Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access

NCsoft announces details of the pre-purchase program for Guild Wars 2, their upcoming MMORPG sequel. Word is an advance commitment to any of the various editions of the game will earn players entree into all the game's beta events and a three-day head start when Guild Wars 2 goes live:

NCsoft, the world’s premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), today revealed the Pre-Purchase program for Guild Wars 2, the most anticipated online role-playing game scheduled for release in 2012. Starting April 10, players who pre-purchase the Guild Wars 2 Collector’s, Digital Deluxe, or Standard Editions will receive guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events and a three-day headstart prior to launch, giving them the opportunity to be among the first to secure their character and guild names. As a bonus, players who pre-purchase any edition will also receive an exclusive Hero’s Band, which will provide their characters with a broad range of power boosts as they venture into the world of Tyria in Guild Wars 2.

The Guild Wars 2 Collector’s Edition offers fans an unparalleled collection of physical content that goes beyond the game. The centerpiece of the Collector’s Edition is a detailed, hand-painted 10-inch statue of the bestial warrior Rytlock Brimstone wielding his signature flaming sword. Along with the Rytlock statue, players will receive a custom frame along with five stunning Guild Wars 2 art prints from world-renowned artists, a 112-page Making of Guild Wars 2 hardback book, a Best of Guild Wars 2 Soundtrack CD by award-winning composer Jeremy Soule, and five in-game items, including a Mistfire Wolf that will fight alongside players and a miniature Rytlock who will accompany them on their travels through Tyria.

The Guild Wars 2 Collector’s Edition will retail at $149.99 MSRP, the Digital Deluxe at $79.99 MSRP and the Standard Edition at $59.99 MSRP. Players may also pre-order Guild Wars 2 at select retailers, allowing them to reserve their copy of the game at launch. Players who pre-order Guild Wars 2 will receive a one-day headstart prior to launch.

For additional information on the pre-purchase program or Guild Wars 2, visit www.GuildWars2.com.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 El Pit

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANT NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!!! GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:31 nin

But then we'd have to play with the likes of you!

I know we had me, Creston, Bucky, Complicity (who hardly posts anymore), I think Dan, and I'm trying to remember who else.

edit: Damn, I missed the $150 CE. Wow...

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 11:42.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:30 InBlack

Ok from what Ive read on the Wiki, the structured PvP will instantly allow everyone access to all items, skills, abilites and max level.

What exactly is the incentive to play PvP then? Pure bragging rights? I assume its some kind of Team Deathmatch or the like? Sorry if I sound a complete noob (because I am) but Ive only seen this kind of thing in FPS games. Where skill is its own reward.

Also why would I waste time doing PvE if PvP is all that interests me?

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 Alamar

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:21:

Can GW2 be played / adventured, alone? as I have no friends.

We had a Blue's group years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it reforming, in some configuration.

But then we'd have to play with the likes of you!

heh : )

-Alamar

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:21 nin

Can GW2 be played / adventured, alone? as I have no friends.

We had a Blue's group years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it reforming, in some configuration.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:21 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:08:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:00:
The PVP thing is NOT an unlock. It says itself "Earn some Glory with this ONE-TIME USE Chalice." It sounds very much like it's a currency bonus for PVP same as the one time use guild currency bonus. Either way, one time use bonuses are pathetic offerings for the extra money they're asking.

'Earn some extra Glory with this one-time use chalice. Use Glory to unlock rewards in PvP as well as compare your progress against other players.'

Ok, so semantically, if 'Glory' is the PvP currency, it's not directly an unlock, but that doesn't change the argument that it makes sense being one time (either per character or per account and shared across characters).

-Alamar

I'm not suggesting they should make the chalice a multi-use thing. I'm suggesting they come up with something else, or add something else to the DDE to make it worth the $20.

16. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 11:13 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:06:
Verno could you elaborate on the payment model please? I was interested in Guild Wars 2, because I heard great things about Guild Wars (was too busy with other things at the time to try it), but after hearing that it had gone the full MMO route rather than an online actionRPG I kind of lost interest.

Does it have a persistent world or is it just persistent towns with instanced quests for adventuring parties?

I'm not in the press alpha and I've been trying to limit my preview coverage so as to not spoil everything but supposedly it's a fully persistent world with a few odd instanced areas for stuff like your house. It's a one time box copy purchase, no monthly fees and it is still very much an online action RPG in how it plays. There will likely be purchasable elements like storage boxes and whatnot to subsidize that.

For more in depth stuff on their take on the event system (I don't think there are traditional quests in the way you imagine) you're better off going straight to the source as it would take a long post to explain it all.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 11:21.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:08 Alamar

Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:00:
The PVP thing is NOT an unlock. It says itself "Earn some Glory with this ONE-TIME USE Chalice." It sounds very much like it's a currency bonus for PVP same as the one time use guild currency bonus. Either way, one time use bonuses are pathetic offerings for the extra money they're asking.

'Earn some extra Glory with this one-time use chalice. Use Glory to unlock rewards in PvP as well as compare your progress against other players.'

Ok, so semantically, if 'Glory' is the PvP currency, it's not directly an unlock, but that doesn't change the argument that it makes sense being one time (either per character or per account and shared across characters).

-Alamar

14. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 11:06 InBlack

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:07:
Ripperjack wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:05:
A friends trial offer, so soon after release? This game WILL go F2P within 6 months, if this keeps up. Then you can play your WoW with glow sticks for free, each month.

Every game should have a friends trial at launch IMO, most don't because they want the launch copy money so badly. The Guild Wars model is pretty close to F2P already so that wouldn't be a bad thing or something. I'm still amazed they subsidize monthly fees with how crazy expensive it is to make an MMO.

Verno could you elaborate on the payment model please? I was interested in Guild Wars 2, because I heard great things about Guild Wars (was too busy with other things at the time to try it), but after hearing that it had gone the full MMO route rather than an online actionRPG I kind of lost interest.

Does it have a persistent world or is it just persistent towns with instanced quests for adventuring parties?

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:00 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:54:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:42:
Having just checked the game's site, the DDE looks WEAK. For the extra $20, you get a one time use PVP bonus, a one time use Guild influence bonus, a mobile banker that says you only get to use him for 5 days, and one elite skill unique to the DDE/Collectors buyers.

So 3 of the bonuses simply vanish on you after use or x amount of days, leaving you with the only worthwhile bonus of the skill which has to be balanced out so it's not OP anyways.

Edit: Forgot there's also a non-combat pet (miniature) that doesn't vanish.

Why is that worth another 33% cost?

The PVP thing is an unlock, and the guild thing gives your guild 'currency', so it makes sense they're one time uses...

The banker though, for 5 days, makes no sense... So you can access your bank for the very early part of your character's 'career'... If it's per character, maybe the idea is for twinking, but I'd imagine the bank would be available in major cities at least, so yes, very odd it's time limited.

Also, Blue, any idea why your text says 'three-day head start', and the press release you copied says 'one-day headstart'? Their site also listed three... Odd...

-Alamar

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:54 Alamar

Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:42:
Having just checked the game's site, the DDE looks WEAK. For the extra $20, you get a one time use PVP bonus, a one time use Guild influence bonus, a mobile banker that says you only get to use him for 5 days, and one elite skill unique to the DDE/Collectors buyers.

So 3 of the bonuses simply vanish on you after use or x amount of days, leaving you with the only worthwhile bonus of the skill which has to be balanced out so it's not OP anyways.

The PVP thing is an unlock, and the guild thing gives your guild 'currency', so it makes sense they're one time uses...

The banker though, for 5 days, makes no sense... So you can access your bank for the very early part of your character's 'career'... If it's per character, maybe the idea is for twinking, but I'd imagine the bank would be available in major cities at least, so yes, very odd it's time limited.

Also, Blue, any idea why your text says 'three-day head start', and the press release you copied says 'one-day headstart'? Their site also listed three... Odd...

-Alamar

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:43 Teddy

Acleacius wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:41:
Wow, had no idea they were going to continue the previous model of no monthly fees!

A quick look at the FAQ on the official link, doesn't mention content differences between the 3 different versions, anyone found info on this?

Thanks.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 Teddy

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 10:47.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:41 Acleacius

Wow, had no idea they were going to continue the previous model of no monthly fees!

A quick look at the FAQ on the official link, doesn't mention content differences between the 3 different versions, anyone found info on this?

Thanks.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:32 Teddy

Yakubs wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:24:
What is a "beta weekend event" ?? Does that mean doing this pre-purchase doesn't get you into a full-fledged beta but rather some kind of limited Saturday/Sunday-only thing?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Same sort of thing that SWTOR did.

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:16:
Can GW2 be played / adventured, alone? as I have no friends. I couldn't get into wow, it was a culture that wasn't part of me, perhaps GW2 is more up my alley. never played gw1. I like action RPG's.

Yes you can, though there are group based dungeons that you won't be able to do. There are still lots of areas where you can explore on your own, and meta-events that you can participate in with other people without having to know them or be part of a party/raid/whatever.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:24 Yakubs

What is a "beta weekend event" ?? Does that mean doing this pre-purchase doesn't get you into a full-fledged beta but rather some kind of limited Saturday/Sunday-only thing?  

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:16 Optional nickname

Can GW2 be played / adventured, alone? as I have no friends. I couldn't get into wow, it was a culture that wasn't part of me, perhaps GW2 is more up my alley. never played gw1. I like action RPG's.  

5. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 10:12 Darks

Since when did games start at $60?? Bloody EA and their price gouging!

Yea, the whole 60 dollar thing is getting out of hand. And yes EA and Activision are fricking responsible for this happening. Greedy bastards!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

4. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 10:09 Ripperjack

Disreguard what I initally said. Had text in my clipboard from another rant.  

3. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 10:07 Verno

A friends trial offer, so soon after release? This game WILL go F2P within 6 months, if this keeps up. Then you can play your WoW with glow sticks for free, each month.

Every game should have a friends trial at launch IMO, most don't because they want the launch copy money so badly. The Guild Wars model is pretty close to F2P already so that wouldn't be a bad thing or something. I'm still amazed they subsidize monthly fees with how crazy expensive it is to make an MMO.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo