Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 13, 2012, 13:33 Verno

I think we've done this before.

But let's ignore all that and say they only changed the versioning system to satisfy the users who want to see big numbers ascend, so what? I don't see them doing it irresponsibly, they have genuinely improved the state of the browser quickly. People actually interested in features as opposed to arguing about version numbers have the easily accessible release notes to decide if their upgrades are worthwhile or not. Those people couldn't tell based on a version number before the change either. Even if this only helps them internally its been worth it and I don't see the industry in general using a set of strict versioning guidelines these days. I've updated major programs and lost features as often as not in the past five years.

There is also background updating in the beta channel and a long term release client for people who don't like the new release schedule/version/whatever. There's also several competitors, some of whom use the same approach.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 13, 07:48 Re: Evening Metaverse Fibrocyte
  2. Mar 13, 09:01 Re: Evening Metaverse eRe4s3r
  3. Mar 13, 09:28  Re: Evening Metaverse nin
  4. Mar 13, 09:36  Re: Evening Metaverse Verno
  5. Mar 13, 10:24   Re: Evening Metaverse eRe4s3r
  6. Mar 13, 11:15   Re: Evening Metaverse Quboid
  7. Mar 13, 11:48    Re: Evening Metaverse Verno
  9. Mar 13, 13:09     Re: Evening Metaverse Bhruic