Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access

NCsoft announces details of the pre-purchase program for Guild Wars 2, their upcoming MMORPG sequel. Word is an advance commitment to any of the various editions of the game will earn players entree into all the game's beta events and a three-day head start when Guild Wars 2 goes live:

NCsoft, the world’s premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), today revealed the Pre-Purchase program for Guild Wars 2, the most anticipated online role-playing game scheduled for release in 2012. Starting April 10, players who pre-purchase the Guild Wars 2 Collector’s, Digital Deluxe, or Standard Editions will receive guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events and a three-day headstart prior to launch, giving them the opportunity to be among the first to secure their character and guild names. As a bonus, players who pre-purchase any edition will also receive an exclusive Hero’s Band, which will provide their characters with a broad range of power boosts as they venture into the world of Tyria in Guild Wars 2.

The Guild Wars 2 Collector’s Edition offers fans an unparalleled collection of physical content that goes beyond the game. The centerpiece of the Collector’s Edition is a detailed, hand-painted 10-inch statue of the bestial warrior Rytlock Brimstone wielding his signature flaming sword. Along with the Rytlock statue, players will receive a custom frame along with five stunning Guild Wars 2 art prints from world-renowned artists, a 112-page Making of Guild Wars 2 hardback book, a Best of Guild Wars 2 Soundtrack CD by award-winning composer Jeremy Soule, and five in-game items, including a Mistfire Wolf that will fight alongside players and a miniature Rytlock who will accompany them on their travels through Tyria.

The Guild Wars 2 Collector’s Edition will retail at $149.99 MSRP, the Digital Deluxe at $79.99 MSRP and the Standard Edition at $59.99 MSRP. Players may also pre-order Guild Wars 2 at select retailers, allowing them to reserve their copy of the game at launch. Players who pre-order Guild Wars 2 will receive a one-day headstart prior to launch.

For additional information on the pre-purchase program or Guild Wars 2, visit www.GuildWars2.com.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 17, 2012, 03:55 xXBatmanXx

Krovven wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 12:31:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 04:55:
I am STILL in it....but no one logs in anymore. The quests I have now are to damn hard to do alone.

If NCSoft wasnt being so greedy with the cost of the expansions I'd be willing to jump in and go through the storyline. I've got the first 2 games on disc, and I dont have the last 2. I'd like to get all 4 on Steam, but even on sale the price(s) were too high.

Really? I got mine at Amazon or even at a retail store for pennies on the dollar...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 15, 2012, 23:16 Asmo

Darks wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:12:
Ripperjack wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:05:
Since when did games start at $60?? Bloody EA and their price gouging!

Yea, the whole 60 dollar thing is getting out of hand. And yes EA and Activision are fricking responsible for this happening. Greedy bastards!!

Aww please, we in Aus get charged 80 bucks for the same product (given the exchange rate that's about 83 USD).

60. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 15, 2012, 12:31 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 04:55:
I am STILL in it....but no one logs in anymore. The quests I have now are to damn hard to do alone.

If NCSoft wasnt being so greedy with the cost of the expansions I'd be willing to jump in and go through the storyline. I've got the first 2 games on disc, and I dont have the last 2. I'd like to get all 4 on Steam, but even on sale the price(s) were too high.

59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 18:53 Closed Betas

Don't fall victim to this beta crap any longer.. Have we not been abused enough? How many of these phoney betas must you fall for?!?! Playing a partial demo a week before release IS NOT BETA access..

Quit being fooled so they can impress stores with phoney numbers just cuz you want a tease of this game.

F2P games now have 5 closed beta's 2 open betas and a release, EA Sells beta games and gives us 1 day before everyone else.. After a 1 year pre-order...

Enough is enough!

58. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 12:55 Agent.X7

Dades wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 07:37:
So for a layman who doesn't like most MMO games, what sets this apart from everything else? What makes it so original and interesting to a bunch of you?

It is dropping a bunch of MMO conventions that everyone has used since, well, since MMOs began. (And those got their conventions from D&D)

No more Tank/healer/dps holy trinity.

Quests are rarer, and are actual quests. Otherwise you participate in dynamic events that happen with or without you. Success or failure in a dynamic event influences how new dynamic events happen. (No more succeed or keep trying until you succeed quests.)

Combat is more involved. You need to dodge and react to things going on around you, unlike most MMOs where you can stand still the majority of the time, relying on auto attack. Skills are half based on what weapon you are wielding. Skills react with other skills to form new attacks.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

57. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 07:37 Dades

So for a layman who doesn't like most MMO games, what sets this apart from everything else? What makes it so original and interesting to a bunch of you?  

56. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 04:55 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:31:
But then we'd have to play with the likes of you!

I know we had me, Creston, Bucky, Complicity (who hardly posts anymore), I think Dan, and I'm trying to remember who else.

edit: Damn, I missed the $150 CE. Wow...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

55. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 04:48 xXBatmanXx

Kind of surprised at the 60.00 starting price tag....  

54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 04:01 entr0py

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 01:10:
IS this game going to have leveling this time? If not=failure...

I think you were misinformed about the first game. It had leveling. You also had an option of making sort of a gimped PvP-only character that was level 20, in case you wanted to jump right in to PvP or try out classes before deciding on one.

I doubt Guild Wars 2 retains that option, but it wouldn't bother me if it did. I'd just ignore it and play the game the proper way like I did with Guild Wars.

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 01:36 Herzog

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 12:52:
Bucky wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 12:47:
nin wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 12:41:
Hey, it was a lot of fun playing Guild Wars with nin, until he ran away from me because he complained that I was power-leveling the starter area.

Creston

I remember the early days with the pre-expansion game, and getting an involuntary twitch when anyone mentioned the words "Thunderhead Keep".

Oh sweet fluffy lord, don't ever say those words again. I got hit by a wave of dread just reading that. It's one of only 2 (or 3) missions that I did not accomplish the bonus objective--in the case of that particular mission, it was because you had to go outside of the keep in order to pull it off.

If I remember right, we'd end up with a couple of people we didn't know, from the general channel, and things would always fall apart during the last fight...

It got better over time, but man...

I played GW so much it was a better value than a standard deck of Bicycle cards

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 14, 2012, 01:10 AnointedSword

IS this game going to have leveling this time? If not=failure...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

51. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 21:27 Teddy

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:17:
PHJF wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:10:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but why would a persistent world cost a lot more hardware and bandwith? If you have 200,000 people playing, you have 200,000 people playing, whether they're in instances or in one huge world?

Logistics?

In what way?

Creston

There's certainly a greater cost in bandwidth, though how much is a question. Just a function of more information that needs to be sent to each client. Chat channels that were only available in cities in the original now need to be sent while outside, more players in the world around you means more info your client needs on their status/location/hp/damage/etc, and that of any mobs they're fighting in the area when in an instanced situation, the only mobs engaged are the ones you and your team is fighting.

50. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 21:17 Creston

PHJF wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:10:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but why would a persistent world cost a lot more hardware and bandwith? If you have 200,000 people playing, you have 200,000 people playing, whether they're in instances or in one huge world?

Logistics?

In what way?

Creston

49. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 21:10 PHJF

Logistics?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 20:31 Yifes

Endo wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 17:23:
They won't be subsidizing monthly fees. They'll have a cash shop that while not quite as necessary as in most F2P titles, will still be necessary enough to influence many players to spend money every month. They were able to get by without that in the first GW because of the instanced design (it was basically Diablo II but with 3D towns instead of text lobbies for meeting up with other players). A persistent world is going to take a lot more hardware and a lot more bandwidth, and their previous revenue model isn't going to be sufficient.

Not true. Bandwidth and server costs have become incredibly cheap nowadays. If you look at the financial statements for MMO companies, these monthly cost comes out to be tens of cents per person. Considering that they will release an expansion a year or two from now, the box price itself is enough for them to profit.

47. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 20:23 Creston

Endo wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 17:23:
They won't be subsidizing monthly fees. They'll have a cash shop that while not quite as necessary as in most F2P titles, will still be necessary enough to influence many players to spend money every month. They were able to get by without that in the first GW because of the instanced design (it was basically Diablo II but with 3D towns instead of text lobbies for meeting up with other players). A persistent world is going to take a lot more hardware and a lot more bandwidth, and their previous revenue model isn't going to be sufficient.

Creston

46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 20:16 Cutter

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 19:47:
I'm kinda shocked that they're offering so much for pre-ordering. The press beta met pretty much universal acclaim. Do they really think many people who are considering the game will be turned off by final product? I think they're just going through a lot of trouble to get money that they were going to get anyway.

It happens. How many games have we seen that were media darlings that were panned by most gamers. Hell, it just happend with ME3. There may be all sorts of reasons people might not like it once they're actually playing. I doubt that'll be the case, but you won't know for certain untill you're in there and check it out first hand.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 19:47 Mikus_Aurelius

I'm kinda shocked that they're offering so much for pre-ordering. The press beta met pretty much universal acclaim. Do they really think many people who are considering the game will be turned off by final product? I think they're just going through a lot of trouble to get money that they were going to get anyway.  

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 19:16 eunichron

briktal wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 16:19:
eunichron wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 15:57:
I was all over that collector's edition until I saw the price tag.

$150? ... guess I'll have to settle for just the digital deluxe.

Also, am I the only one that noticed the similarity between the graphic on https://buy.guildwars2.com/ and the Ned Stark meme? http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/imminent-ned-brace-yourselves-x-is-coming

The GW2 twitter linked a pic yesterday (I think) of a comparison someone made. So no, you aren't the only one.

Heh, yeah I just saw that, but the original GW2 graphic didn't say, "Brace Yourselves." Guessing they added it once someone pointed out the similarity. I approve.

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 19:04 Nate

Pfft, that Digital Deluxe is a rip off. 1/3rd higher price than the standard for stuff you won't care about in a month.  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo