Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has news that free weekend trials for the Star Wars MMORPG will be offered starting Thursday:

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Weekend Pass Free* Trial. Now for a limited time, you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players for free! With the Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial, individuals who don’t already have a previously-active Star Wars: The Old Republic account will be allowed to see a portion of what the game has to offer, free of charge, with no payment method required, for up to four days!

Individuals who take part in the Weekend Pass will be able to experience the opening adventures of each of the eight character classes, exploring both their Origin World and their faction’s Capital World. Additionally, Weekend Pass players will have the chance to face off against other players in PvP Warzones, or join up with friends and play through a couple of early faction-specific Flashpoints in the game, The Esseles and The Black Talon.

The Weekend Pass Free Trial opens Thursday, March 15th, 12:01AM CT / 5:01AM GMT and ends on Monday, March 19th at 2:00AM CT / 7:00AM GMT. To learn more, visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/weekendpass and come back on March 15th to create your account, download the game, and begin your free trial! Have questions? Visit the Weekend Pass FAQ.

Be sure to check back to www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, as well as our Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates!

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 15:14 Verno

elefunk wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 09:40:
Brataccas wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 02:08:
elefunk wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 23:41:
Er, no, you didn't call it. The game has been out for roughly 3 months now, and it's in fact continually *gained* paid subscribers.

Mmmhmm. The server population trend numbers don't support you.

The subscriber numbers do. In a month, they went from 1.7 million subscribers where most were still in their free trial, to 1.7 million subscribers were the vast majority are now paid. That is an increase.

link

That just looks like a little press blurb very light on details. I get what you're saying, its not doom and gloom like people are making out but they aren't exactly candid about current churn. I can't really see this increasing as the casual market continues to move toward mobile crap and the core market doesn't appear too satisfied by it anymore.

I don't think its even the game itself so much as it is people are burnt out on the traditional MMO formula.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 10:24 nin

The subscriber numbers do. In a month, they went from 1.7 million subscribers where most were still in their free trial, to 1.7 million subscribers were the vast majority are now paid. That is an increase.

All that means is that people played more than 30 days. Whoo?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 09:40 elefunk

Brataccas wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 02:08:
Er, no, you didn't call it. The game has been out for roughly 3 months now, and it's in fact continually *gained* paid subscribers.

link

51. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 09:31 Steelcamp

WAIT! Are we forgeting something? IT'S STAR WARS......STAR WARS!
I f'ing love it!!!

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

50. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 08:53 Sempai

Now that i have a 50 Bounty Hunter(Powertech)i'm actually enjoying the game more now than i was leveling up.
The game is beyond frustrating at times due to Bioware being complete dipshits, but..
The game has a solid base, i enjoy the combat more than i do wow at this point. Level a PT to 30 and tell me you won't have just a little bit of fun jet charging into the fray and grappling those pesky republicans to you then giving them a quality uppercut to the chin.

1.2 can't come soon enough, but running FP's like KUS are a real treat.
I've also finally settled in with a decent guild with a good bunch of older folks who are not only enjoyable to be around, but are solid players.
The hardest thing for me has been leaving my guild of 5yrs from WoW and being alone in a new MMO for so long, it really does make a world of difference.

Besides Companions, some Datacrons(matrix shards)and Space Combat, Swtor doesn't offer much new at all in the genre, but what they do have is pretty good stuff so far.

Is it the WoW killer so many hoped for? No.

My opinion, take it with a tablespoon of Cinnamon.

49. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 02:49 Dev

TangledThorns wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 15:36:
The game is still $60, right? I'm gonna hold out till the price decreases.
No, its on sale right now in the origin "storewide 50% off sale" that isn't storewide.
Link
Anyway its $50 at the moment, a little over 10% sale.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2012, 04:48.

48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 02:08 Brataccas

47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 01:25 Asmo

Ventura wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:18:
I'm almost shocked, I actually expected more positivity around here.

A mate set up a 7-day trial account for me, and I'm actually enjoying it. Ok, so I've only played for about 3 hours, but it's a Star Wars fan's wet dream.

Fair enough, I might be sick of it in another few days though.

Oh, and it's already only $58 from BigW out here in Australia. That's pretty cheap, so soon.

The problem I've found with the game is that they spent so much time putting in full voice overs they forgot a significant portion of the game, ie. the fun part...

I think TOR (and many other new MMO's) are running in to a systemic problem though. When WoW (or in my case UO) came out, we were all brand new and shiny to the genre. WoW visually blew EQ1 away (despite the cartoony look and feel), and us nubs that hadn't been in beta forever didn't just grind out the first 10 levels in an hour. It took me over a week to get to level 20 in vanilla purely because I was learning everything, trying out crafting, finding cool stuff to look at etc.

Nowadays, I understand what I have to do even if I'm not intimately familiar with the game. In beta, I got to lvl 10 in an hour and a half. In live, that barely took an hour because I knew exactly where I had to go and what quests sat together, that I could short cut to the station and level up to 4 just by talking to trainers, what gear I could get early on etc.

Most MMO's players by now are not new hands, and a lot of people turn on subtitles so you can bypass waiting for the voice over... The grand adventure of your class quest is interspersed with boring fedex/kill x/get x missions, and that is not fresh in the slightest. The world is confined and not particularly worth exploring (compare to SWG which featured huge tracts of land to roam around in for example). Raid content is a joke even on the higher difficulties and gear/cash/vehicles/epic driving etc are all so easy to get it's not funny. Just grinding all the dailies gives you ~200+k credits. One of my guildies quit with over 25 million and he wasn't a full time nut, just did the dailies every day and sold off a few BOE rewards.

All in all, BW/EA really jumped the shark with this game. It might appeal to casuals for a while but short of a major content injection, I see it turning in to an "also ran".

Hell, I was playing Realm of the Mad God until ME3 demo came out with a month of sub left... That says a lot about the attractiveness of SWTOR...

46. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 14, 2012, 00:49 Ventura

It's fun, but as soon as I topped out my sithsorc I didn't have much interest to play after the first couple of weeks.

Yeah I figured that was the gist of it. Pretty much nicely explains why I've been on again/off again on MMOs for years now.

I'll stick with my 7-day trial, and then probably never touch the game again once it expires.

45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 23:41 elefunk

Brataccas wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:03:
Brataccas wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:48:
(...) I suspect subscriber numbers will drop precipitously around the three month mark.

Did I call it or did I call it?

44. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Ventura wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:18:

A mate set up a 7-day trial account for me, and I'm actually enjoying it. Ok, so I've only played for about 3 hours, but it's a Star Wars fan's wet dream.
To be honest the game has a lot of potential, but comes up way, way too short. They should have made KOTOR3 instead of a mmo, which is really what it feels like. It's fun, but as soon as I topped out my sithsorc I didn't have much interest to play after the first couple of weeks.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

43. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:31 nin

Ant, I thought you didn't have room for a 30 gig download?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42. Almost everything wrong... Mar 13, 2012, 22:30 JohnBirshire

They've done almost everything wrong with this game. The graphics are several years behind *grass literally grows as I'm running towards it, and that's with max settings*, the gameplay is "clunky", there is waaaayyy too much running as they felt the need to put in vast expanses of nothing *each containing two or three missions*, casual players struggle profusely with dieing constantly while leveling and quit *if you can't keep the casuals, your game is going to be a small niche at best*, the zones are so segregated you rarely ever see the opposing factions on PvP servers while leveling, the questing is ridiculously monotonous with alts, etc etc etc. After 100's of millions of dollars and years of hype, this game is going to go down as an epic flop.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 22:54.

41. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:27 Ant

Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:25:
Ant wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:19:
Ugh, bad timing for me. I hope they do more!

Got spare guest passes if you want one, 7 days vs the 3 day weekend deal, and you use it when you like.
Sure. Send it to me ant @ zimage dot com.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:25 Teddy

Ant wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:19:

Got spare guest passes if you want one, 7 days vs the 3 day weekend deal, and you use it when you like.

39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:19 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:18 Ventura

Fair enough, I might be sick of it in another few days though.

Oh, and it's already only $58 from BigW out here in Australia. That's pretty cheap, so soon.

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 21:48 ASeven

eunichron wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 20:48:
ASeven wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 20:39:
nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:45:
ASeven wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:34:
I've got a little feeling SWTOR will be the new ET Brink.

Fixed!

This ET.

Yeah, but SW:TOR is actually playable.

True, but if SWTOR fails it will be a bigger money sink than ET ever was comparatively.

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 21:03 Brataccas

Brataccas wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 16:48:
(...) I suspect subscriber numbers will drop precipitously around the three month mark.

Did I call it or did I call it?

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 20:48 eunichron

ASeven wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 20:39:
nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:45:
ASeven wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:34:
I've got a little feeling SWTOR will be the new ET Brink.

Fixed!

This ET.

Yeah, but SW:TOR is actually playable.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo