Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Scrolls Will Be Scrolls

The Mojang Website announces the lawsuit over whether Mojang's could name a game Scrolls in light of Bethesda Softworks' trademark for The Elder Scrolls. It turns out they will use the name, but are not challenging the trademark, which sounds like it was an amicable solution:

We have settled the lawsuit over Scrolls and Mojang and Bethesda are friends again.

To answer the big question – yes Scrolls is still going to be called Scrolls.

To answer the second question – we aren’t going to keep the trade mark.

For us this was never about a trade mark but being able to use Scrolls as the name of our game which we can – Yey.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 12, 2012, 02:45 jacobvandy

Oh yeah, the LEGO thing! That is definitely happening, too, I saw they officially announced it a little while ago. Of course they'll have the little play sets, but I think it'd be really cool if they came out with randomly pre-assembled chunks of terrain (rough cube shape with maybe 100 bricks to a side) that you can "dig" through to find stuff like metals and diamonds or caverns with monsters in them.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 23:18 Dev

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 22:17:
I still say it's just PR bullshit. I have no doubt he's done pretty well with that but there's no way he has those sorts of numbers.
No way because you don't think so? I guess you are the authority then.
To me, the fact that I see minecraft nearly EVERYWHERE, indicates its a dang popular game. I see it in comics, in youtube, in news stories, in people making things. There was that minecraft lego thing too. You know the one where lego has a community site for people to submit designs, and if they get a certain number of votes they it gets reviewed by lego employees with an eye towards making it for sale. The one where a metric ton of minecraft owners voted it way past the amount needed in a record time for lego projects and overloaded lego's servers.

This isn't the first game to sell over a million PC copies, and I doubt it will be the last either.
Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 22:17:
He strikes me as a pathological liar. This is just another example.
Examples such as?
Most of the stuff I see him doing is more misteps than lies. Like not having some of the features in a certain patch they said they were going to, that probably means they will come in a later patch and they just couldn't do it in time. It doesn't mean they will never ever do it. Or this whole scrolls thing, like I said before he shoulda just picked a different name. Scrolls is not exactly imaginative.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2012, 23:41.

27. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 22:37 Creston

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 17:04:
First off, Bethesda really can't object to anyone using scroll, there have been a good number of games that used that word in their title, that precedes their trademark.

The entire thing was silly. The only dumb company here is Bethesda as usual.

Bethesda didn't object to Mojang wanting to call the game Scrolls. They objected to Mojang wanting to TRADEMARK EVERY USE OF THE WORD SCROLLS.

Creston

26. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 22:36 Creston

For us this was never about a trade mark

So why did you try to trademark the entire word then? And why didn't you just back out when Bethesda said "Yeah, about that 'scrolls' trademark, we're not going to be happy with that, because, you know, elder SCROLLS series."

Seems like a lot of smoke being blown. Anyway, one fewer lawsuit clogging up the system.

Creston

25. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 22:22 Jensen

Dev wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 21:23:
Incidentally, the 14k copies per day is impressive, I knew sales were still good, but didn't know it was still that high. Doesn't change my opinion though that mojang should be working on something else minecraft for PC such as DLC or expansions or minecraft 2.
The weekly average is about 10k copies per day. Mojang brings in more every two weeks than the entire Double Fine Kickstarter project.

Why should they work on another Minecraft? They have enough money to work on whatever they want to. Notch's motivation for making games isn't money. He makes games because he likes making games. Isn't that part of the reason for being independent?

24. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 22:17 Cutter

He claims those are his sales and we have no way to verify it. I still say it's just PR bullshit. I have no doubt he's done pretty well with that but there's no way he has those sorts of numbers. He strikes me as a pathological liar. This is just another example. If it wasn't about a trademark how come he tried to trademark it on everything?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 21:23 Dev

Kosumo wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 21:06:
Also in point to Devs "Also, at least half his money went away to taxes." How do you know that? Are you just saying Sweden(?) has a flat %50 tax rate with no rebates for company cost i.e. buying more things/hiring workers?

If he is not putting each and every dollar of his profit into his personal bank account but is still part of his company (worth alot, but not a realized return) he could well be paying way less taxes than you say.

Do you have a good understanding of his taxes or do you just think that?
Easy enough to figure out, since he did a big chunk of it before becoming a company, and last I checked, personal income tax in Sweden is about that much split between employer and employee (in this case he was self employed).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Sweden
I see a 48.3% rate on that webpage.

IANAL, and you are free to spend the time to research it more exactly if you like. I feel reasonably confidant in my educated guess.
In addition, sweden also has a VAT tax of 25%. From those 2 numbers, a picture of a fairly high tax burden is evident.

Incidentally, the 14k copies per day is impressive, I knew sales were still good, but didn't know it was still that high. Doesn't change my opinion though that mojang should be working on something else minecraft for PC such as DLC or expansions or minecraft 2.

22. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 21:06 Kosumo

http://www.minecraft.net/stats ==== total balls in the face!!

As a person who enjoys and does play minecraft (at times, then no minecraft for months then back on) I'm amazed at those stats!

Good on them. (it's more than just Notch now)

Also in point to Devs "Also, at least half his money went away to taxes." How do you know that? Are you just saying Sweden(?) has a flat %50 tax rate with no rebates for company cost i.e. buying more things/hiring workers?

If he is not putting each and every dollar of his profit into his personal bank account but is still part of his company (worth alot, but not a realized return) he could well be paying way less taxes than you say.

Do you have a good understanding of his taxes or do you just think that?

21. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 20:41 Fibrocyte

Efflixi wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 20:27:
Graham wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 19:45:
I don't suppose you could cite the source for $300k-$400k per day being pulled in, could you? 20,000 copies per day seems quite impressive, and I haven't heard anything of the sort from Notch or Mojang.

http://www.minecraft.net/stats

"13,288 people bought the game."

Jesus H. Macy

20. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 20:27 Efflixi

Graham wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 19:45:
I don't suppose you could cite the source for $300k-$400k per day being pulled in, could you? 20,000 copies per day seems quite impressive, and I haven't heard anything of the sort from Notch or Mojang.

http://www.minecraft.net/stats

19. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 19:51 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 17:36:
Dev wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 15:09:
He's spreading his company too thin with too many projects at once that aren't minecraft related (minecraft is a very successful IP for him, but if he doesn't exploit it, it doesn't do him much good in the future).

The mobile phone version of Minecraft costs $7 and sold a million copies in the past three months, the Xbox version of Minecraft is probably going to sell as well as the PC version has for $10-15 when it comes out in the next month or two when it pioneers free, frequent updates on the XBLA... What else do you want them to do? Minecraft PC is still pulling in 3-4 hundred thousand dollars per DAY, they have plenty of freedom to branch out with that kind of income alone.
I seriously doubt the xbox version will sell as well as the PC version. Many indies don't sell as well on the xbox as PC, despite developers expectations. We've seen stories posted here on blues where the devs say when they debut on steam the first week, it sells more than the whole time it existed on xbox. Part of it is how MS doesn't really help out much in making the xbox indies visible, and from dev accounts they also don't seem to be very friendly to indies either. 5 million indie seller on xbox, you really expect that?

What I'm referring to is working on DLC and expansions and minecraft 2. There are upcoming minecraft like projects and things like terraria that may well draw away minecraft players if they don't do things like that for the playerbase.

But hey, I'm not running the company, he can do what he likes. And I'm not always right either, maybe spreading himself out all over and becoming a publisher for weird things like a digital CCG into a saturated marketplace will work out for him.

18. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 19:45 Graham

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 17:36:
He's spreading his company too thin with too many projects at once that aren't minecraft related (minecraft is a very successful IP for him, but if he doesn't exploit it, it doesn't do him much good in the future).

The mobile phone version of Minecraft costs $7 and sold a million copies in the past three months, the Xbox version of Minecraft is probably going to sell as well as the PC version has for $10-15 when it comes out in the next month or two when it pioneers free, frequent updates on the XBLA... What else do you want them to do? Minecraft PC is still pulling in 3-4 hundred thousand dollars per DAY, they have plenty of freedom to branch out with that kind of income alone.

17. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 18:18 bigspender

should have changed the game title to:

NOT Elder Scrolls

just to provoke them

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

16. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 17:40 Alamar

The most disappointing part of this entire fiasco was the lack of some good Q3 action ; )

-Alamar

15. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 17:36 jacobvandy

14. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 17:04 Ozmodan

First off, Bethesda really can't object to anyone using scroll, there have been a good number of games that used that word in their title, that precedes their trademark.

The entire thing was silly. The only dumb company here is Bethesda as usual.

13. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 17:01 Dev

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 15:46:
Dude, you think he fucking cares? He's richer than God. Chump change to him.
And if he spends it like water in lots of unwise directions and doesn't invest in proven moneymaking IP, soon he won't be.
Also, at least half his money went away to taxes.

12. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 17:00 Silicon Avatar

Scrolls is still a forgettably generic crap name and I don't see why Notch fought so hard to use it.

It's like naming your game "Beige".

11. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 16:21 Bludd

Bethesda HAD to fight for their trademark. In US law, if you don't move to protect your trademark, you risk losing it.  

10. Re: Scrolls Will Be Scrolls Mar 11, 2012, 15:46 ForgedReality

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 13:40:
I don't care what anyone says, this was a scumbag move from Bethesda.

And it was an even stupider move of Notch to even try and fight over this. The last thing he needs is an expensive legal battle (even if he's 100% in the right).

Not having the trademark means that anyone else can come up with a game called scrolls too if they like, so it would have been better to choose a name he could trademark.

And not only that, but trying to push yet another digital Collectible Card Game in an already saturated market, wasn't the best call either. He's spreading his company too thin with too many projects at once that aren't minecraft related (minecraft is a very successful IP for him, but if he doesn't exploit it, it doesn't do him much good in the future).

IANAL

Dude, you think he fucking cares? He's richer than God. Chump change to him.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo