Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer

A new trailer shows off Battlefield 3 Close Quarters the recently announced expansion for the military first-person shooter (thanks BF3Blog). The clip shows off gameplay, and more about the add-on an be learned in a new Close Quarters preview on Eurogamer.net.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 16, 2012, 13:38 SectorEffector

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 09:04:
It gets into a gray area because in real world warfare having a gun mounted 40mm grenade launcher with high explosive ammo, would give you a huge advantage, but I think it can be fixed with real world solutions.

It's not really a gray area because Battlefield has never been a realism/simulator experience. Explosives are being nerfed because there are too many maps based on chokepoints and explosives ruin those maps.

Either way, a better fix is what I mentioned with 203's. Close range 203's wouldn't prime and the round wouldn't go off.

Realism or no realism the game uses factual weapons in a modern combat setting and you can't just remove it. It's certainly lame to pull a call of duty and just make the 203 do half the damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 16, 2012, 09:04 Verno

It gets into a gray area because in real world warfare having a gun mounted 40mm grenade launcher with high explosive ammo, would give you a huge advantage, but I think it can be fixed with real world solutions.

It's not really a gray area because Battlefield has never been a realism/simulator experience. Explosives are being nerfed because there are too many maps based on chokepoints and explosives ruin those maps.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 15, 2012, 16:13 SectorEffector

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 09:52:
My own peeve in BF3 is the grenade launchers or "noob tubes" but I don't think they should be "fixed". AWP stuff

I know this wasn't directed at me but having played both games extensively I don't think they can be compared. If nothing else the AWP requires skill to use properly whereas the M320 effectively ruins chokepoint heavy maps (of which there are several in BF3) because anyone can sit there spamming away with it. It is reloaded quickly, the class that can equip it can also resupply themselves and it even hurts entire groups with a large splash radius.

It totally needs to be fixed and that's why it's directly referenced as such in the patch notes. Most of the balance changes are sensible and have nothing to do with hurting "good" players who are just effective with certain weapons, it's about certain weapons turning any player into a force without any requisite skill offset.

I don't think the situation is as bad as Dades or other people are saying but there are several standouts that need to be addressed. Dice originally said that they were going for style choices with weapon selection, it's not an upgrade tree. Guns are supposed to be tailored to specific situations and preferences, overall they've hit that goal but there are some outliers.

Nobody probably played americas army here but one thing they got right was the 203 grenades wouldn't explode if you shot a wall thats 10 feet away, because the actual 203 round only becomes live after a certain amount of rotations in the air. Therefore actual 203's have a failsafe so if you shot the ground beneath you with a 203 it would just bounce off and seem inert.

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 15, 2012, 09:52 Verno

My own peeve in BF3 is the grenade launchers or "noob tubes" but I don't think they should be "fixed". AWP stuff

I know this wasn't directed at me but having played both games extensively I don't think they can be compared. If nothing else the AWP requires skill to use properly whereas the M320 effectively ruins chokepoint heavy maps (of which there are several in BF3) because anyone can sit there spamming away with it. It is reloaded quickly, the class that can equip it can also resupply themselves and it even hurts entire groups with a large splash radius.

It totally needs to be fixed and that's why it's directly referenced as such in the patch notes. Most of the balance changes are sensible and have nothing to do with hurting "good" players who are just effective with certain weapons, it's about certain weapons turning any player into a force without any requisite skill offset.

I don't think the situation is as bad as Dades or other people are saying but there are several standouts that need to be addressed. Dice originally said that they were going for style choices with weapon selection, it's not an upgrade tree. Guns are supposed to be tailored to specific situations and preferences, overall they've hit that goal but there are some outliers.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2012, 09:59.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

45. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 23:51 Sepharo

I think weapons should be reasonably balanced but I'm tending to agree more with SectorEffector here, especially after the AWP analogy.

Dades, do you think the AWP should be "fixed" for balance? You certainly wouldn't be alone in that opinion. I personally can't stand the servers that disable it so when you put the concept of "weapon balancing" in that light I'll have to disagree.

My own peeve in BF3 is the grenade launchers or "noob tubes" but I don't think they should be "fixed".

I wonder if perceptions of weapon balance are effected by trends in weapon usage. Wouldn't it sort of feed into itself? More people using it, more people dying from it and deciding to use it themselves, getting better with it and fueling the idea that it's a better weapon.

But then of course there is stuff like this: http://denkirson.xanga.com/756891604/bf3/

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 23:27 Dades

Correct, but those fixes occur from actual posts and less "FIX YOUR FUCKING SHIT" posts.

Even pure anger about it is helpful, the developers read places like this too. I only started playing recently but others have been waiting months for some of these problems to be fixed, being pissed off is pretty understandable. Most people don't buy games like this for a 4 hour singleplayer campaign.

43. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 22:12 SectorEffector

Dades wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 22:00:
SectorEffector wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 21:50:
Weapon balance is relative
That bitching gets you a much improved game too, you're welcome.

Correct, but those fixes occur from actual posts and less "FIX YOUR FUCKING SHIT" posts.

My first post is predicated on someones post about the game being a piece of shit, which I disagree on. I have my selective gripes, but I still get hours of enjoyment out of the title, and I feel like it's worth the price I paid.

I'm surprised there's less flak about FUCKING 360 having an actual server browser, and PC doesn't.

42. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 22:03 SectorEffector

I'm strictly talking weapons here, the mav elevator is lame and was recently patched out.

The IRNV scope was HORRIBLY cheap and that made being a newb less fun. And that was nerfed as well.

But seeing players with the famas doesn't make me not want to play, quite the opposite, it literally makes me WANT to play and get that gun for myself.

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 22:00 Dades

SectorEffector wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 21:50:
Weapon balance is relative

It's not really relative, that's a cop out. People aren't just complaining about weapon balance and there are many reasons the patch is needed. It's not just weapons, its attachments, its exploits like mav elevators and its many other things that people are bitching about that should have been fixed months ago.

I'd rather reward seasoned players with a nicer weapon then a reskinned one. I'm not for neutered multiplayer, It's like playing Warcraft II and seeing the griffon riders and the dragons for orc... same EXACT unit but with a different skin. Even the projectile is identical. You just need to identify that different players have different needs, and where I think it's balanced you think it's unbalanced.

Balance has to be maintained whenever possible, this isn't an MMO where you put in time and get the goodies to lord over the little guys. The little guys don't stick around if they don't have a fighting chance. It's a multiplayer game where every facet matters. Imbalance to give people some empowerment fix is not fair or appropriate to multiplayer games when it comes at the expense of other players. It doesn't build communities, it ruins competitive play and that's why the patch is coming out with many of the fixes that people rightfully complained about. That bitching gets you a much improved game too, you're welcome.

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 21:50 SectorEffector

Dades wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 07:31:
A slightly overpowered weapon that can be handled on both teams, You can't convince me to complain about that. Cheating and overpowered weapons are completely different things.

It's a good thing you don't work on the multiplayer for this then. Both teams using an overpowered weapon doesn't mean that things are suddenly balanced, especially in a game with an unlock system. No one is asking you to complain so go on ahead thinking that balance doesn't matter and everyone else is just whining for the hell of it. You're totally off base here, weapon balance is one of the most important factors of multiplayer.

Weapon balance is relative, the very concept of an unlock system could be considered "unbalanced" "That guy has a better gun with a nicer sight because he unlocked it, thats not fair"

You can call me off base all you want, but the point is, if you wanted to you could say the unlock system itself is unfair. I'd rather reward seasoned players with a nicer weapon then a reskinned one. I'm not for neutered multiplayer, It's like playing Warcraft II and seeing the griffon riders and the dragons for orc... same EXACT unit but with a different skin. Even the projectile is identical.

You just need to identify that different players have different needs, and where I think it's balanced you think it's unbalanced.

The difference here is I know I am a demographic and my idea shouldn't apply to every game or MMORPG where strict balancing is required more, but here it's all opinion on what "we think" is fair. Even in online multiplayer, if everything was perfectly balanced I wouldn't play that game, where you might.

Let's say you play zDaemon and you realize the double barreled shotty in doom 2 is WAYY overpowered. You say it should be removed and or made to shoot less pellets. I think its fine. The beauty is you can just play another title that will appease your balance requirements.

That's the beauty of there being multiple games to choose from.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2012, 22:00.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 13:42 Ant

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 13:38:
LanikTnt wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 09:00:
Soldier of Fortune was a highly underrated multiplayer... so was Sin for that matter IMHO.

+1 to both of those statements.
I remember those. They were OK. I like their single players more. Dang, I'm old.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 13:38 ForgedReality

LanikTnt wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 09:00:
Soldier of Fortune was a highly underrated multiplayer... so was Sin for that matter IMHO.

+1 to both of those statements.

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 13:37 ForgedReality

SectorEffector wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 17:54:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 17:11:
Dear EA,

FIX YOUR FUCKING STEAMING PILE OF SHIT BEFORE TRYING TO ADD MORE SHIT TO THE PILE. EVEN FLIES CAN GET TOO MUCH SHIT.

Thank you.

Am I the only person who is a BF player since 42 that gets enjoyment out of BF3? I do only play in less populated servers, so maybe thats it.. but I swear the game is pretty fun, I can still C4 vehicles and it's not nearly as asinine as COD.

I'm not saying its perfect in balance esp with USAS frags, but honestly I hated playing in CS servers with banned AWPS, if a weapons unbalanced then let it be, it adds flavor. It's like paintballing and complaining that some kid has a really nice gun.

I was in no way referring to the gameplay. It is indeed fun, if you can get it working correctly.

I play on PC, and it's full of bugs. 90% of the time, on first launch, it will crash, and the server browser reports some random unknown error occurred. Okay, so I have to launch it again... And every time I launch it, I still have to click the game's icon from the fucking task bar to get it maximize. Why? Why doesn't it just launch fullscreen?

And why the fuck does the server browser need to be in my web browser? Why can't it work like Steam, where everything is fully-integrated?

I was playing yesterday, and I died right as I was being revived. When I respawn, I can only use my pistol, w doesn't work, nor does sprint, so I can't move forward, I can only walk backwards and side to side. At first, I thought my keyboard was fucking up, since it's a wireless keyboard, and I figured the battery was dying. But I also couldn't ironsight with my right mouse button. I died, and when I come back, everything's fine again. Fun bug, that.

There are other bugs that sometimes cause the game to crash, and it gives a weird error like "disconnected from EA" or "an error has occurred" ... yeah, no shit. The error is EA published this fucking steaming pile.

Sure, it's extremely fun once it starts working correctly, and I usually don't have issues once it does, but every bug this game has is a serious, game-breaking one. It's not like minor shit you can overlook like, oh look, that texture is flickering. No, they're really major bugs, and it's frustrating as all hell that EA is paying no attention to them, and instead releasing more pay to play garbage without fixing the main framework first. There is NO WAY they don't know about these issues, they just choose to ignore them because they don't care about the PC market.

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 09:00 LanikTnt

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 07:31 Dades

A slightly overpowered weapon that can be handled on both teams, You can't convince me to complain about that. Cheating and overpowered weapons are completely different things.

It's a good thing you don't work on the multiplayer for this then. Both teams using an overpowered weapon doesn't mean that things are suddenly balanced, especially in a game with an unlock system. No one is asking you to complain so go on ahead thinking that balance doesn't matter and everyone else is just whining for the hell of it. You're totally off base here, weapon balance is one of the most important factors of multiplayer.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 00:46 Ant

DangerDog wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 00:39:
Ant wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:17:
"'Battlefield 3 Close Qua...'
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Electronic Arts..."

Any mirrors?

It's the same video in the Eurogamer link.
Thanks!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 00:42 SectorEffector

Dades wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 18:50:
I'm not saying its perfect in balance esp with USAS frags, but honestly I hated playing in CS servers with banned AWPS, if a weapons unbalanced then let it be, it adds flavor. It's like paintballing and complaining that some kid has a really nice gun.

A lot of people are just born to complain

Unbalanced weapons and multiplayer do not mix. What's next, cheating is ok because its fun? What might be fun for you could be ruining 10 others peoples enjoyment and causing them to complain. People want things fixed so that they can enjoy the game. Some bitching will always exist but there are problems they need to fix up.

You say it's unbalanced but I say another player on your team can just AWP too, if he's as good he can even the score.

Cheating is something that isn't built in anywhere and a player is completely circumventing the rules of the game. A slightly overpowered weapon that can be handled on both teams, You can't convince me to complain about that. Cheating and overpowered weapons are completely different things.

I can see USAS Frags being ridiculous, but not enough to not be able to enjoy a game and give it a good review.

Nothing is worse then seeing a review for a great game like Company of Heroes with a 1 out of 10, and the whole review is "It's got great graphics yadda yadda yadda... but I don't like the germans overpowered tanks" 1 OUT OF 10. What happened to all the other good aspects of it. I don't listen to a radiohead CD and shit all over it because it has 3 experimental tracks that don't appeal to me as a listener when the rest is great.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 14, 2012, 00:39 DangerDog

Ant wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:17:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Electronic Arts..."

Any mirrors?

It's the same video in the Eurogamer link.

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 13, 2012, 22:17 Ant

Any mirrors?

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Close Quarters Trailer Mar 13, 2012, 19:37 Jackplug

I rather have the sdk tools than play some crappy shit that takes them 5 months to make, give the map editor to the community and we will have about 25 good maps by then.

Fucking usless Dice, 5 months to make 1 lousy map.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo