Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 09:33 Beamer

I always find it funny when people respond to me and fail to distinguish between desktop and PC.

One of you was right in your response to me. Just one. And it's true that laptop gaming sucks now, but the gap has been closing and PC gaming as a whole is becoming less resource intense.

The rest of you, though? Jesus, I've been posting laptop and desktop sales trends here for years. Years. In 2008 desktops were 45% of computing sales. 38% in 2009. 32% in 2010. THEY WERE LESS THAN A THIRD OF COMPUTER SALES IN 2010!

I don't know a single person that's purchased a computer in the past 3 years and bought a desktop other than myself. I know hundreds that have purchased laptops. Hell, at this point even corporations have given up on desktops because laptops are cheaper, allow for easier multi-monitor setups and let employees work from home.
2011 was the first year in which laptop sales to small/medium businesses were higher than desktop sales.

I'm not sitting here saying everyone will do everything on tablets, which some of you like to pretend because you're too set in your ways to understand that "desktop" and "pc" are not synonyms. But you're idiots if you think either the laptop or the desktop will be the primary way of computing in 2025. You're idiots if you don't realize that just because small, portable methods of computing are less powerful and harder to input TODAY means they will be 15 years from now. You're idiots if you don't think cellphones that wirelessly connect to docking stations don't have a strong chance of completely destroying the PC industry as it stands, and that it isn't a bad thing as absolutely nothing would change from it.

But what really blows my mind is how many of you just stick your head in the sand and pretend that desktop sales haven't completely fallen off a cliff as laptops have become cheaper yet still plenty powerful enough to do anything. Fuck, man, just look at Apple, who leads the industry on all trends, and ask yourself what they're selling. Hint: desktops are the last thing they want to sell you, and the last thing anyone is buying from them. But you can also open your Best Buy flyer, or walk into a Target, or even load up Dell.com and take a look at the product offering. Again, HINT: laptops are everywhere, desktops are hard to find.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 12, 23:08 Re: Evening Tech Bits Cutter
  2. Mar 12, 23:37  Re: Evening Tech Bits Steele Johnson
  8. Mar 13, 02:36   Re: Evening Tech Bits Cutter
  3. Mar 13, 00:15  Re: Evening Tech Bits Burrito of Peace
  4. Mar 13, 00:16 Re: Evening Tech Bits Gas Bandit