Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Bitbag - Video Game Journalism Needs An Enema And Iím The Doctor.
What went wrong with game journalism? I stated early on twitter that I wanted to take it back to its roots. I mentioned Ed Semrad, Arnie Katz and Dave Halverson as just a few editors who I respect in this business. They wrote real stories and because of print media, they didnít rely on other outlets to generate content. They wrote with passion and integrity. Now, because of the web, everyone is farming for traffic.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2012, 04:25 Jerykk

Gametrailers reviews provide a decent cross section of gameplay footage in a single URL. Serves a purpose well. I don't even listen to what they're saying, and I stopped reading reviews a long time ago. If the game appeals to me in the videos, I might check up reviews from trusted sources. But mostly it's a process of aggregation. Seeing for myself what it's like via gameplay footage far outweighs reading reviews.

I find Giantbomb to a better source of video. Whereas the Gametrailers videos are heavily edited, the Giantbomb videos are just one long, continuous piece of footage. Granted, the guys playing usually suck but you still get a solid sample of actual gameplay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 23:15 jdreyer

What happened to good writing is "The Internet." Print media paid $2 per word. The internet pays $10 per post. So, when the bottom drops out on salaries like that, so does the quality and fact checking.

You get what you pay for, caveat emptor.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 20:18 Dmitri_M

Gametrailers reviews provide a decent cross section of gameplay footage in a single URL. Serves a purpose well. I don't even listen to what they're saying, and I stopped reading reviews a long time ago. If the game appeals to me in the videos, I might check up reviews from trusted sources. But mostly it's a process of aggregation. Seeing for myself what it's like via gameplay footage far outweighs reading reviews. Games "journalism" was always pointless, all the way back to the mags I read as a teen in the 90s. It was mostly snarky captions and snarky articles. What did you ever get out of the articles other than an opinion editorial on a game. Unless the game was obviously awful maybe you'd get a laugh out of an exceptionally snarky review, but really gamers instinctively know whether a game will be decent or not viewing videos and other content.  

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 17:32 PHJF

Ah but I meant game mags - nothing they do is not done better and faster online, including delivery of demo's.. videos and reviews/previews.

You'd think so, except Gametrailers video reviews are a fucking joke, often failing in detailing anything of substance whatsoever about their subject material, all the while filling their video with random cutscene gibberish that in no way reflects the actual game. And to top it all off, the writing (or lack thereof) is pervasive.

I miss my print mags. Anyone can put anything on the internet, but it takes time, effort, and determination to put out a periodical (and a lot of advertising space, but the internet is no different there, is it).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 17:21 eRe4s3r

Ah but I meant game mags - nothing they do is not done better and faster online, including delivery of demo's.. videos and reviews/previews. For the things you said physical mags are probably still better for a while, until they too become e-books ;p  

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 16:59 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:43:
But what does truth matter when game "journalism" is relegated back to PRINT media, where it will definitely die a quick death. Physical print media is dieing, and no amount of good journalism will save it because its not dieing because of lack of quality but because whenever i get physical print media its usually outdated by a week when it gets to me. Even daily print news are outdated 12 to 32 hours when they reach you. That kind of news delivery is totally pointless in the age of the Internet.

Not to mention stupid exclusive coverage of games... mhhh

For news it certainly can't compete. For general information it certainly can. I've always read prolifically though. I read a ton of history and all things food and drink related - and sometimes both as I'm reading about the history of salt atm haha! I also enjoy my magazines - Monocle, Skeptic, Scientific American, Economist, Cooks Illustrated, Urban Farm, Saveur, etc. Newspapers can and should go away IMO - and not just the physical medium. Most are just political rags for the lowest common denominator now. They also generally provide nothing but sensationalism an very little depth. I've never cared for the newspaper.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 14:12 nwerner

subjective.

I never found Ed Semrad, Arnie Katz and Dave Halverson to be all that great. But if we're name-dropping... Chris Hudak and Dan Morris made me laugh out loud.

http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 11:43 eRe4s3r

But what does truth matter when game "journalism" is relegated back to PRINT media, where it will definitely die a quick death. Physical print media is dieing, and no amount of good journalism will save it because its not dieing because of lack of quality but because whenever i get physical print media its usually outdated by a week when it gets to me. Even daily print news are outdated 12 to 32 hours when they reach you. That kind of news delivery is totally pointless in the age of the Internet.

Not to mention stupid exclusive coverage of games... mhhh

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 11:14 InBlack

Aside from that, the article is pretty great and deals with more than just fact checking. Its pretty awesome and a big KUDAS to Torrence for having the balls to write truth.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2012, 10:08 avianflu

Having read the whole thing it is more like

"Now, because of the web, all the full-time fact checkers no longer have jobs in journalism."

Since forever, fact checkers were standard staffers in any print journalism of name. Most were fired when ad sales in print journalism nose dived 10 years ago. Barely documented.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo