Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer

A Role Warfare Interview on GameTrailers.com talks with Russ Bullock of Piranha Games about MechWarrior Online, the upcoming mech combat shooter in a video that contains a the first looks at gameplay. Thanks Hump.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 12, 2012, 04:52 Jerykk

Single Player games continue to die a slow painful death

Not exactly. This game is multiplayer-only because that's the only way to make a profitable F2P game. If this game wasn't F2P, it wouldn't get made. If the game does well, there's a chance that the devs might make a single-player game. However, if the game flops, there's no chance.

So what happens when 1 of your 4 squad members disconnects, suddenly its 4 vs 3 and you lose, when a bot would take over, you might not.

I can't think of any game where a bot is good enough to replace an actual player.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 11, 2012, 03:39 saluk

Kastagir wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 16:23:
I don't want a multiplayer MechWarrior game for the same reason I've never played WoW. As nice as this looks, without a single player campaign or at least a skirmish mode, this holds no interest for me. This game was originally going to be a single-player reboot of the franchise. Although I'm sure many welcome the opportunity to thrash each other in battlemechs, I remain underwhelmed and disappointed.

Single Player games continue to die a slow painful death This is almost on the level of Syndicate making a random fps and slapping Syndicate on the title for me.

Can we all go back in time and not buy quake 3 or Unreal Tournament? Too bad those games were so fun that I didn't know what I was going to lose.

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 17:32 jdreyer

Shataan wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 14:50:
This is still Alpha footage... right? I am looking forward to seeing what the final release will offer. at this point, it is still way too early to say yeah or nay.

They are doing open beta in June, so I would say this is already in beta. The engine and gameplay looked complete from the footage, they're just adding polish.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 16:23 Kastagir

I don't want a multiplayer MechWarrior game for the same reason I've never played WoW. As nice as this looks, without a single player campaign or at least a skirmish mode, this holds no interest for me. This game was originally going to be a single-player reboot of the franchise. Although I'm sure many welcome the opportunity to thrash each other in battlemechs, I remain underwhelmed and disappointed.

Edit: and why do we need to look at the guy being interviewed for more than 2/3 of the "trailer." Surely they could have come up with more in-game video and just played his voice over it after the intro. As it was, I got tired of watching it.

20. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 14:50 Shataan

This is still Alpha footage... right? I am looking forward to seeing what the final release will offer. at this point, it is still way too early to say yeah or nay.  

19. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 14:49 Zoom

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 22:11:
Heh, seriously though. This has me wondering about tactics now. Could you employ a swarm mentality with a dozen or so scout mechs zipping around chipping away at the assault mechs as they try to keep up?
As a former commander of a (successful) mercenary unit in MW2, MW3 then MW4, and countless table top Battletech games, i can say this tactics works even with fewer small mechs if the guy in the assault mech doesnt know how to do his job. On the other hand, with a proper lance, the big guy's back will be covered by at least one medium or heavy mech who will keep the small fry away and generally take care of his blind spot.
Of course if the assault mech spots the little guys before they come at range, and if he knows how to do his job, they better not come in range of his main guns..

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 14:27 eRe4s3r

I think you should mod more ;p  

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 13:01 Dmitri_M

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:23:
Its the cry-engine - which comes with one of the best AI API subsystems there is. So no, apart from the maps it would take minuscule effort to add an AI controlled bot. It needs waypoints, yes, but its not like mechs have intricate movement patterns, a simple grid and "don't go there" map would be enough.

They use the cryengine SDK so not including bots is laziness, and not a cost issue.

I think you should stick to armchair game development.

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 12:43 Spaced

Nice! This video is very encouraging, the look and feel of a true mech game is there. If the controls are done right, this could be great. I'm looking forward to this (and no Steam required, excellent!).  

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 12:23 eRe4s3r

Its the cry-engine - which comes with one of the best AI API subsystems there is. So no, apart from the maps it would take minuscule effort to add an AI controlled bot. It needs waypoints, yes, but its not like mechs have intricate movement patterns, a simple grid and "don't go there" map would be enough.

They use the cryengine SDK so not including bots is laziness, and not a cost issue.

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 10:21 Dmitri_M

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:47:
Is simple developer laziness, there is no reason not to have bots and skirmishes apart from the fact that it takes effort.

They'd have to hire AI programmers. They'd have to build the maps in such as way that AI can navigate them. There's a whole host of additional COST and quality assurance issues that involve adding bots. It isn't simply "effort".

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 10:20 eRe4s3r

it costs time, the most valuable thing there is ^^

Piranha Games haven't managed a single bugfree game yet so who knows, maybe this one will be their grand success... it looks a lot better than Hawken so there is at least that

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 07:33 Cutter

I don't disagree but it that sort of stuf really doesn't happen all that much anymore. I can count the times - literally - when my connection craps out and when it's my ISP - rare in the extreme - and shit on the net. So if worst comes to worst and that happens, who really care because it doesn't cost you a damn thing anyway!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 07:23 Hump

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:47:
So what happens when 1 of your 4 squad members disconnects, suddenly its 4 vs 3 and you lose, when a bot would take over, you might not.

Is simple developer laziness, there is no reason not to have bots and skirmishes apart from the fact that it takes effort.

I would hardly call these guys "lazy". Second, if someone drops out you will be faced with the same issue had one of your lancemates been killed.....you soldier on and do the best you can. If you win the victory is that much sweeter. Lastly, we don't know if there will or won't be bots.

BT fans are truly lucky that we have Russ and Bryan attached to this project. They "get it". Much of what they are implementing is stuff that we've dreamed about for years but never saw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 04:47 eRe4s3r

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 00:08 Cutter

I admit the ONLY thing I dislike about PvP only is the potential for griefing. However, if they're controlling the servers and moderating it hopefully it can be kept to a minimum. I prefer real human opponents over bots for the thrill. I just hate when it becomes about griefing BS. The other upside with them controlling servers is the minimizing of cheats. So there's pluses and minuses to it either way.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2012, 23:23 jdreyer

The fun of MW was at least as much in the mech lab as on the battlefield. Unfortunately, they didn't show any of that.

Nice graphics, and the mechs look like they have weight. Also, I noticed heat management and location-based damage intact, so not dumbing it down too much.

It would be good if they could add a goal-based game play mode, which is the typical mission in most MW games. Sounded from the interview like they had just deathmatch and last man standing modes at launch. But something like a one team has to protect a fusion reactor while another team has to destroy it would make things more interesting.

It's really a shame there won't be single player or skirmish with bots.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2012, 22:37 The Half Elf

Sorry Cutter you'll have to play in the Big Boy Mech's as I stick with scout/medium mech's.

Was trying to load up MekTek's MW4 today so I could get some Uziel action in but kept error'ing on me

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2012, 22:11 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 20:50:
Here is my kidney's, gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme NOW!

I'm scared Helf! I'll scout for you and you need to protect me or I'll just hide behind rocks and cry like a little girl the whole time!

Heh, seriously though. This has me wondering about tactics now. Could you employ a swarm mentality with a dozen or so scout mechs zipping around chipping away at the assault mechs as they try to keep up? I guess we'll see. Anyway, good to FINALLY see some goddamned footage. I think we can safely say that we're at least willing to give it the benefit of the doubt now and can't wait to try it out.

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2012, 21:50 xXBatmanXx

Ask and you shall receive (in reference to thread from yesterday)  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo