Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PvP in Diablo III Launch

A PvP Update on the Diablo III Website says that as they count down the days to the announcement of a release date for Diablo III, Blizzard has decided that the PvP systems in the action/RPG sequel are not ready for release, but that rather than delay the game, they are removing PvP and will add it in a future update:

As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you’ll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you’ll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We’ll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team’s skulls.

We know a lot of you are looking forward to PvP, and we’ll be focusing our post-launch efforts on making sure the Arenas are as brutal, bloody, fast-paced, and awesome as we know they can be. In the meantime, we’re in the process of putting the finishing touches on what we think is a truly epic campaign and co-op experience for launch.

We’ll have a lot more info to share on the PvP system in the future, and we look forward to the moment we can get the game into your hands.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 08:47 Alamar

Dades wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 08:44:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 22:19:
To be fair, Blizzard games tends to evolve over time. It's very much like TF2 in that respect, as the launch game bares little relation to how it will end up. The lack of any one particular feature at launch isn't important to the overall legacy of the game. At least this way people can enjoy the storyline and get into PVP later, which will actually make for a better experience.

To be fair nothing, this is an essential multiplayer feature that shipped in previous games. Stop making excuses for them.

To be fair, you need to realize that, as much as you want this feature in, they want it in more. Unlike this thread, they deal in real priorities and cost-benefit ratios.

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 08:44 Dades

To be fair, Blizzard games tends to evolve over time. It's very much like TF2 in that respect, as the launch game bares little relation to how it will end up. The lack of any one particular feature at launch isn't important to the overall legacy of the game. At least this way people can enjoy the storyline and get into PVP later, which will actually make for a better experience.

To be fair nothing, this is an essential multiplayer feature that shipped in previous games. Stop making excuses for them.

33. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 07:27 Mordhaus

shihonage wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 03:52:
I can't find the Jango's suit quote by Lucas, by the way. It's nowhere to be seen.

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVKE_O-LAw[/url]

Skip to about :41 into the clip and you can hear the full quote.

32. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 07:22 Ozmodan

WyldKat wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 22:55:
This is staggering, especially how much Blizz hyped up Diablo 3's PVP and how esports friendly it supposedly was.

Doh, Blizzard does not make games for esports. Don't you remember the contentious problems with the Korean professional gamers and Starcraft II? You can be sure, Blizzard would never design a game for such.

31. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 07:19 Fibrocyte

Stolk wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 02:06:
Icewind wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 21:57:
I doubt anyone remembers, but back in the old B.net community, I remember when it was announced that Diablo 2 would have a PvP toggle and that you could only PK players who had it effectively "turned on" and everyone shit a brick in Ogden's Tavern.

Still cracks me up to this day. A lot of the old farts stayed in D1, thankfully. Or moved to Ultima Online.

Diablo 3 looks like shit more and more every day though. It's like an inferior version of Torchlight.

I'd rather get Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn. Both are basically what the gaming public expected Diablo 3 to be anyway.

I've played Torchlight and I've played the D3 beta. It's a cute comment but if you think Diablo 3 is inferior to Torchlight then you haven't played Diablo 3. But then you know how Torchlight 2 plays without playing it. Boggle.

I agree. It's fine to be a Torchlight fan but let's not make absurd statements.

30. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 05:48 Theo

This is staggering, especially how much Blizz hyped up Diablo 3's PVP and how esports friendly it supposedly was.

what? have you followed development at all or just like saying inacurate stuff? Jay Wilson has consistently said they are not aiming to be a esport because they dont want to think about pvp balance only pve balance.

This is a bit upsetting imo as the game has no "go hostile" feature like d2 had, so effectivly it has no pvp at all. that is something that has sustained d2 for a VERY VERY long time.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

29. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 03:52 shihonage

I can't find the Jango's suit quote by Lucas, by the way. It's nowhere to be seen.  

28. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 02:06 Stolk

Icewind wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 21:57:
I doubt anyone remembers, but back in the old B.net community, I remember when it was announced that Diablo 2 would have a PvP toggle and that you could only PK players who had it effectively "turned on" and everyone shit a brick in Ogden's Tavern.

Still cracks me up to this day. A lot of the old farts stayed in D1, thankfully. Or moved to Ultima Online.

Diablo 3 looks like shit more and more every day though. It's like an inferior version of Torchlight.

I'd rather get Torchlight 2 or Grim Dawn. Both are basically what the gaming public expected Diablo 3 to be anyway.

I've played Torchlight and I've played the D3 beta. It's a cute comment but if you think Diablo 3 is inferior to Torchlight then you haven't played Diablo 3. But then you know how Torchlight 2 plays without playing it. Boggle.

27. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 01:53 Dev

Mordhaus wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 01:48:
nin wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 00:37:
Ah yes, "The George Lucas Principle"

You mean:

"One of the fatal mistakes that almost every sci-fi film makes is spending so much time on the environment and effects...when the story is what is important" GL 1983

vs

"This sequence was designed to show off Jango's suit, you know...I wanted to use Jango's suit as much as we could and have some fun with it." GL 2002
Nice find.

I could forgive him everything except the massive retcon of Greedo shooting first. Also, the decision to demystify the force with the midichlorians was just stupid and unnecessary, and trying to throw in a virgin birth on top of that?

26. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 01:53 D_K_night

Great move. Not everyone is going to care that much about PvP yet. I definitely applaud this difficult decision by Blizzard and it's absolutely the right thing to do regarding PvP balance.

Leave it till later, there's other games which do PvP better anyways which are similar to Diablo 3 in controls...the DOTA clones, etc etc.

No big deal IMO.

25. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 01:48 Mordhaus

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 00:37:
Nate wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 00:32:
Cripes all the negative opinions here about D3. Your opinions are invalid as this will sell a zillion copies.

You mean:

"One of the fatal mistakes that almost every sci-fi film makes is spending so much time on the environment and effects...when the story is what is important" GL 1983

vs

"This sequence was designed to show off Jango's suit, you know...I wanted to use Jango's suit as much as we could and have some fun with it." GL 2002

24. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 00:37 nin

Cripes all the negative opinions here about D3. Your opinions are invalid as this will sell a zillion copies.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 00:35 killer_roach

Commercial success != quality.

22. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 10, 2012, 00:32 Nate

21. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:59 Ravor

I concur with you, but as you said that's long term. You won't see serious PvP for quite a while so if they don't implement it for a month or two I don't think it'll have much of a negative impact.  

20. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:56 Flatline

To be fair, Blizzard games tends to evolve over time. It's very much like TF2 in that respect, as the launch game bares little relation to how it will end up. The lack of any one particular feature at launch isn't important to the overall legacy of the game.

You mean like how the legacy of Starcraft 2 has blown the original out of the water with it's pedigree and- Owait... Feck.

19. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:46 Mordhaus

Ravor wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 23:31:
Stipping out features that 99% of people will never use isn't a big deal.

I think that pvp users will make up slightly more than 1% of the long term player base of the game. When you add in the items cut from single player and the general 'meh' factor from the beta dialogue, it starts to add up.

Like ME3, I'm probably wasting my time complaining about it. I'll still likely buy it but it may be the last Blizzard game I get if it is as bad as I fear it is going to be.

18. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:46 Lorcin

From my perspective - a fuck could not be less given. Unless the reviews tell me there's an actual story and characters I can get lost in then there's no way I'll buy this. As for PVP in Diablo - who cares. If I really want to PVP I'll boot a PVP aimed game. Not ever going to PVP in a SP game which they've tried to tack on MP for the console kiddies.  

17. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:31 Ravor

Stipping out features that 99% of people will never use isn't a big deal.  

16. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:05 Yakubs

and how esports friendly it supposedly was.

Uh, what? Blizzard has explicitly stated on many occasions that they have no intention of D3 PvP being an esport.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo