Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow

The Baldur's Gate Website that recently surfaced now features a countdown, presumably related to the hope "to announce something soon" expressed by former BioWare designer Trent Oster, co-founder of Beamdog, who own the website. The countdown looks like it will hit zero around noon EDT tomorrow, so hopefully we'll learn more about plans for the RPG series then.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:37 Kastagir

Bhruic wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:25:
Hmm, I wonder how extensive the "improvements" are? Are they just updating the engine? Or are the updating the ruleset as well? I would be a lot less interested if they forced in 4th edition rules.
It will use 2nd edition ruleset, but will allow BG2 functionality (kits, etc.) in BG1, as Tutu and BGT do. It seems they'll also be adding new content, created by the same people that created BG2 so it will hopefully be appropriate and not contrived.

Edit: first screenshots will show up next week.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 17:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:25 Bhruic

Hmm, I wonder how extensive the "improvements" are? Are they just updating the engine? Or are the updating the ruleset as well? I would be a lot less interested if they forced in 4th edition rules.  

40. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:15 eRe4s3r

I would argue that the amount of people who have problems running BG2/BG1 despite the community patches for it is rather small (besides, most graphic issues can be fixed by running the game in windowed mode). And then there is GEMRB as well which while not yet finished will fix all these OS compatibility issues.

So not really sure what to make of this. But you are right that there's few studios that could handle BG3... but thats true for many games.

A improving of BG1/BG2 is a huge undertaking, so i don't think this'll even come close to a modded BG1 and BG2 given how many mods and how much effort there was put into fixing these games.

39. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:10 nin

And I don't want Bioware anywhere near a cherished IP like Baldur's Gate.

It's amazing how far Bio has strayed, when that sentence sums up their current output.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:09 Kastagir

From the website:

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™

March 15, 2012 - Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since. Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers. Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements. The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced.

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ visit www.baldursgate.com.

37. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:06 Kastagir

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 16:02:
Did not realize.. but enough? I don't want remakes, I want BG3. Nothing could ever make we want to replay the story of BG1 and BG2 without at least 6 dozen mods. And if its different story and characters then it ain't a remake. So i am not really hyped for this ;p

I can certainly understand this sentiment, but given the trends in recent CRPG development, is there any developer out there with the funds to develop a game of this scale that you'd actually trust to create a third Baldur's Gate title? Many people, myself included, would love to play BG1 and BG2 again, but the ancient quality of the Infinity Engine makes that difficult for some people. Preferring a new game is understandable, but not very realistic, especially when you're talking about a small developer that doesn't make big games of this type. Really, nobody does anymore - except for CDProjekt and Bethesda, but they have their own franchises to work on. And I don't want Bioware anywhere near a cherished IP like Baldur's Gate.

36. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 16:02 eRe4s3r

Did not realize.. but enough? I don't want remakes, I want BG3. Nothing could ever make we want to replay the story of BG1 and BG2 without at least 6 dozen mods. And if its different story and characters then it ain't a remake. So i am not really hyped for this ;p But that said, the announcement is really cloudy.... if its a remake of BG style gameplay but with new characters and story.. count me in ;p  

35. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:55 nin

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 15:49:
Can you call someone remaking games a game developer? What are they developing that was not already developed for them?

You realize Trent Oster worked on BG originally, right? Is that enough for ya?

34. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:49 eRe4s3r

Can you call someone remaking games a game developer? What are they developing that was not already developed for them?  

33. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:41 avianflu

I am inclined to feel bad for them since it is a small developer  

32. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:38 nin

Allright! Who cast "slow"? Fess up!

31. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:26 eRe4s3r

there's fail thats OK because you can't expect it

there's fail thats hilarious because you caused it yourself and could laugh about it

and then there's the special kind of moronic fail that only total idiots ever manage, thats when you announce an announcement and your server crashes on announcement. Fracking, noobs.

(edit for language, this doesn't warrant that kind of language ,p)

30. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:16 David

direct link to announcement in the Beamdog newsletter:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3b6c0e6ef0c1deb880f420476&id=6ae2f577cd

29. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:14 David

Just-released newsletter on Beamdog web site has announcement for Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, coming Summer 2012. No details of what platforms (or any other details, for that matter).  

28. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:13 Blackhawk

Heh. I have yet to see a countdown like that that didn't end up with a server crash.  

27. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:05 Kastagir

Timer reached zero and nothing happened. When I tried to reload the page, I get a 500 Server Error as well. Still trying...nothing.

Dumb. Asses.

Gamebanshee reports that it is the BG Enhanced Edition.

26. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 15:01 Krovven

What a fantastic reveal...12noon PST and I check to see what the teaser was about...and Im greeted with a 500 Server Error. Way to go!

25. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 13:47 avianflu

The rumor is that it is an ipad port  

24. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 10:08 eRe4s3r

it still is 4 hours and 50 minutes away  

23. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 10:04 InBlack

So what is it damnit?? There is just a big skull on the main page and the script isnt running on my work computer...  

I have a nifty blue line!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo