Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 14, 2012, 02:04 xXBatmanXx

Go into a local parts store - and you would never know that PC is on the decline. It is madness. Retail sales might be down, but I don't know of anyone not building a PC.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 20:21 Sepharo

Sometimes the chiefs we sell to will ask us about "the cloud". Once we explain to them what "the cloud" is, their response is usually along the lines of, "Oh hell no, our data is staying right here!"

Even though probably most the time it would be better to allow a expert third party to handle it for them but they're very protective of their data.

21. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 18:22 zirik

i agree with the article since a lot of hospitals across the country are deploying tools made by vmware to handle cloud computing. it enables them to use new health care management programs and still integrate it to old but hard to replace equipments.  

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 13:09 Bodolza

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 09:37:
Few people are still buying desktops. Corporations moved on. Individuals moved on. The benefits they offer over laptops are non-existent unless you're building yourself

Maybe you should read your own links.

"By format type, desktop PCs are still SMBs' choice of device type with unit sales equaling 61.3 million"

And all those companies that are switching to laptops, do you know what else they're buying? Docking stations, mice, keyboards and monitors, so people can use their laptops as desktops.

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 12:56 Creston

Fucking Cloud.

My company switched its email to the cloud, and it's been nothing but fucking hassle after hassle after hassle since we've done that.

The PC is nowhere near dead. A tablet simply doesn't work in the office, as it's not versatile and easy to use enough, but desktops are definitely going the way of the dodo.

Anyway, the whole article is a five-dismissive-wanks worthy suckjob of Gartner, so eh.

Creston

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 10:49 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 09:43:
Yeah we are all idiots because we are too fucking blind to see that the PC (by that I mean personal computer, enterprise desktop and any fucking IBM compatible machine with keyboard+mouse combo) will go extinct by the year 2014. Yeah we are also too fucking retarded to even figure out that the year 2014 is not the same as 2025.

He keeps complaining about my gaming industry crash theory despite me offering morethan enough economic proof it's comig but then he pulls this. The nerve he has criticizing me when he blabbers crap like that.

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 09:44 InBlack

The first paragraph of your first source:

Preliminary data from IT research firm Techaisle shows 120.1 million PCs were shipped in 2010 to small to medium-size businesses (SMBs) (businesses with less than 1,000 employees)—a year-on-year growth rate of 10.4 percent.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 InBlack

Yeah we are all idiots because we are too fucking blind to see that the PC (by that I mean personal computer, enterprise desktop and any fucking IBM compatible machine with keyboard+mouse combo) will go extinct by the year 2014. Yeah we are also too fucking retarded to even figure out that the year 2014 is not the same as 2025.  

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 09:37 Beamer

Source 1

Source 2

It always amazes me when some of you that are otherwise normal people go out of your way to be jackasses only to be proved painfully wrong by simple google searches of "laptop and pc sales"

Few people are still buying desktops. Corporations moved on. Individuals moved on. The benefits they offer over laptops are non-existent unless you're building yourself, and what percent of the market do you really think bothers with that? 0.5%?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 09:33 Beamer

I always find it funny when people respond to me and fail to distinguish between desktop and PC.

One of you was right in your response to me. Just one. And it's true that laptop gaming sucks now, but the gap has been closing and PC gaming as a whole is becoming less resource intense.

The rest of you, though? Jesus, I've been posting laptop and desktop sales trends here for years. Years. In 2008 desktops were 45% of computing sales. 38% in 2009. 32% in 2010. THEY WERE LESS THAN A THIRD OF COMPUTER SALES IN 2010!

I don't know a single person that's purchased a computer in the past 3 years and bought a desktop other than myself. I know hundreds that have purchased laptops. Hell, at this point even corporations have given up on desktops because laptops are cheaper, allow for easier multi-monitor setups and let employees work from home.
2011 was the first year in which laptop sales to small/medium businesses were higher than desktop sales.

I'm not sitting here saying everyone will do everything on tablets, which some of you like to pretend because you're too set in your ways to understand that "desktop" and "pc" are not synonyms. But you're idiots if you think either the laptop or the desktop will be the primary way of computing in 2025. You're idiots if you don't realize that just because small, portable methods of computing are less powerful and harder to input TODAY means they will be 15 years from now. You're idiots if you don't think cellphones that wirelessly connect to docking stations don't have a strong chance of completely destroying the PC industry as it stands, and that it isn't a bad thing as absolutely nothing would change from it.

But what really blows my mind is how many of you just stick your head in the sand and pretend that desktop sales haven't completely fallen off a cliff as laptops have become cheaper yet still plenty powerful enough to do anything. Fuck, man, just look at Apple, who leads the industry on all trends, and ask yourself what they're selling. Hint: desktops are the last thing they want to sell you, and the last thing anyone is buying from them. But you can also open your Best Buy flyer, or walk into a Target, or even load up Dell.com and take a look at the product offering. Again, HINT: laptops are everywhere, desktops are hard to find.

-------------

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 08:06 InBlack

I stand corrected. Although there is something about the word 'consumer' (not customer mind you) in the english language that conjurs up a mental image of a vile beast devouring everything in its path...  

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 07:28 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 05:03:
Beamer do you brainwash yourself with these ideas yourself? Christ almighty, you consistently post opinions that are spun out of the fabric of the mighty marketing spindoctors. Its like you are the perfect non-informed consumer. Either that or you are the most subtle and gifted troll ever to grace these boards.

Fixed. Because there is a crucial difference between informed and non-informed customers.

11. thanks enoch Mar 13, 2012, 07:08 space captain

DUMB TERMINALS ARE THE FUTURE!!

oh wow, never heard that before

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 05:47 Silicon Avatar

Another BS troll article.

One point is true though - IT is becoming a commodity. Virtualization and imaging technologies make standard IT "tech" positions get condensed into fewer jobs at most companies. One person can image hundreds of PCs over a network over many locations. If data is stored off-site then the user can be up and running in a short time no matter what is wrong with the PC (assuming no hardware failure).

The author thinks workers are becoming more technologically savvy though and that makes me laugh. Users aren't getting tech savvy - they're buying commercial commodity hardware like iPad and coming into work thinking they are tech savvy.

Businesses have a hard-on for dumb terminals again because the economy is bad and they think they can make a savings by going the server route again. This flip-flop has been happening since the PC was invented.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 05:03 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 00:38:
I don't agree with going to computing as a service. Dumb terminals and clouds? No.

But will clouds be there for backup power? Maybe.

And is the desktop dead? Yeah, in the same way as Castro is. It may still be kicking around, but it has no influence, no one pays attention, and only real purists still give a shit.

Beamer do you brainwash yourself with these ideas yourself? Christ almighty, you consistently post opinions that are spun out of the fabric of the mighty marketing spindoctors. Its like you are the perfect consumer. Either that or you are the most subtle and gifted troll ever to grace these boards.

Yeah the PC is dead, right. Sure. Because everybody and their mother has a smartphone, because everyone and their mother has a tablet at work on which they actually you know...do work. Because everybody and their mother has a tablet at home on which they stream movies and watch movies and play games and because you know all those corporations that have spent countless billions on their PC IBM compatible hardware, and to train their workforce are all going to replace all that with a small pad like device that can do everything well including spreadheets, graphics, and can run specialized (and open source) software for all those retaliers, banks, internet providers, media outlets, factories.....roflmao.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 05:41.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 02:36 Cutter

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 23:37:
Not at all. It was spot on. If you can't see the shift right in front of you, you're flocking blind!

Sent from my iPad, edited from my Android.

And if you believe it you're a tool with zero foresight and understanding of people. The cloud is just another fad. Most people and business don't need it and they sure as it shit don't want it for a million reasons. Same with tablets. For some careers they can be practical. For most careers and most people they're little more than a toy. You need to do real work you do in on a PC or laptop. And that says nothing of how many people use their PC as their main entertainment center. In short there are so many reasons the PC is going nowhere for a long time it's ridiculous to assume otherwise. So yes, the authour is either a troll or just an idiot.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 01:18 mag

I don't agree with going to computing as a service. Dumb terminals and clouds? No.

And is the desktop dead? Yeah, in the same way as Castro is. It may still be kicking around, but it has no influence, no one pays attention, and only real purists still give a shit.

As much as people seem to want the desktop to die, it's not going to happen. Gaming sucks on laptops, and doing Real Work sucks on laptops. The screens and keyboards are too small and touchpads are frustratingly limited compared to a mouse. And if you need to do any heavy computing, a <$1000 desktop is more capable computationally than a $2000 laptop.

Sure, people that only use computers to consume media? The desktop can probably die for them. Anyone that actually needs to do work that involves more than one window or anyone that wants to play games? Don't see it happening.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 01:16 Scud

Oh sure, aside from people who do actual work on desktops, play games on desktops, watch TV and movies on desktops. Sooooooo, yeah, nobody at all really.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 00:38 Beamer

-------------

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 00:16 Gas Bandit

Yeah, they've been declaring the death of the PC for nigh on 20 years now. I'll continue to take Joe Wilcox's smug, masturbatory, self-aggrandizing prognostication with great big chunks of salt.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo