Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Maybe Video Game Reviewers Are Con Men. Maybe..

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 19:18 Prez

PHJF wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 14:16:
Probably because humans aren't all the unique snow flakes you imagine. It's really easy to find someone who writes well and shares most of your tastes in gaming.

Yahtzee!

Totally agree. In fact, I find my favorite reviewers by reading reviews of games I've already played and seeing which reviewers write good reviews and share my feelings for the game. Helps a lot in figuring out who you can listen to later on.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 17:19 PHJF

Back in the 80's and early 90's I used to trust most game reviews from CGW.

Until they came along and glorified Black & White

At least they had the decency to retract their undue praise after the fact.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 16:24 Dmitri_M

Enahs wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 13:21:
Why do people care about game reviews?

It's nice having someone to debate games with, even if it's a reviewer, and the debate is taking place inside your head while the wife is sleeping\while you're alone in mom's basement.

11. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 16:24 Shok

Back in the 80's and early 90's I used to trust most game reviews from CGW. They had specific reviewers who specialized in different game genres and it was like an old friend coming back month after month telling you about a new game and whether it was worth buying. Alan Emrich used to review wargames and strategy games and he loved including tables of unit values and other game details. I still have a page from his review of the original Warlords that I keep with the manual. The internet eventually killed off CGW but at that point it was in the pockets of the advertisers anyway.

EDIT: by the way, CGW museum is great for reading classic game reviews.

10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 14:16 PHJF

Probably because humans aren't all the unique snow flakes you imagine. It's really easy to find someone who writes well and shares most of your tastes in gaming.

Yahtzee!

9. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 14:13 Verno

Probably because humans aren't all the unique snow flakes you imagine. It's really easy to find someone who writes well and shares most of your tastes in gaming. Demos aren't as prevalent as they used to be either and frequently come in the form of dumb preorder promotions. I don't depend on game reviewers but I value some of their opinions. In the absence of a demo or questionable audience reception they can be very helpful.

The larger sites? Not so much. IGN and etc are essentially industry shills. I tend to gravitate towards smaller review sources and like minded gamers.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 13:54 eRe4s3r

The demo of broccoli I tried installed just fine but the uninstall was problematic..... also i am no real fan of the DRM it has, apparently one can only use it once.  

7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 13:21 Enahs

Game demo or you get nuttin' from me.

I like it, I buy it, I do not like it, I do not buy it. Pretty damn simple.

I really like broccoli, not everybody does. Just because you do or do not like a game does not mean I will or will not.

All of these "problems" are solved with demos!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 13:04 Zoom

9 really makes no sense. Many of the best games these last years come from eastern Europe or Russia, and are not at all pro-american. Or american games, like Skyrim or Deus Ex: HR that are either apolitical or not related at all with the situation. The very few games that i can think of (Call of Duty ? Homefront ?) are very far from the best, and dont get rave reviews...  

5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 12:02 PHJF

Completely false, everyone knows that War, War never changes.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 11:01 InBlack

All I have to say is this. Duh.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 10:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Lokust wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 10:14:
Maybe Kotaku has real content. Maybe.

Naaahhh
Damn you almost had me. Almost...

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 Lokust

Maybe Kotaku has real content. Maybe.

Naaahhh

1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 JaguarUSF

I'll respond to the Kokatu post.
TRUE 1. Video game publishers see game reviewers as marketing tools.

TRUE 2. Publishers sometimes allow positive reviews to be published before negative ones.

TRUE (not for me) 3. Publishers sometimes require game reviewers to not mention certain plot or technical details in exchange for being furnished with an advance review copy.

VERY TRUE (why I don't have ads) 4. Publishers might not want to advertise on an outlet that slams their games.

TRUE FOR CRAPPY WRITERS THAT HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING REVIEWS 5. Critics are often "at a loss for insightful ways of describing what they found objectionable" about a game they don't like.

DEFINE "BANAL" 6. Reviews are banal checklists.

I AM BIASED. I LIKE THINGS I LIKE AND HATE THINGS I HATE 7. Game reviewers may not know that they're biased, but "if they knew they were biased, would they tell us?"

TRUE 8. All these positive reviews from biased reviewers lead the public into accidentally playing bad games.

? 9. Legislators are happy when this mess results in pro-American games topping the charts.

? 10. "War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war becomes routine."

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo