Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III May 15th

Blizzard announces a May 15th release date for Diablo III, saying this is when the action/RPG sequel will be available at retail in many territories, and digitally in others. They have kicked off presales of the game on this page, offering the game in either form, as well as in a USD $99.99 alabaster-white retail Collector's Edition. They also offer a reminder that a free copy of the game is to be had for those who sign up for a World of Warcraft annual pass. Here's word:

In Diablo III, players take on the role of one of five heroic characters -- barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter -- and engage in pulse-pounding combat with endless legions of evil. As they undertake an epic quest to rid Sanctuary from the corrupting forces of the Burning Hells, players will explore diverse and perilous settings, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or aid them in other ways.

Diablo III was built from the ground up to leverage the full functionality of the Battle.net platform, which delivers powerful matchmaking and communication tools, allowing adventurers to seamlessly join forces for exciting cooperative play. Battle.net also provides a secure infrastructure for the Diablo III auction house, a feature-rich marketplace that Sanctuary’s heroes can use to trade their hard-earned treasures. Players will be able to buy and sell weapons, armor, and other valuable items in the auction house in exchange for in-game gold. Players will also have the option to receive real-world currency for auction house sales, which they can apply to their Battle.net Balance for the purchase of a variety of digital products through Battle.net, including Diablo III auction house items, or cash out through a third-party payment service such as PayPal™ in most regions. Further details related to the auction house will be announced in the coming weeks.

View
233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

113. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:35 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:26:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:21:
Do you have evidence to back this? A link, article?

I'd be interested to see why a complete OFFLINE mode character messed up B.Net.

Well, a link on that might be a mite tough to dig up (I can't find one, anyway), but at least explain to me how a completely offline mode can in some way negatively affect the online multiplayer game. I'm not seeing it.

I think when most people make a claim like that it was because it was in OPEN B.net, where you could convert your SP characters into MP characters. This made Open B.net for Diablo 2 full of duped and hacked items. Some people just forget that there were two MP modes for Diablo 2, and that most people played on Open rather than Ladder (closed). Open was Blizzard's way of appeasing the dupers/item hackers from Diablo 1, just giving them their own multiplayer playground.

I played Diablo 2 Ladder almost exclusively, and duping was very rare, and they usually got squashed pretty quickly. Though, that is still no justification for online singleplayer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

112. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:26 Prez

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:21:

Well, a link on that might be a mite tough to dig up (I can't find one, anyway), but at least explain to me how a completely offline mode can in some way negatively affect the online multiplayer game. I'm not seeing it. It seems more likely to me that the online was going to suffer dupes and hacks whether or not there was an offline singleplayer mode at all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

111. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:21 Undocumented Alien

Offline and Online was separated in D2. This is what caused the problem, thus why it's online only now.

110. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:20 Prez

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:12:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:09:

I get what you're saying, but I have two problems with your reasoning:

1) Evidence suggests that other online-only games continue to suffer from immense cheating issues; removing an offline component will not fix the issue, and,

2) Whatever cheats people used offline could be rendered useless by simply separating the offline and online components.

See post #106. Offline and Online was separated in D2. This is what caused the problem, thus why it's online only now.

I'll admit ignorance here because I never played Diablo online. But let's look at Dungeon Defenders, which in some ways is very similar to Diablo. They have an online single-player and an offline single-player. You can mod, cheat, use trainers, etc to your heart's content in the "Open" mode (offline single-player and coop). But if you want to have your stats tracked, and want to play in sanctioned tournaments and events, coop or singleplayer, you need a completely separate set of characters and equipment, and as far as I've seen this works perfectly. I certainly won't accept that a cash-strapped indie with a fraction of the talent and resources of a mega-studio like Blizzard is capable of pulling off what Blizzard can't. Eliminating "They can't do it", which seems logical to do, leaves "They refuse to do it", which I find irksome to say the least.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 17:38.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

109. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:44:
Well I have to side with Krovven on this point, I don't think that's necessarily a fair assessment. It has an arbitrary online requirement (for whatever reason none of us will agree on) but it's not really designed like most MMOs in how players interact with it. I do agree with you in the sense that I'm not convinced the change will have their desired effects on anti-piracy and cheating in the long term. I think their biggest goal is protecting the RMAH integrity as opposed to anything else. I get that from a business perspective but from a players point of view it's just a reduction in functionality.

Therein lies the main problem with Diablo 3, the RMAH. I have no intention of using it, but millions of other players will, making billions(most likely) for Blizzard. So of course it led to the always online aspect, to try to coerce more people into using their new cash cow. It's also going to increase the hacking/duping 9000 times, in my opinion. I am interested to see how bad it gets, to be honest, although hopefully it doesn't lead to a temporary shutdown of the game in the first few weeks of release.

I'd blame Blizzard, but they are just copying the third party site nonsense from Diablo 2, where humanity's weaknesses really got exposed. Always online sucks, but all the reasoning can be seen in what happened to Diablo 2.

108. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:16 Undocumented Alien

You said:

Diablo 3 is primarily a coop/multiplayer game that is far better served by having a closed system to maintain more control to prevent cheating and duping.

The Diablo franchise, as history easily shows, is NOT ONLY a primarily coop/MP game. D1 was barely, D2 was a bit more. We have D2 because of the success of D1 (which WAS primarily an SP game).

Having the offline component in D2 was the primary cause of the cheats/dupes leading to what I'm sure was an absolute logistical nightmare for the support of the game.

How so? How does an offline character, which NEVER even sees B.NET, mess up an online system? IT'S OFFLINE.

107. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:12 Krovven

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:09:

1) Evidence suggests that other online-only games continue to suffer from immense cheating issues; removing an offline component will not fix the issue, and,

2) Whatever cheats people used offline could be rendered useless by simply separating the offline and online components.

See post #106. Offline and Online was separated in D2. This is what caused the problem, thus why it's online only now.

106. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:09 Krovven

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 17:04:
LOL and within a week when people are trading with SOJ's or whatever high end item gets duped to shit and back with Diablo 3

Nobody expects there to be zero cheating. But with it being online only, they will be able to track and punish those cheating and get rid of the items. In D2 they could not do that because items were being duped offline, then hacked into their multiplayer character. There was no way to control it at all.

105. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:09 Darks

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:57:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:53:
Sure, but Krowen wants you to believe that Blizz is making D3 an online only game because the game itself should only be MP (which is a pile of crap).

Well to be fair to him there's some truth to that (anti-cheat in particular) but there's also many ways it doesn't make sense. It's more accurate to say that it's to both make money and protect the game. It doesn't really matter which was stronger in their minds, the end result is the same.

I think if you give the beta a chance then you might change your mind but I totally get it if you want to skip the game. I was really frustrated with how they handled connection interruptions early in the beta but there have been some improvements in fault tolerance for the odd blips. There will be many other great games to play, D3 is far from the only big one being released this year.

I can tell you all right now why its has the persistant online connection. this game is all driven by that online market where you can spend money and sell items. They are doing it to keep people from duping items and making a killing off them. This was a huge issue on D2. Blame all those dupers and spammers for this. Blizz is only acting accordingly to those past problems.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

104. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:09 nin

So where's Wildone? I'd like to get a statement from Mr "AHAHaHAHAHAHAHAH aHAHAHHAHA Q4 2014!!!!!! AHaHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHA H AH HAHAHAHA H"...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

103. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:09 Prez

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:54:

I'm saying they are making the game online only to protect the integrity of the game (cheating/duping). After the massive mess D2 was in this regard, I support their decision fully. Having the offline component in D2 was the primary cause of the cheats/dupes leading to what I'm sure was an absolute logistical nightmare for the support of the game.

2) Whatever cheats people used offline could be rendered useless by simply separating the offline and online components. I'm not a programmer, but c'mon - how hard could it really be to create an isolated single-player mode given that the game is basically already completed? Hackers do it all the time with other games, and they didn't even make the game!

Understanding that point 2 would take at least some extra effort, given the amount of potential sales NOT having an offline component could cost Blizzard, it would certainly be worth it in my view. Sure, D3 will still stell by the boatload, but why be happy with 10 million sales if you could have had 11 million? Hypothetically speaking of course...

- Mahatma Gandhi

102. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:08 Acragas

Everyone here must have played a different Diablo II than I did. Everyone I knew always played a Realm character, which required a dedicated internet access to play, even when you were playing alone. And that was over 10 years ago. The version of Diablo 3 I'm buying will be very similar to the version of Diablo 2 I played then, except now my internet connection should be a lot more stable.  

101. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:04 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:54:

Sure, but Krowen wants you to believe that Blizz is making D3 an online only game because the game itself should only be MP (which is a pile of crap).

That's not what I'm saying at all. And just goes to show that you are only reading what you want to read, rather than what I'm saying.

I'm saying they are making the game online only to protect the integrity of the game (cheating/duping). After the massive mess D2 was in this regard, I support their decision fully. Having the offline component in D2 was the primary cause of the cheats/dupes leading to what I'm sure was an absolute logistical nightmare for the support of the game.

LOL and within a week when people are trading with SOJ's or whatever high end item gets duped to shit and back with Diablo 3, what other defense will you switch to?

100. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 17:01 PropheT

DrEvil wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:25:
Ask everyone who ordered Skyrim for the PC if they got their release-date delivery. Nope.

I buy games on release day on a pretty regular basis and I've had exactly 1 game in the last few years not come on release day (the one that missed was 1 day off, because of Fed Ex).

People seem to be missing the Diablo 3 has online features that work in single player as well, it's not like this is strictly a DRM scheme. Not that it matters, people will bitch and moan and then be posting three days after it comes out how they grudgingly bought it anyway.

99. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:54 Krovven

That's not what I'm saying at all. And just goes to show that you are only reading what you want to read, rather than what I'm saying.

98. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:50 Undocumented Alien

That the single player game, which still exists, requires a connection? I'm not seeing the substantial, or entire parts of that change...

Cute wording...

Should read:

"That the Offline single player mode of the game, which does not exist any longer, because it now requires a connection. I'm totally seeing the substantial and entire mode that was removed..."

Really.

97. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:50 Kastagir

DrEvil wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:25:

Ask everyone who ordered Skyrim for the PC if they got their release-date delivery. Nope.

I got my copy of Skyrim on 11/11/11 from Amazon Prime. I'm pretty sure that was the release date...

And I don't care about Diablo III. The always-on internet connection requirement is actually not what bothers me most about this or other Blizzard games - it's the ridiculous limit on the viewable area, rendering high resolution displays useless under the auspices of multiplayer balancing. I can understand their reasoning, even if I don't agree with it, for placing this restriction on multiplayer games, but enforcing it in single player makes no sense whatsoever.

96. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:39 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:32:
It's not a substantial change.

Right, taking away an entire mode is not a substantial change... Dammit Gump, your a genius!

Thanks for making my point that peoples issue with this is almost entirely due to their own mindset of how things should be and their resistance to change

Yeah... their own mindset... right...

How would changing the name to "World of Diablo" would change sweet fuck all other than your narrow minded perception? Name change and suddenly all the features make sense to you? /facepalm

Hmmm.. lets see Gump, worked pretty well for WarCraft... went from a SP/MP to an online only model... and they changed it to... wait for it.... here it comes... WORLD OF WARCRAFT. /facepalm? Yeah... have some.

You're not really calling Warcraft IiI to WoW synonymous to Diablo 2 to 3, while at the same time calling someone retarded (Gump)?

Really?

Also, remind me what substantial 'entire mode' change there was again? That the single player game, which still exists, requires a connection? I'm not seeing the substantial, or entire parts of that change...

-Alamar

95. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:25 DrEvil

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:48:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:46:
nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:07:
Yeaa!!!!! My amazon preorder is still locked, it looks like.

If you pre-order with Amazon before they show the same-day shipping, does it switch over to that? I've been thinking about pre-ordering it for a while, but not if they're going to deliver it a week late.

I have Prime, so I should get release date delivery, I believe.

When I called customer support, they had no explanation for this and suggested it got lost so were sending me another. I got both several days later.

This was despite Amazon emailing everyone saying they shipped the item the day before release.

I'm currently not planning on buying this anyway though since I'm not much into multiplayer games, and this clearly is no longer a single-player game.

94. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:19 Bhruic

the game HAS TO HAVE PERSISTANT ONLINE, so they can counter Duping and other problems that ran rampant in Diablo 2

That's been the go-to excuse for awhile now, but look at how common and rampant cheating is in "online only" games. If going online only hasn't solved that problem, then not making it online only isn't going to compromise anything.

233 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo