you'll be dropping your stuff on. Log off of your account after trading or dropping and minimize the game. Move the backup save to your save folder and overwrite the save.

After you pull the game back up and log into your account, you should notice all of your items are back into your inventory. Pick up the items you dropped or get them from your friend, and you'll have double. Use the doubles to store them, sell them for cash or trade to people who need those items.

233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo