Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 17, 2012, 13:09 m0deth

Don't be so depressed, it isn't the end of laptops. It's the end of the average Joe buying a laptop for simple needs because that segment was finally addressed by engineers vs. marketers. This is actually good. It created a new sub market, and once the hype, marketing, false prophets, spaghetti monster hunters, etc. all calms down,the laptops will be sitting there ready to do some work/high end gaming on. The same goes for desktops, just ramp the power curve up to NASCAR levels.

NONE of any of these items: laptops, smartphones, netbooks, tablets....NONE is a desktop killer, ask Newegg, they will vouch for that.

Society is still adapting to this crap, sooner or later, tablets will be a regular life tool, nobody will give crap one about who made it, as after everyone uses one, and they hit their functional limits...it will all be old news. My guess is though, they'd also still be able to sit down to their sweet custom rig and tear up in Crysis IX or whatever.(..yes but, will it run Crysis IX?) - tell me you can't envision that line!

I think that's something to at least grin over, no?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2012, 11:04 Verno

Tablets are basically for web browsing in everything except niche markets like imaging, CNC and medical industries. Most of the apps people use on them are glorified websites and few tablets make decent e-readers.

Most people don't need even 1/10th of the functionality a modern computer provides, its really depressing. We've come all this way and everyone wants to regress so they can spam their kids photos on facebook while sitting on the train. Oh well, such is life.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 16, 2012, 02:07 xXBatmanXx

meh, I have a tablet and I have a laptop.

I use them bolth since each has their uses....don't EVER see a tablet replacing a laptop. It just won't.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 20:14 Cutter

Well if you have to carry around your tablet, it's seperate keyboard, seperate mouse, and stand in a bag, pull it all out and set it all up, why not just use a laptop? Pull it out, open it up and off you go - and you've got a bigger screen to boot.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 20:07 Dmitri_M

The touch interface will never be practical for real work purposes. The mouse is simply more efficient.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 16:26 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 14:21:
Tablets are toys, laptops are for real work and never the twain shall meet. Laptops aren't going anywhere.

Funny, I remember some hybrid tablet stuff that Fujitsu was working on about five years ago, but the problem at that time was that they were perceived as "only" being for "real work".

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 14:46 Kitkoan

Hybrid tablets like the Asus Transformer will easily take over laptops and soon. For the average user a tablet has enough power. The only thing holding them back is a real OS made for a tablet but Microsoft and Ubuntu are already finishing this up. As always, its just Apple that is behind in the times in tech. But don't worry, Apple will put on some gaudy flashy adds when they finally find out who they will rip off and claim they were first to do it and do it right. Like when they ripped of the Sony Vaio to make the Air, LG Prada to make the iPhone and the Android tablets made in 2009 to make the iPad.  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 14:21 Cutter

Tablets are toys, laptops are for real work and never the twain shall meet. Laptops aren't going anywhere.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 12:59 Panickd

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:25:
Tablets are not replacing laptops anytime soon.
1. First off, processors are still quite slow in tablets and they have very limited storage.
2. 3G and 4G connections are still quite expensive with limits on monthly downloads.
3. A bluetooth keyboard is a cumbersome thing to carry with you.

You cannot type a paper on a tablet as many college students have found.

These are all solvable obstacles not immovable roadblocks. Just as the melding of the cellphone and PDA was inevitable so too is the melding of laptops and tablets. No doubt things will go through several iterations but it's going to happen eventually. The Macbook Air and the Ultrabooks are the beginning of the process.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 11:09 Enahs

I agree, right now.

But, tablets have been around for a LONG time, not just the iPad. And they have had keyboards.

Windows 8 is deigned to work on tablets as well, so it could change a lot of things.

And if keyboards like this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e722/) work well, they could become better and better and be incorporated directly into the tablets.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 15, 2012, 10:25 Ozmodan

Tablets are not replacing laptops anytime soon.
1. First off, processors are still quite slow in tablets and they have very limited storage.
2. 3G and 4G connections are still quite expensive with limits on monthly downloads.
3. A bluetooth keyboard is a cumbersome thing to carry with you.

You cannot type a paper on a tablet as many college students have found.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo