Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No PvP in Diablo III Launch

A PvP Update on the Diablo III Website says that as they count down the days to the announcement of a release date for Diablo III, Blizzard has decided that the PvP systems in the action/RPG sequel are not ready for release, but that rather than delay the game, they are removing PvP and will add it in a future update:

As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you’ll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you’ll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We’ll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team’s skulls.

We know a lot of you are looking forward to PvP, and we’ll be focusing our post-launch efforts on making sure the Arenas are as brutal, bloody, fast-paced, and awesome as we know they can be. In the meantime, we’re in the process of putting the finishing touches on what we think is a truly epic campaign and co-op experience for launch.

We’ll have a lot more info to share on the PvP system in the future, and we look forward to the moment we can get the game into your hands.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:02 jdreyer

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you’ll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you’ll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

Hahahaha. Spin much?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:00 Parallax Abstraction

Between the very dated looks, bad voice acting and completely unevolved play mechanics, the beta for this was already making me wonder if it was worth buying. Plus the whole always-on DRM thing and now they're stripping features out before launch. Yeah, I think I might skip this out of the gate.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

13. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 22:55 WyldKat

This is staggering, especially how much Blizz hyped up Diablo 3's PVP and how esports friendly it supposedly was.  

12. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 22:19 theyarecomingforyou

To be fair, Blizzard games tends to evolve over time. It's very much like TF2 in that respect, as the launch game bares little relation to how it will end up. The lack of any one particular feature at launch isn't important to the overall legacy of the game. At least this way people can enjoy the storyline and get into PVP later, which will actually make for a better experience.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 22:09 AnointedSword

Yup this, yup that...You cannot win for losing...The reason they are releasing this is because of whining punks that want their cake and eat it too...With that said, release the game or wait longer? Not rocket science...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

10. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 22:05 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 21:51:
So much for Blizzard's "when it's ready" days.

Yep - ship now, patch later.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 21:57 Icewind

I doubt anyone remembers, but back in the old B.net community, I remember when it was announced that Diablo 2 would have a PvP toggle and that you could only PK players who had it effectively "turned on" and everyone shit a brick in Ogden's Tavern.

Still cracks me up to this day. A lot of the old farts stayed in D1, thankfully. Or moved to Ultima Online.

Diablo 3 looks like shit more and more every day though. It's like an inferior version of Torchlight.

I'd rather get Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn. Both are basically what the gaming public expected Diablo 3 to be anyway.

8. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 21:51 Cutter

So much for Blizzard's "when it's ready" days.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 21:43 Tumbler

This game seems to be snow balling...still...it's Blizzard. As screwed up as things seem to be they'll probably come out smelling like rainbows and lollipops and the game will be amazing. (for people who like their games)  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:56 Shok

I think they are under pressure to get it out this year to appease all the WoW gamers who renewed for a year after falling for the carrot dangling ploy.  

5. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:52 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 20:32:
For every valid instance of PVP in Diablo there were no fewer than a thousand griefs.
Damn if that isn't so true that there are ballads for it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:35 Dev

If they are counting the days until an announcement of a date, I'm thinking this year it will be released.
Mordhaus wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 20:32:
At the rate they are pulling features, they might as well just call it Diablo 2 1080p.
I think I might rather have that actually.

3. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:32 PHJF

For every valid instance of PVP in Diablo there were no fewer than a thousand griefs.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:32 Mordhaus

At the rate they are pulling features, they might as well just call it Diablo 2 1080p.  

1. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:31 eunichron

It will be available via the exclusive $20 Diablo 3 Arena DLC...

Although I typically never PvP'd in Diablo or Diablo 2, I'm getting pretty close to canceling this preorder.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo