Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning

Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions Kickstarter Campaign will conclude today, offering the last chance to earn supporter rewards (thanks nin). They passed the $3 million plateau last night, so the game's $400,000 budget seems pretty covered. In other Kickstarter news, the promised Wasteland 2 by inXile entertainment Kickstarter Campaign is now underway to fund the $900,000 budget for the post-apocalyptic RPG sequel. They offer their own set of supporter rewards, and the following outline of the project:

For Wasteland 2, we’re getting the band back together again!. Brian Fargo who Executive Produced both Wasteland and Fallout will be heading the team. Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole—the original game’s primary designers—are coming back to put the project together, and we’re rounding up as many of the other designers, like Ken St. Andre, as we can. On top of that, we’ll have music by Mike Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 fame. The storyline for Wasteland 2 was written by Jason Anderson who was the co-creator of Fallout. We have also enlisted the help of the amazing concept artist, Andree Wallin to help craft the Wasteland 2 world.

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 16, 2012, 19:29 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 18:03:
At first I was of the opinion that all of the 2.5k, 5k, and 10k slots are just being claimed by trolls and hoaxers. Then I though about it and realized that if money were no object, I'd be donating $10k to half of the kickstart projects (the ones reviving long-lost classic properties/genres anyway) out there. Surely there are some filthy rich classic game fans out there.

In the first backer-only video it ends with Tim mentioning people with payment issues. I wonder how many of them are the big rewards paid with maxed/expired/fraudulent cards.

I wonder if they'll release a number for the actual funds obtained when all that is sorted out. Hopefully it won't be a huge reduction.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 16, 2012, 18:03 Prez

At first I was of the opinion that all of the 2.5k, 5k, and 10k slots are just being claimed by trolls and hoaxers. Then I though about it and realized that if money were no object, I'd be donating $10k to half of the kickstart projects (the ones reviving long-lost classic properties/genres anyway) out there. Surely there are some filthy rich classic game fans out there.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

94. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 15, 2012, 21:30 Mr. Tact

LOL - all 8 of the $10,000 slots were taken, so they added 8 more slots.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

93. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 15, 2012, 01:39 Dev

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 23:50:
Dev, thanks for the reminder. I'm in for the sweet spot ($100 pledge). I highly doubt I will change my mind but it is good to know I have the option. So awesome that it will likely reach the 900k goal in less than forty eight hours. Can't wait for the beta though that is most likely a year away at best. Yesterday was a great news day for me. GW2, Wasteland 2, and DF Adventure funded.
NP. Incidentally, for international backers, if you ever back a project that says "add $15 for international shipping" such as this wasteland 2 one, thats one way to add the money before it ends if you forget to add initially. As long as the amount is changed before the kickstarter ends, no harm no foul. People can adjust as they please.
But if someone forgets and waits until after it ends, the people behind the kickstarter may have to manually get an additional payment and it causes them to spend extra time and money on trying to fix that kinda thing.

Also, whats this about DF adventure!?
Edit:
Ohh doh you mean double fine adventure game. Somehow my brain thought of dwarf fortress.

92. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 23:50 Paranoid Jack

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 11:23:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 09:05:
WoW, over half a million in under 24 hours. Nice. Though I can't decide what tier to go for... so I have been waiting since yesterday afternoon. I'll go at least 75 but maybe the 100 tier would be the sweet spot for me since I like to keep old game boxes.
Remember that after you back, you can click MANAGE PLEDGE and adjust it up or down at any time until the kickstarter actually ends. So go for $75 now, but increase to $100 or more on the last day if you want You don't actually get charged until the kickstarter ends (and then only if it meets its goal). Amazon will put a temporary authorization hold on the card to make sure you have the credit available which won't matter if you use a credit card (using a debit card means that money is unavailable to use until the hold expires, but its not actually paid out until its actually charged at whatever the final amount you decide on)

Dev, thanks for the reminder. I'm in for the sweet spot ($100 pledge). I highly doubt I will change my mind but it is good to know I have the option. So awesome that it will likely reach the 900k goal in less than forty eight hours. Can't wait for the beta though that is most likely a year away at best. Yesterday was a great news day for me. GW2, Wasteland 2, and DF Adventure funded.

91. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 18:59 Prez

Oh. I don't know about all that. I was suggesting you give them $150 bucks and give me the $50 package. And curse you for calling me out on my Ham-fistedness. Shakefist  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

90. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 18:45 nin

Your ham handed attempts at making your steam library even larger aside ( ), I'm saying if I take the $100 option, I don't get a $100 box and a $50 box, do I? I assumed if you went with the $100, you didn't get the $50 box.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

89. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 18:38 Prez

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 18:06:

I assumed it was a one or the other type deal?

Jeez dude, don't be selfish - I'm letting you keep the more expensive one for yourself!

- Mahatma Gandhi

88. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 18:06 nin

I assumed it was a one or the other type deal?

87. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 17:29 Prez

nin wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 16:24:

I can't decide if I want the $50 or $100 box...

I'll make it easy - buy the $100 package for yourself and give me the $50 one. Simple!

- Mahatma Gandhi

86. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 16:24 nin

I can't decide if I want the $50 or $100 box...

85. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 16:11 Mr. Tact

Crazy. 67 of 100 $1,000 slots, gone. 4 of 10 $5,000 slots, gone. 6 of 8 $10,000 slots, gone. However, no seems to care about the $2,500 slots, none of those taken yet.  

84. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 15:19 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 15:12:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 03:02:
nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:03:
And we're live!
I didn't get a chance to watch it, anyone have a quick summary?
From what I saw of it, just the DF staff acting silly and happy. Announcement of $210,000 (IIRC) behind the scenes donations -- slightly amusing, no big deal to miss it.

SHOE ON HEAD!
SHOE ON HEAD!
SHOE ON HEAD!

83. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 15:12 Mr. Tact

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 03:02:
And we're live!
From what I saw of it, just the DF staff acting silly and happy. Announcement of $210,000 (IIRC) behind the scenes donations -- slightly amusing, no big deal to miss it.

82. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 Dev

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 09:05:
WoW, over half a million in under 24 hours. Nice. Though I can't decide what tier to go for... so I have been waiting since yesterday afternoon. I'll go at least 75 but maybe the 100 tier would be the sweet spot for me since I like to keep old game boxes.
Remember that after you back, you can click MANAGE PLEDGE and adjust it up or down at any time until the kickstarter actually ends. So go for $75 now, but increase to $100 or more on the last day if you want You don't actually get charged until the kickstarter ends (and then only if it meets its goal). Amazon will put a temporary authorization hold on the card to make sure you have the credit available which won't matter if you use a credit card (using a debit card means that money is unavailable to use until the hold expires, but its not actually paid out until its actually charged at whatever the final amount you decide on)

81. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 09:05 Paranoid Jack

On a side note... I'm betting there are a few dozen developers eyeing this option now. And we will soon see a few more throwing their hats into the ring. Can't wait to see what they decide to create or resurrect.

80. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 05:25 Dmitri_M

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:55:
Gaming was successful before marketing research, focus group testing, and MBA-style corporate management nearly sucked the life out of it.
They've tasted COD money, there's no going back for them I'm afraid.

They're like Cain on Nuke in Robocop 2.

79. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 03:02 Dev

And we're live!

78. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 14, 2012, 00:13 Jerykk

Have to wonder though if they asked for the same amount of money from a publisher that they're asking for from KS.

If they intended for it to be a 2D, isometric, turn-based CRPG, then they probably asked for a similar amount. However, publishers have proven time and time again that they don't really have any interest in low-budget niche games. If it's not going to sell at least a million units, they don't care about it.

77. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 13, 2012, 22:51 ASeven

Getting close to $450,000, half the amount requested.  

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo