Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 "Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2012"

EA announces they have shipped 3.5 million units of Mass Effect 3 in the first week of availability of the action/RPG sequel, saying this makes it "the first pop culture event and the biggest entertainment launch of 2012." According to VentureBeat, EA estimates the game sold 890,000 units in North America in its first 24 hours of release.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 14:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 14:10:
It's just sad that whoever did the story at Bioware thought the ending(s) worked. It would have been cliche as hell, sure, but they very easily could have done an "and everyone lives happily ever after".
The thing is most people don't seem to care about "happily ever after" rather they care about "what the fuck just happened" and "what's going on with the rest of the companions, and everything else that I just did in the last 3 games.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 14:10 Bhruic

Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings

Well, Mass Effect 2 would be a decent example. If you don't do loyalty quests, or choose the wrong companions for jobs as you are doing the "suicide mission", you end up with significant consequences at the end of the story. Even in Mass Effect 1, it's the choice as you go that affects the ending (saving the council or not). It's not just a "pick your ending" situation.

It's just sad that whoever did the story at Bioware thought the ending(s) worked. It would have been cliche as hell, sure, but they very easily could have done an "and everyone lives happily ever after".

36. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 13:24 PHJF

I was doing good to make it through the first game, and lost interest in the second one early on. And while some may enjoy the gameplay of the series, I don't see anything in 3 that would cause me to check it out.

Yeah, I played through Mass Effect because it was solid science fiction and a passable adventure/aRPG. The whole Gears of War angle they've opted for, while definitely catering to the wider audience, is absolutely, positively not my cup of tea. ME3 gets a wide berth from me, never mind the EA/Origin hooplah.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 13:14 Sepharo

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 23:54:
I was doing good to make it through the first game, and lost interest in the second one early on. And while some may enjoy the gameplay of the series, I don't see anything in 3 that would cause me to check it out.

That's my experience with the series as well. Played through the first and enjoyed it, probably only played 1/4 of the second because I was so bored with the gameplay, though the story and presentation was great. I'll watch the third on YouTube sometime I guess.

34. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:42 WarpCrow

Ratty wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:33:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:33:
Doesn't mean I like it, frankly I thought the ending(s) sucked. I felt the same way I did with the Deus Ex endings - instead of having the various decisions I made along the way matter, they just give you a bunch of options (crappy ones in this case) and make you choose. Ending cop-out 101.
Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings. All the Deus Exs did it, FO3 and FO:NV, Elder Scrolls, etc. I'm with you: that has always annoyed me no end.

The only game I can think of that truly did branching into radically different games based on decisions you made was one called Strife. It was built on the original Doom engine, so you know how long ago that was.

Wasn't there an article here a couple of days ago mentioning how game designers were loathe to ever put things in a game that not everybody would see? Perfectly understandable but I don't have to like it.

New Vegas wasn't so bad with that. At least it wasn't just a selection of hallways or buttons at the end representing the various endings like the new Deus Ex or ME3.

33. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:33 Ratty

Doesn't mean I like it, frankly I thought the ending(s) sucked. I felt the same way I did with the Deus Ex endings - instead of having the various decisions I made along the way matter, they just give you a bunch of options (crappy ones in this case) and make you choose. Ending cop-out 101.
Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings. All the Deus Exs did it, FO3 and FO:NV, Elder Scrolls, etc. I'm with you: that has always annoyed me no end.

The only game I can think of that truly did branching into radically different games based on decisions you made was one called Strife. It was built on the original Doom engine, so you know how long ago that was.

Wasn't there an article here a couple of days ago mentioning how game designers were loathe to ever put things in a game that not everybody would see? Perfectly understandable but I don't have to like it.

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:30 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 05:11:
Calling a March release the "biggest launch of the year" is something I'd expect to read in The Onion...
Technically I'm sure its true... for the releases up until this moment. I doubt its going to hold that position for long though. At the very least, whatever yearly CoD game that comes out will beat it.

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:04 Bhruic

I'll let you know in 10 hours. Nice to be on a break for a change.

Heh, you're going to beat me. I could only find one of my ME1->ME2 saves, so I went back to ME1 to do another playthrough. It'll be interesting to do all 3 of them back-to-back. At least I'll remember the choices I've made in the previous games this time.

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 11:51 Mashiki Amiketo

Mordhaus wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 07:35:
I am hoping against hope that the rumored +1 ending you get from repeating the campaign will be better, but it's likely going to be a waste of time on my part.
I'll let you know in 10 hours. Nice to be on a break for a change.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 11:07 fujiJuice

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 00:04:
Mordhaus wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 23:32:
Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 21:59:
I'd love to know if Aria T'loak is based on a composite of females or inspired by someone in particular. Seems to me her face is very familiar and reminds me of someone in particular though it escapes me at the moment and is driving me insane. I find both her ruthlessness and aloofness incredibly hot and wish there was a really raunchy sex scene with her. :P

Aria was voiced and faced by Carrie-Anne Moss, aka Trinity from the Matrix.

Yeah, I know that and she does an amazing job. However, I mean how the character looks. Her face is just really damn familiar. Something about the eyes and mouth. Anyay, as the Asari go she's the hottest IMO.

He said voiced and faced.

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 07:35 Mordhaus

OMG, you nailed it. I felt that the endings reminded me of some other game I'd played. I completely forgot about the Deus Ex endings. Spot on comparison, imo. I am hoping against hope that the rumored +1 ending you get from repeating the campaign will be better, but it's likely going to be a waste of time on my part.

I wonder if they will listen to the fans and maybe do DLC endings, or is it pitiful that I would actually pay for the DLC to watch a good ending?

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 07:30 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 05:11:
Calling a March release the "biggest launch of the year" is something I'd expect to read in The Onion...

I'm about 20 hours in to the story (and nearly the same amount of time spent so far in MP) and I'm liking it, but it's basically the same situation as Dragon Age II -- they churned out a very ambitious game in two years, so the overall quality suffered significantly, compared to its predecessor. If anyone still had any doubts about BioWare losing control of their product since becoming EA property, surely they've been put to rest now. Still on the high side as far as being a developer that makes games worth playing, but submitting to big-time corporate scheduling has taken away their capability to create something truly great. And unfortunately, selling millions of copies the first week tells them that the formula has worked out just fine...

And this doesn't make you think BiowarEA is still in control? Please. They lost control at day one. They could never make a Baldur's Gate again. Not even close. It's just been a long slow demise. I appreciate the game for what it is, but it's still just schlock.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 07:22 Fibrocyte

ASeven wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 06:46:
Possible spoilers:

http://i.imgur.com/plXNC.jpg

That's.... funny.

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 06:46 ASeven

Possible spoilers:

http://i.imgur.com/plXNC.jpg

24. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 05:11 jacobvandy

I'm about 20 hours in to the story (and nearly the same amount of time spent so far in MP) and I'm liking it, but it's basically the same situation as Dragon Age II -- they churned out a very ambitious game in two years, so the overall quality suffered significantly, compared to its predecessor. If anyone still had any doubts about BioWare losing control of their product since becoming EA property, surely they've been put to rest now. Still on the high side as far as being a developer that makes games worth playing, but submitting to big-time corporate scheduling has taken away their capability to create something truly great. And unfortunately, selling millions of copies the first week tells them that the formula has worked out just fine...

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 04:45 Luke

what ever gratz with your origin infected consoleport :clowns  

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 04:33 Bhruic

Sadly, someone at bioware needs a punch in the kittens over the ending. The entire thing feels like someone had a seizure and tacked it on.

It was bad, but it didn't feel tacked on, it completely fit with the style that they'd been pushing the whole game.

Spoiler tags:
The whole "dream" thing with the kid, the various sequences where you faced Kai Lang, where even if you were easily kicking his ass, they forced you to lose to him, the various and relatively heavy handed forced character deaths... That's all similar in style to what they did with the ending.

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 03:39 Mashiki Amiketo

There are defiantly some fun and great stuff about it. But the entire thing is even more linear than ME2 and that's saying something. Sadly, someone at bioware needs a punch in the kittens over the ending. The entire thing feels like someone had a seizure and tacked it on. I'm guessing by the ~800 page thread at last look about the same thing, people agree. And that was 700 pages before the europeans and asians got their hands on the game.

Let me say 8.0 before the ending, 7.1ish after the ending.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 00:04 Cutter

Mordhaus wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 23:32:
Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 21:59:
I'd love to know if Aria T'loak is based on a composite of females or inspired by someone in particular. Seems to me her face is very familiar and reminds me of someone in particular though it escapes me at the moment and is driving me insane. I find both her ruthlessness and aloofness incredibly hot and wish there was a really raunchy sex scene with her. :P

Aria was voiced and faced by Carrie-Anne Moss, aka Trinity from the Matrix.

Yeah, I know that and she does an amazing job. However, I mean how the character looks. Her face is just really damn familiar. Something about the eyes and mouth. Anyay, as the Asari go she's the hottest IMO.

I do love that line from Wreav replying to asked if the Krogan are ready to fight and he replies "That's like asking if an Asari is ready to mate." *dirty laughter*

One of my other favourite touches in-game so far are some of the background conversations. Partiuclarly between to the two female grunts as you make the transition from the war room to the ship proper. And the one between Garrus and Vega with the macho who's faced down the hardest enemies and got the scars to show for it thing. That made me LOL!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 9, 2012, 23:54 nin

I know that some of the reviews are going to be little more than trolls,

Yeah, my only point was that, while some people might have registered to talk about an actual annoyance or grievance they encountered with the game, it appears there's also folks that are bombing it just for the sake of bombing it.

Having said that, I was doing good to make it through the first game, and lost interest in the second one early on. And while some may enjoy the gameplay of the series, I don't see anything in 3 that would cause me to check it out.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo